1997 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Wow!
By Oh, joy! on 02/18/07 18:26 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought this car just shy of two weeks ago and I cannot believe how pleased I am already. The GT is a performance machine that lives up to every expectation. It gets going in a hurry, feels like it will never let go of the road, and makes the driver truly a part of the drive. Sitting in this car felt like home to me right from the start of the test drive. It is also a Toyota, which gives me every confidence in its reliability. Finally, the fun-to-drive factor is way beyond a mere "10." The only negative I can find about it is the placement of the cupholders. But this is a non-issue placed alongside the overwhelming positives. It's a winner.

Cute car, fun to drive
By Keri on 01/28/07 22:10 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car that I've had to myself. It is perfect for me. Very reliable, great gas mileage, and fun to drive. It has a tiny engine, but you can't tell by the way it drives. It has plenty of power for such a small car. It has sufficient room for me and for my stuff in the trunk (I am a musician). But it is pretty tight for carrying passengers. There are four seats and I don't recommend this car if you are tall. Other than that, it is a great little car. It is very sporty looking, and heads always turn as a drive past. I am extremely satified with my Celica.

All I could ask for
By Alan on 05/25/06 07:48 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

My daughter has been driving this vehicle for over 5 years and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The performance has been excellent, the maintenance very low and the overall cost of driving exceptional. The styling of the 97 Celica is classic and even after 9 years the body and paint are in excellent condition. It runs like a jewel and I believe it will continue to give us great service well beyond 150,000 miles. A great car!

My 97 blk,blk,blk Celica GT Convertible
By alan swiatek on 04/28/06 19:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased it last fall and have had a lot of fun with it. It handles great, you can speed up into turns and has great pep. My wife and I go for a ride, we crank up the stereo and feel like were 18 again. I have always liked the styling on this model. It is very sporty yet we can put more than a tooth brush in the trunk. The car is very clean and only has 73 k miles

My first car and I absolutely love it!
By stef on 03/25/06 11:02 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This car was designed and built for rally. If you know rally, you know the cars have to be quick, reliable and handle amazingly to win, and the celica is just that. Performance is rated down simply because a better engine exists. And I only rated it down for fuel economy and fun to drive because mine is an automatic. It only gets about 250 mi to the tank where a manual can get over 400. and manuals are just naturally more fun to drive.

Love my Celica
By Happy Camper on 07/14/05 17:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought the car new. Has 130000 miles and still acts new. Burns about 1/3 qt of oil /4000 miles between oil changes. Engine clean & dry. Great car for long auto vacation for two. Would like more than the 130 horsepower but is adequate. Expect to drive this car for many more years.

Toyota quality
By convertman on 05/18/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

Very nice car (bought as previously owned, w/only 69K miles). It drives almost like new. Did change the timing belt (also the thermo/eng. belts/etc.) and I've put about 3K miles on. So far, very reliable. Not a head-turner like the Z3/Miata, however, way more functional (bigger trunk, space to sit in the back seat) and much better reliability. It is still very fun to drive. I can see why the resale on these is so very good. They almost never break down. Even with the miles my car has on it, I can see, drive and feel how reliable a car it's been. The leather interior looks/smells new, the gadgets all work. Great combo of looks, utility, performance and economy.

I LOVE this car
By stef on 02/02/05 09:28 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I LOVE THIS CAR! It accommodates both my boyfriend [who is 6'-1"] and myself [5'-6"] comfortably. I drive it everyday and I drive anything but slow and the car keeps up. It hasn't let me down yet. If you're thinking of getting this car, do it.

Almost perfect
By Celica fan in DC on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I finally settled on this car after a year of shopping and have been happy with it ever since. The cockpit fits like a glove, with plenty of leg room (I'm 6'2"), the car corners on rails, and has enough power to get out of trouble. Surprisingly quiet with the top up and shear pleasure with it down. The reviewers seem to think something is wrong with the styling, but I still have people walk up to me at lights and tell me how beautiful the car is. After seven years of driving this car, I only have two real complaints - 1. The cup holders are in an awkward spot. 2. Toyota stopped making it.

buy this car
By blah2 on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

this is a great first car , its small and doesnt fit many people so its harder for a teenager to break the law. its reliable and easy to maintain. with only 105 hp stock it can be modified, however, it may be expensive because 1) its a toyota, and 2)its a front wheel drive so the transmission is in the front(the reason there is so much trunk space). even with over 120,000mi, it is reliable.