Used 1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Good car
By my first car

1990 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I was 15. It's a fun car to drive and the engine has enough power, it's just I would like a little more. I have put this car through hell literally. I have got it up to 124 MPH on the highway and there was almost nothing shaking. I've had it rocking on the side of the road it was stuck on a curb and me and my friends had to push it off. The cornering is amazing, the reliability is ridiculous I would recommend this to anybody who would want a car.

Gas mileage ain't half bad and it is a smaller car.

It would be nice to have a tach.

Great little car
By Cutshaw

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

If you find one of these in decent shape used buy it. Smart design, reliability all around, not hard to work on, easy regular maintenance, not too cramped despite being a small car. If you're savvy with the manual transmission you'll get well over 30mpg. Handles well at high speeds. I got this one a year ago and have put 15,000 miles on it, now at 148k and no problems. Doesn't have the best theft protection though. Mine was stolen and recovered 6 weeks later, a coat hanger through the foam door insulation pops the lock instantly and somehow they started it without a key or hot wiring it. Seems the ignition lock isn't very 'precise'. Invest in a crook lock.

Oil filter right on top, if you DRAIN the oil first none pours out onto the engine (duh!). Don't need to jack it up to remove the drain plug either (if you're not too rotund that is). Good acceleration with the stick shift. Everything still works after 18 years!

Not the best traction in snow/rain, rust around the wheels wells. Way too easy to steal.

Powerfully Reliable, NO RUST either
By citizenkane

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me from my parents, remember getting it from the dealer at age three. 140k miles, park it outside in the cold and salt of Evanston, Illinois, which has taken its toll somewhat. Still no rust, however, even around the wheel wells- a common gripe. The V6 is an amazing engine, when coupled with such a light car it can outrun 2006 model sedans with 220 horsepower. "Power" mode is ridiculously fun. Fuel economy is okay, around 19 for mostly city driving. However, it's a small price to pay for a car so ridiculously fun to drive.

Power moonroof, V6 pickup and "turbo-lag," lack of rust after 16 years

brakes a bit iffy, design becoming dated

You cant beat this car
By ROD/ASHLEY

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

This car is the best, 4th owner close to 400,000 miles and still truckin. Pick up is great, rides great. Of course their are a couple problems like the axles will not stop breaking, the alternator keeps frying, but I mean come on its 16 years old what would anyone expect

Good design, nice interior, they don't make cloth seats the way they make on this car anymore, it's a one in a million

Smoother ride

The Perfect Car
By A.J. Sub

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is as good as it gets. If you can find one that doesn't have rust on it, count on it running at least another 10 years. This was the old family car that was passed on to me, it has a solid 420,000km on it. Its now the car me and my friends use while on campus. While my dad had it, the torque converter went, that was the only major issue with it. It had its wheel bearings replaced thereafter. Aside from that, this is the perfect car for a dirty cheap price. If you treat this car to good maintenance, it'll stand by you forever! I've pushed this up to 160km/h last month without much effort. GREAT CAR. One of the finest vehicles ever made.

The fact that it still runs! I don't think any other car can claim this level of reliability. This car is also fully servicable yourself. I do all my own maintenance work and no fancy dealership visits are required like newer cars. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR SO MUCH!

As everyone knows, this car tends to rust up unless rustproofing was done from day one. Considering Toyota was just breaking through with this car in North America, you can't blame them. If your body is good, this car will last FOREVER. YOU CAN'T STOP IT!