Used 1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Bulletproof
By Kwak

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

Looking to buy a reliable car? This car must be on your list. Find a decent one and buy it. My 20 yr old Camry will shame most cars half its age. They just don't make them like this anymore. Even newer Toyotas can't match the 2nd Gen's. reliability. But if you want "Lust, Passion, Soul" ..go else where, and bring your wallet. Proof that you can fall in love with a "boring" car. I would buy another one in a heart beat. My car is at 200,000 and betting it will go 10 more years and rack up over 300,000 miles easy. I just hope they'll still make parts when I do get to that milestone. A perfect car for low budget, student, first car, commuter. Excellent Value.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort. Wagon is so practical. Ground clearance. Cheap repair costs (so far) timing belt, valve cover gasket, oil pump seal all for less than $400. wow . Great in the snow with all-weather tires, snow tires not needed. The confidence I have in my Camry to get me there again and again.

Suggested Improvements

Rust on wheel well. It's just dated, nothing you can do about that. Cup holder in way of radio, if you spill it, there goes the radio. Hill climbing power not good, had a line of angry skiers behind me up my a**.

1990 Camry V6 DX
By BadApple

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The car is great for 2600 bucks. I reccomend anyone buy a used one of these, rather than a brand new piece of poop. e.g. kia, hyundai V6 power will push you ahead of everyone else, and toyota quality is always great. Love my car, but don't like the modern era Camrys. Maybe when I get some grey hair, I'll get a grey, new Camry.

Favorite Features

power sunroof V6

Suggested Improvements

more pickup without having to press in "power" button

Had a few problems
By jerrymax

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage with inline-4 and manny tranny, comfortable ride for a small car, ample room for 5 people, nice traction with Aqua-tread tires.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now for that model, as it expired in 1991. I suspect many of those problems have since been addressed but I still believe Toyota's reputation for reliability is over-rated, as recent recalls in year 2010 seem to confirm.

Not as good as others I guess
By Scottie

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

1990 stick shift with 140K miles. Car doesn't like third gear (clutch, gas, count to '2', shift - easy does it- GRIND - ouch - clutch, gas). AC just went out last week, but it was really cold until then. Have an oil leak, had it repaired once but might be coming back. Hate the location of the oil filter, when you take it off oil runs down the front of the engine. I get about 29 mpg. Dropped about $2500 in repairs in 2001 and with the oil leak and AC going would guess I will have to pony up about another 2K or finally get a new car.

Favorite Features

Always starts, if battery is ok (we burn up batteries really bad where I live).

Suggested Improvements

Put oil filter on bottom of engine for cleaner changes.

bUyEr BeWaRe!!!!!!
By DontBuyACamry

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The toyota Camry is the worst car i have ever owned. Ever since we bought it brand new from the dealership, it has been nothing but problems. At 40k miles the engine seized on us. After the repacled engine at 60k the transmission failed. After getting the transmission fixed, it failed again at 80k. We have put more money into the car than it is worth. There is rust on every quarter panel. While the gas mileage is great, reliablity on the V-6 automatics is horrible. Overall a disaster car made by toyota. As a used car buyer I would not buy over 100k.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list.....