2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Paint Problem
By patc12 on 09/15/12 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Avalon new. I love this car but have one major problem. The paint on the hood is peeling. I contacted Toyota and they claim there have been no other complaints about this model having a paint issue. Anyone else out there have a 2001 with this issue? The other issue I have is with the sensors. I have replaced all or most of them and the check engine light remained on after the last replacement. This issue gets very expensive!

No problems at 177,000 miles
By dsper on 07/05/11 10:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2001 Avalon new. Replaced the timing belt at 100,000, replaced the alternator at 170,000 and the struts at 175,000. Otherwise, nothing but tires and brakes. Large comfortable four or five passenger car with plenty of zip. My other car is a Corvette when I feel the need to act like a kid.

Riding on smiles
By Ahmad on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have brought my Avalon xls with 103,000 km. and just loss it in an accident at 243,954 km. This car runs like magic, all my friends, are so surprise how beautiful, comfortable and spacious it is on the inside. most of the people I give a ride, after being amazed by the silences and smooth ride, do not believe it is a 2001, they think its a newer model. I am going to miss this car. but now I am on edmunds researching a 2005 avalon used one. just hoping I will get a even greater one. I am now using a 2010 toyota camry for the rental, and I still would choose my 2001 avalon ahead of the camry, not for the looks from outside, but for the comfort,low noise and luxury of the ride.

A poor quality car
By Greg on 07/29/10 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.

Champagne on a beer budget
By TMINJ on 05/24/10 21:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it w/ 127K 5 months ago, 159K now, paid $9K (well maintained) it is really a flawless car. Sure, I had to replace the timing belt and brakes, but that is what is expected at 100K miles. The ride on this car is smooth and it takes to hard corners like a bucket of water, but it is not a sports car and that should be understood. Ride / build is Lexus quality. Even with 159K miles on it is solid over bumps and shows no sign of its age. Interior space is outstanding and power seats make good comfort and lumbar support. This is my second Avalon and looking forward to breaking 300K on this one like I did my last one. Then I will buy another 8-9 year old Avalon and start all over again!

You Cannot Beat This Car!
By Ken Armstrong on 04/13/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Outside of tires and batteries, this car has had no repair work, and has never been in the shop with 80,000 miles. I do my own maintenance. Original brakes with a lot of city driving. Hey, just use the transmission to slow down. Not a hot rod, not a sports car, but runs great and handles pretty darn well too. The ride is superb and the car is extremely comfortable on long trips. Cannot ask for more than this car has given. The best value anyplace!

By mc on 03/01/10 20:03 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2001 used Avalon car and so far zero maintenance, except for one time computer broke down after the car hit at the parking area which is covered by the warranty that I purchased at the dealership. And the CD changer which is jumping and not working anymore which is not a big deal for me I just used the radio. but other than that, Car run smoothly, easy to manuever, easy to maintain and to clean, and I should say the most reliable Car.

Best Ever
By toylo on 02/22/10 13:22 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Avalon new in Oct.2000, my first Toyota ever. It's loaded with everything. I have 170K on it now. It has had every service required, have changed the oil every 5K. Hwy miles are 30-32mph, city 24-26. I went new car shopping today at Toyota. I love my Avalon but the new ones are bigger. Am thinking about a loaded camery. I've had many new cars and my Avalon is by far the best. I have no complaints about comfort, drivability, and looks.

8 yrs of comfort, speed, reliability
By Peter on 10/12/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After years we still love our efficient, fast, luxurious, super comfortable silent, low maintenance Toyota Avalon 2001 XL. We're both demanding drivers, but it puts up with our abuse, even jumping a tree trunk in front of the car in a snow storm and still coming out of it without wrecking. After 134,00 miles we finally are replacing original struts and shocks. A minor thing is that the check engine light comes on and off off late with an error code that may point to something related to the oil valve. At this moment the light is off though. Probably the new age of sensors comes with that kind of electronic oversensitivity.

Save your money. Own an Avalon
By Keith on 08/21/09 05:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just recently sold a 1994 Toyota Camry with 364,000 miles on it. My wife has a 2004 Corolla with 143,000. I love Toyota's so much, that I wanted the top of the line Toyota with all the buttons without buying a new one. I found a 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS with 122,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and that's it so far. The car has excellent acceleration, braking, and the ride is luxury car smooth. The interior was well thought out with all the storage compartments. It has all the features of any luxury car like heated seats, mirrors, leather, power seats, climate control; front and rear 6 cd changer, power sunroof, etc.