Used 1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Taking a beating, but still ticking
By Bill

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 98 Avalon Love my JBL sound system. Great for tail gating and travel. Especially for travel because of road noise, which is still an issue for the newer models. I had two major issues with mine. The air conditioning sensor went bad and in 2004 engine was rebuilt due to sludge damage. Good news both were covered by Toyota. Iíve owned a Corona, Corolla, Land Cruiser, and Avalon. Favorite model was my Corolla. I donít think I will have to buy a new car if my Avalon keeps running as good as it has the last 6 years!

Exta Power button, and the JDL sound system!

fix the road noise!

She is 11 years old
By Luvs2run

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

and very reliable. I've done regular oil changes and semi scheduled maintenance. NO problems. Had an oil leak after a Jiffy lube oil change. Found local mechanic who fixed oil leak for $120. Dealer claimed needed to replace $2800 worth of parts. No one seemed to be able to find it except for one local Toyota Repair tech. Had pan for oil drips in garage for a year until I found Mr. wonderful. Car is so reliable, paid for and still a very nice looking car. I won't part with it until it blows up.

Reliable By the way I don't rate this car fun to drive because it's got power but it's not a sports car or Ferrari or something. It's fun to drive for the type of car it is so I only gave it an 8 because it always starts and runs and I don't get my clothes or hands dirty driving it.

would like the split seat option so I could lay my ski's down in the back and flip down the back seat.

Wish they all were made like this
By Psal

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Bought 6 yrs old in 2004 with 29000 miles. Have 115K on it now and in 6 years have put brakes, wipers, tires, and battery....that's it. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Paid $11K in '04 and the Blue Book today is $6K. Too bad I'll never trade it.

Seating, horsepower, solid feel, stereo

Not a performance handling vehicle - could use tighter suspension and wider tires

Great Car
By Karl

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 68,000 miles on it. My wife is in sales and drives over 30,000 miles per year. We now have 248,000 miles on the car and it runs good as new. It is time for valve cover gaskets as they are now leaking but I have no faults with this car at all. Love it!

Fun to drive. Plenty of pep and it gets 25mph. 28mph on the highway. Lots of room and tall people fit quite nicely in the roomy back seats.

Redesign the cup holders. Bigger console. Oil pressure gauge instead of an idiot light.

Excellent Car
By SpyderMan51

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This car owes me nothing. It is highly reliable and has never left me stranded after 218K miles. It gets ~27 mpg in the DC beltway traffic. I purchased the XL new with very few options and it has all of the 'need to haves' for traveling 1 hr to and from work.

Fuel economy without sacrificing power for a large car. Reliability.