Used 1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Reliable! Fantastic! Safe Car Ever
By jayvon97

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon in July of 2014 for $400 at the dealership I worked at. When I bought it, it had 178,000 miles exactly. It had some minor problems such as it needed tires, brakes, a tie rod, and a fog light bulb. I did a oil change the day I bought it, got tires 2 months later. Eventually the brakes started to grind so I replaced those to. I am a teenager and I have a heavy foot, and this car was very responsive. I would race my friends who had newer cars and this car never failed to let me down. It was my baby honestly and I even named it Snow White LOL! I sadly got into a accident with it in January and it was totaled with 191,348 miles. I cant wait till I can get another Avalon.

Sunroof, V6 engine, comfortable leather interior, body styling, Just the car itself is amazing.

I have no complaints what so ever, this car was perfect and would be perfect for a family or a first car.

Smokin' engine... literally
By tallchris01

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Avalon having owned another 1st generation Avalon. Didn't figure I'd need to have a PPI, but I should have gotten one. Turns out the engine was a smoker. Despite replacing the valve seals and spark plugs, it continued to smoke. Quickly re-sold it.

Split seating up front, with a fixed center console. Sunroof! Ease of maintenance. Lots of legroom.

I think I missed an engine recall. Oh well, it was 3 years ago.

Toyota, Need I say more?
By enigmadtop

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I take this car up to big bear with a full car (6 people, the center front armrest comes up and has a seatbelt underneath) and it has never broken down on me once. The ride going there is completely smooth cruising at 80 mph, even though the Avalon's engine has more than enough power to go over that even with a full car. It has no trouble getting up those steep hills and is my car of choice when driving up to the mountains every season. It also survived a trip all the way to Sonora in Northern California from San Diego with a very steep mountain to climb at the end as well. Again, the car did not disappoint. Would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an extremely robust vehicle.

Holy crap, this car is too damn reliable
By carboy1993

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

im 17 years old.This car is my first car last year. its like that first practice car that u usually bang up. well i havent hit anything yet but my god is this car reliable. we bought it when it back in 2003 with 116k on it in PERFECT condition.now its kinda of banged up, radio buttons falling off, etc, but it just WONT DIE. my mom drove it 160 miles a day at one point, and i drive it about 40-50 as of now(and i dont drive it nicely), its close to 220k. im getting an acura tl, but if it wasnt for the cars body falling apart and the [violative content deleted] acceleration,id be sad about this departure. im just mad at my parents because they said were gonna sell after the time belt wears out :(

black leather seats

more bass in radio, better physical build quality

Im Impressed
By iggy7

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This is my first Toyota, and i bought this a few weeks ago. It has 230k miles on it and it drives great! It making a Toyota guy out of me.

Reliability gas mileage peep