Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2002 Toyota 4Runner-always the class of the field
By Terri Lusk

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After owning the 2002 Toyota 4Runner for over 14 years, I think that I'm qualified to give an opinion on the subject. I keep my 4Runner in tip top shape by doing all of the maintenance that is expected of the vehicle. It has been a very good vehicle for me and I get lots of complements on how it looks. It's not usual to see a female driving this vehicle, especially an older one!! Since it's older, it doesn't have the new technology on it but then again it won't break on me! I have found that tires are very important to the handling of this vehicle. I used to use Michelin tires, but found that the new Firestone Destination tires are fantastic. They let me drive in the rain and thru puddles without hydroplaning like the other tires used to and makes me feel safer on the road. These vehicles can be tippy if not driven properly and I've never felt like it's going to tip over because I don't push it like some people do. It's not a car and you can't drive it like one!!

Enjoyed my used for 2 years, would not buy another
By Parker

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2002 2wd SR5 from the original owner. Had 150k miles. The SUV was excellent utility-wise for what I use (trips, camping, sleeping, biking, kayaking, dirt roads, etc). However to say this vehicle was 'reliable' is a bit over-statement. The previous owner replaced the transmission at 5 years. I also replaced it. His list of repairs was fairly lengthy, though most of them routine type stuff. I had to do a lot of suspension work, which I guess is OK for a car this age. Could tow a few thousand pounds, but wouldn't go above that due to the power lacking. Awesome sunroof. Gas mileage was decent on the highway (~22). My main gripe with this vehicle was that it just wasn't comfortable at all. As is the problem with Tacomas and 4runners, the seats are low to the ground. That's fine if you're short, but for me I found on long trips it really wore me down. I purchased mine used for $5k, but spent $6k on it in repairs. Honestly, I felt it was a waste of money for a used middle-of-the-road vehicle. I wouldn't buy one again just based on the comfort-factor alone. Sure if you're someone that drives cars to 400,000 miles then you say 'toyota' but if you're like me and don't do high mileage but might take long trips occasionally, you are definitely going to want a vehicle that is comfortable to be in for those long hours.

Amazing!
By holdem185

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a 4runner and I finally got one for Christmas. It drives awesome! It's so smooth and quiet. Gets up and goes taking off from a stop light unlike my old car. Roomy front seats, comfy leather seats. Just an amazing car! Highly recommend.

Comfortable seats, Smooth ride, Roomy cabin, Back window rolls down

None

Mechanically excellent "but"
By Sisu

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4runners have an excellent rep. If you buy one and don't need 4wd, what's the purpose? We drive this car on the beach and in snow. Absolutely no problem, never. == (Con't). to get out of 4wd low. I have the six cylinder and it is a good engine around town or down the road. In my opinion it lacks a little power. If you have 4 men and bags and you want to engage highway traffic you need to stomp on it. I would not trailer anything heavy unless it is very local travel. The V8 maybe be a better option you be the judge. The seat is good if you are a normal size man, for me it doesn't provide enough support in the right places for a LONG trip. The AM radio is terrible - static.

Enough technical features for 4wd, skid control, etc. And the options are in the drivers hands which I like. I can put it into full time 4wd or not. The Limited model has very nice features. I had a GMC Envoy I loved he 4wd system very smooth but to low to ground. The GMC was a latter year.

Look I understand the 4runner is from the truck chassis but there are some things I don't like. I am a large man, not fat, 6'2" 230 lbs. The front seat is uncomfortable on long trips and it is tight. My head touches the roof. I've had 4wd's for many years, this one can be a little fussy (see above

Would by another one in a heartbeat
By clowbell99

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 32K miles on it, it now has 165K miles on it. It has been the most reliable vehicle. I have owned. I have taken it on many road trips, and it has never failed me. Driving over pot holes and speed bumps it is a rough ride. But since that is on a rare occasion, over all I am pleased. I have leather, and after 8 years of wear and tear, it does need to be replaced. It is just now starting to show it's age, and even then it is still a good looking vehicle.

My favorite is the sun roof and the reliability

I believe there are a few things that have already been improved from the edition. One being that it is not for taller people, and the rough ride.