2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Amazing!
By holdem185 on 12/25/11 19:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a 4runner and I finally got one for Christmas. It drives awesome! It's so smooth and quiet. Gets up and goes taking off from a stop light unlike my old car. Roomy front seats, comfy leather seats. Just an amazing car! Highly recommend.

Mechanically excellent "but"
By Sisu on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4runners have an excellent rep. If you buy one and don't need 4wd, what's the purpose? We drive this car on the beach and in snow. Absolutely no problem, never. == (Con't). to get out of 4wd low. I have the six cylinder and it is a good engine around town or down the road. In my opinion it lacks a little power. If you have 4 men and bags and you want to engage highway traffic you need to stomp on it. I would not trailer anything heavy unless it is very local travel. The V8 maybe be a better option you be the judge. The seat is good if you are a normal size man, for me it doesn't provide enough support in the right places for a LONG trip. The AM radio is terrible - static.

Would by another one in a heartbeat
By clowbell99 on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 32K miles on it, it now has 165K miles on it. It has been the most reliable vehicle. I have owned. I have taken it on many road trips, and it has never failed me. Driving over pot holes and speed bumps it is a rough ride. But since that is on a rare occasion, over all I am pleased. I have leather, and after 8 years of wear and tear, it does need to be replaced. It is just now starting to show it's age, and even then it is still a good looking vehicle.

Great SUV
By Michelle on 05/23/10 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV! Bought new. I'm still driving 8 yrs later and 120K miles. Only problem was the tail light bulb seems to go every other year which got me a ticket :( Mechanically very sound, well built, still runs like the day I purchased. I've replaced the water pump/timing belt only due to miles. I get 17-19 mpg in city and 23+ on open highway. I do agree with the others though that the ride can be a bit bumpy, slightly larger tires seems help with that a bit. Cost to own very good at 25K new in 2002, retail today in mint condition is $8-9K. Not bad at all! Debating whether to trade in only due to mileage and mpg.

Love this truck!!!
By 4runner_momma on 11/25/09 07:52 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I LOVE this truck! Toyota builds the best vehicles on the road and my 4Runner is no exception. It gets me where I need to go, keeps my kid safe, and does all this without asking anything in return of me except regular maintenance, and new tires! I do wish it has a few more creature comforts...softer chairs (mine are leather), and latch restraints for the car seat, but all of this is addressed on the next generation. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this truck, and I am sure my daughter (9 mo. old) will be driving this when she turns 16! It will need a new paint job by then though...

Great Design and Reliable
By Jon R on 07/19/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Always liked the look of this truck, so I decided to buy a used one 2 yrs ago with 48K on it. Would have got a newer one, but didn't like the newer body style as much. Been driving this for 2 years now, and it currently has 59K (don't drive much). My expectations have been easily surpassed, and I really like this truck. Its design is very well thought out. I don't think the car has a blind spot (great visibility) and the reliability is unbelievable. I just change the oil and let it do its thing. Only thing that has gone wrong with the truck is the power antenna, which seems to be a common problem. Other than this minor inconvenience, the truck has been great and I highly recommend it.

Great Vehicle
By PNA on 02/08/09 05:47 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2002 4 Runner Sport with added leather interior, and all the bolt on exterior goodies for my high school son in new 2002. I drove it during his first year in college since he could not have a car on campus. I thought it was great; very honest vehicle. I have owned five Toyotas and this is the best for reliability. The vehicle now has 66,000 miles, never had anything wrong, not even a rattle. Just normal maintenance. The best news, he is purchasing a new car and he is giving the 4 Runner to me. I am sure he will miss it.

Not sure
By dbail on 01/08/09 01:16 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this on Halloween because I had read all the great reviews. I'm looking forward to the reliability that everyone raves about but I do have some issues with it. The seats are extremely uncomfortable. There is a lumbar support bar that sits in the middle of my back and causes my legs to cramp. I had to pull it out during a long trip. Also, the cruise control is awkward over 70 miles an hour. If there is even the slightest hill the rpm sky rocket in order to keep the speed. Not a smooth transition. I love the automatic rear window for groceries and it's a 4WD machine. The antenna has already broken but not worried about it. Differential lock a huge plus. Great vehicle horrible seats.

Here's a looker
By ALooker on 12/08/08 17:46 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota 4 runner is overall a great car. I have 61,700 miles on it and I drive it to work daily. The ride is rough on poorly maintained roads typical for a truck frame. Over speed bumps, dips or potholes will give you whiplash. If you test drive it use a parking lot with speed bumps you'll see why. Very very reliable car, replaced the power antenna 1x (costly), this car runs great, tough as an ox, and purrs like a golden lion.

Great Truck
By Richard on 11/19/08 14:23 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was very upset with Toyota because I found out after purchasing my '95 4Runner with the 3.0 that there was a known problem with head gaskets but they did not recall for that year. They made up for it with my 2002. Toyota gave me more than I expected for my trade (even knowing the head gaskets were about to go) and sold this one to me at low book. It's been a great truck. Rides great, fun off-road, reliable. I'm going to lift this baby up, add bigger tires, and give myself more clearance since it climbs very well over rocks and boulders. My 15 year old is waiting for me to give it to him when he turns 16. Too bad, so sad. He'll have to buy his own. I'm keeping mine.