2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
6 Years Old and 125k miles
By CT Dave on 05/04/10 08:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a workhorse, grocery getter, commuter car, and family truckster for us. It still runs great and we hope to get 200k out of it. The exterior has held up well. The car has been dependable.

Second of Many Subarus!
By Teenbiker on 02/07/10 09:57 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an absolutely amazing car. Bought it this November and it far surpasses the 97 Outback Limited that it replaced. The 97 was a 2.5H4, so the upgrade to the H6 LLBean is unreal. Such a smooth engine, lots of power, and the transmission is light years better. The interior is beautiful: wood, leather, 2 sunroofs! The gas mileage hasn't been too bad either. Since the car has only been with us in winter cold temperatures and with winter-blend gas, I'd say 19mpg is pretty good. The '97 got 17mpg in cold temperatures, so I'm very pleased. We put in regular gas with no difference in the drivability of the car. This car is AMAZING in snow too! This is no doubt my second of many Subarus!

NV driver
By NV driver on 04/11/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding car. The AWD, weight balance, and handling ability in snow make it second to none. I feel safe and confident driving in inclement weather. Car now has 56,000 miles and has been completely trouble free, except for paint during first year. Noticed checking, took to dealer where purchased, was told it was road damage. After nearly a year of hassle, had Subaru DM approve complete repaint of car, no problems since. Check paint carefully! Other disappointment was OnStar changed hardware and so no lonegr works. I plan soon to trade this car for sedan (no longer have need of wagon), will likely be Subaru Legacy; great value for price, and the reliability and performance have me sold.

Good, tough wagon
By kialover15 on 02/09/08 13:52 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recently, we bought a Subuaru Outback, mostly because we needed something good in the snow, and boy is it ever. You can purposly try to do doughnuts and foolish car things and your not even able to. Very good in snow. The visibilty is good too, nice big windows in the back.

Reliable all-weather wagon
By cmelville on 10/09/06 18:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 1st Subaru, definitely not our last. Great build quality, no squeaks, rattles, or other unanticipated problems after 43,000 miles. We're so satisfied that we are selling this one to our son and buying a 2007 model.

Ditch the SUV
By cdski on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a value! I considered the Volvo XC, Audi A4 and VW Passat and all were 10 grand more. Obviously for this price you sacrifice a little quality but not much. After having my kidneys rattled on a daily basis in a Landcruiser I couldn't be more content. The car has some pep and handles reasonably well. It is definitely front dominant.

Can't beat it
By miken2uzu on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Chose the L.L. Bean Outback over a Highlander, Pilot, Matrix, XC70, and A4 wagon. You just can't get another car with full time AWD, 8 inches of ground clearance, leather interior, dual moonroofs, 6 CD changer, ABS, side airbags and a 212 HP engine for less money (we paid just over $28k). We've had it for about a year, and the Outback's winter performance is better than any SUV I've ever driven (including Explorer, Yukon, Jimmy and Envoy)- it is so much more confident on icy corners. I'm a volunteer firefighter who MUST be able to get on the road no matter what the conditions, and this car got me to the station through 10 inches of snow on unplowed roads more than once.

Check the paint closely
By Nevada driver on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall the car rides and drives good. Unfortunately the paint is another story. Mine is the silver paint and is mottled and inconsistent in color, especially the bumpers. My insurance companies adjusting agent helped set up a meeting with a Subaru District manager who just looked at the car and said "It matches the other cars on the lot and I do not believe it warrants any further discussion or attention." So if you expect service, or attention for a top of the line model, look at the Volvo or VW. If it is noticeable now, how will this car look in five years.

Five in a row!
By Grandmom on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Subaru. I am completely sold on the car. I have never had any major problems with any of the Subarus I have owned. This is absolutely the best car for the money on the market today. It can be used in the city, on the road or on the farm...all of which I do. It's performance and smoothness of it's ride is far superior to my husband's new vehicle. My next car will be a Subaru also.

The Best Yet!
By AlecB0116 on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The best car in history for a low price. always reilable. Off road made. Lots of storage for grocerys in the back of the car.