2004 Subaru Outback 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2004 Outback Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
6 Years Old and 125k miles
By CT Dave

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a workhorse, grocery getter, commuter car, and family truckster for us. It still runs great and we hope to get 200k out of it. The exterior has held up well. The car has been dependable.

Favorite Features

1) All wheel drive allows us to make it through any kind of weather, even the plows follow us. 2) Sound system is nice. 3) fit and finish are better than most brands. 4) heated leather seats

Suggested Improvements

1) Seats are low, not so comfortable on very long trips. 2) The 4-speed transmission seems dated. 3) H-6 engine requires premium fuel, pricey? 4) The car seems narrow, wish it were 3 inches wider.

Second of Many Subarus!
By Teenbiker

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an absolutely amazing car. Bought it this November and it far surpasses the 97 Outback Limited that it replaced. The 97 was a 2.5H4, so the upgrade to the H6 LLBean is unreal. Such a smooth engine, lots of power, and the transmission is light years better. The interior is beautiful: wood, leather, 2 sunroofs! The gas mileage hasn't been too bad either. Since the car has only been with us in winter cold temperatures and with winter-blend gas, I'd say 19mpg is pretty good. The '97 got 17mpg in cold temperatures, so I'm very pleased. We put in regular gas with no difference in the drivability of the car. This car is AMAZING in snow too! This is no doubt my second of many Subarus!

Favorite Features

Wood, leather, heated windshield wipers, double sunroofs, 6 cylinder power

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel, TPS sensor fix, 5 speed transmission.

NV driver
By NV driver

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding car. The AWD, weight balance, and handling ability in snow make it second to none. I feel safe and confident driving in inclement weather. Car now has 56,000 miles and has been completely trouble free, except for paint during first year. Noticed checking, took to dealer where purchased, was told it was road damage. After nearly a year of hassle, had Subaru DM approve complete repaint of car, no problems since. Check paint carefully! Other disappointment was OnStar changed hardware and so no lonegr works. I plan soon to trade this car for sedan (no longer have need of wagon), will likely be Subaru Legacy; great value for price, and the reliability and performance have me sold.

Favorite Features

Smallish size, yet still comfortable and practical. Safety & handling in all weather. Quality of materials used.

Suggested Improvements

More harmonious interior/exterior color combinations

Good, tough wagon
By kialover15

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recently, we bought a Subuaru Outback, mostly because we needed something good in the snow, and boy is it ever. You can purposly try to do doughnuts and foolish car things and your not even able to. Very good in snow. The visibilty is good too, nice big windows in the back.

Favorite Features

Snow capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

Put the clock, wher the radio is, not by the instrument cluster. Also with the AWD system, there needs to be better gas milage.

Reliable all-weather wagon
By cmelville

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 1st Subaru, definitely not our last. Great build quality, no squeaks, rattles, or other unanticipated problems after 43,000 miles. We're so satisfied that we are selling this one to our son and buying a 2007 model.

Favorite Features

AWD. Always on, always works, a little like driving a nice quiet snowplow (with heated leather seats). I do like the seat heaters, but the wife says "make them hotter!"

Suggested Improvements

Crummy Bridgestone tires. Dump them after 30k miles or risk sidewall failure! Running Coopers now.

Ditch the SUV
By cdski

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a value! I considered the Volvo XC, Audi A4 and VW Passat and all were 10 grand more. Obviously for this price you sacrifice a little quality but not much. After having my kidneys rattled on a daily basis in a Landcruiser I couldn't be more content. The car has some pep and handles reasonably well. It is definitely front dominant.

Favorite Features

An absolutely loaded car for under $30K. Every bell and whistle. Love the On Star and weather band. Gas mileage is superb-getting about 29 hwy.

Suggested Improvements

The auto trans constantly shifts in and out of 4th on backroads so I leave it in third. Really annoying. The armrest and center console seem to be made to fit an extraterrestrial. The Climate Control system is bizzaro- you'll either bake or freeze. Best using it on manual.

Can't beat it
By miken2uzu

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Chose the L.L. Bean Outback over a Highlander, Pilot, Matrix, XC70, and A4 wagon. You just can't get another car with full time AWD, 8 inches of ground clearance, leather interior, dual moonroofs, 6 CD changer, ABS, side airbags and a 212 HP engine for less money (we paid just over $28k). We've had it for about a year, and the Outback's winter performance is better than any SUV I've ever driven (including Explorer, Yukon, Jimmy and Envoy)- it is so much more confident on icy corners. I'm a volunteer firefighter who MUST be able to get on the road no matter what the conditions, and this car got me to the station through 10 inches of snow on unplowed roads more than once.

Favorite Features

Winter performance- AWD, heated seats & windshield wipers, high ground clearance. Stereo (upgraded, non-Macintosh), 6 CD changer, build quality/reliability after 1 year, outrageously confident handling in bad weather/off-road. Good maintenance program- in first year I've only paid for gas.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats need better thigh/back support, rear seets need more leg & shoulder room- don't think about fitting more than 2 adults in the back (though 2 do fit comfortably. Center armrest needs to be higher, softer, and longer. Needs Telescoping steering wheel and rear privacy glass

Check the paint closely
By Nevada driver

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall the car rides and drives good. Unfortunately the paint is another story. Mine is the silver paint and is mottled and inconsistent in color, especially the bumpers. My insurance companies adjusting agent helped set up a meeting with a Subaru District manager who just looked at the car and said "It matches the other cars on the lot and I do not believe it warrants any further discussion or attention." So if you expect service, or attention for a top of the line model, look at the Volvo or VW. If it is noticeable now, how will this car look in five years.

Suggested Improvements

Paint quality.

Five in a row!
By Grandmom

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Subaru. I am completely sold on the car. I have never had any major problems with any of the Subarus I have owned. This is absolutely the best car for the money on the market today. It can be used in the city, on the road or on the farm...all of which I do. It's performance and smoothness of it's ride is far superior to my husband's new vehicle. My next car will be a Subaru also.

Favorite Features

SAFE! Smooth handling and ride. Extra interior room. Easy read dash instruments.

Suggested Improvements

Change placement of OnStar antenna so it will not cause wind noise. Add extension on sunvisors to cover center of windshield and side windows.

The Best Yet!
By AlecB0116

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The best car in history for a low price. always reilable. Off road made. Lots of storage for grocerys in the back of the car.

Favorite Features

I like the leather interior and the double moonroofs. plus the 6-disc cd player.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger leg room in the backseats.