1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Outstanding value, build quali

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Brighton Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Outstanding value, build quality
By Austinbirdman on

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1999 Subaru Outback wagon has not had one mechanical problem during 9 years (and counting) of service, with the lone exception of the time my father destroyed the clutch in one day of shiftless driving, which was his fault, not the car's. Additionally, I have been hit twice while driving the car, and it holds up like a champ. In one case, a woman who rear ended me at a stoplight totaled her car, while the Subaru escaped with minor damage in the rear end. A side swipe from another reckless driver who ran a red light dented my side doors, but you can not even see the damage inside the Outback. I trust this car with my life, and more importantly my two kids' lives. Great car.

Front legroom, handling, overall solid feel, crash safety, all terrain driving, road visibility (easy to see from), reliability to the max.

The center console cupholders are ridiculous in the 1999 models and the car's a bit loud - it's a small SUV, not a sedan.