1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Sally Subaru #5 And Stuck in the 90s...
By kabuki1 on 03/07/13 21:13 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Sure there are things about Subarus that are truths... if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will. (best to wait to buy one that's been there and done that). At the first signs of bubbled paint on the rear quarter panel, get the strut towers patched - sealed and get rid of the rust... .or quickly watch the rear end rust to pieces. Your rear wheel bearings will fail, plan on it. I'm watching the throat on the gas tank... one day... it's going to go... been there done that too. Otherwise... you've got yourself a sweet ride... Change oil regularly... and you'll be driving your sooby for a long long time.

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens on 01/16/13 07:42 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

HUGE Headache
By tke259 on 01/20/12 12:06 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259 on 11/13/11 19:14 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

My first Subaru
By tomison61 on 06/21/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

My cousins have talked about these cars for years! I did not believe them at first, I needed a used car that was good on gas, I found this one, it needed brakes, a front wheel bearing and 1 tire, I bought it for $1300.00 and did the work needed, Well let me tell you after I drove it I fell in love with it, goes any where, gas mileage after a tune up is 39 highway, This is awesome,

Most reliable car I've ever had
By Jason on 05/30/09 09:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car in December of 2006 after I totaled my last car hitting a deer. It came with brand new snows on it and I was instantly amazed at how well it handled in the snow and ice. I have plowed through a foot of snow in an unplowed driveway without much trouble at all. In the 2.5 years I have owned it (35,000 miles) the only problem I have had was the knock sensor going bad. $70 later and it was back in action.

subarus are legos, cheap to fix
By Markos on 11/11/08 16:57 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my lgt for a steal, it leaked a lot of oil after 90k miles. I'm rebuilding the engine with all new seals, sti headgaskets and having some port and polish work done to the heads. after that and some basic transmission, brake and differential service the car is solid for hopefully another 100k. I like this car and think its a great fixer upper if you know how to.

My third Subaru
By asmith on 06/12/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

My third Subaru since 1985. I got it used in Aug 03 and it only had 12000 miles on it. No problems so far. Just new battery, drive belts and tires. I've got 60000 miles on it now and it drives great. The first 3 years I had it I only drove it about 100 miles per week. Now get 27 MPG on my 44 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. And that's great in Honolulu traffic! Front end modification punched out the faux air intake cover and cracked the spoiler after hitting a traffic cone at 60 mph. Ooops! No kids and few passengers and the back seat still looks like new!

Wow! I can't believe it's from 1999
By Bob Lovington on 05/27/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

It may sound weird. But it feels dated inside and out. More like 1994 Volkswagen Passat I used to have. It is a very reliable car, though I wish now that it had side curtain airbags. It has some innovative features like a weather radio which is neat. The most fun thing to do with the car is make it go through puddles. It has horrible gas mileage. I would expect the gas mileage from a 6 cylinder not a 4 cylinder.

That Box May Have a Use
By Unknown Person on 03/29/08 20:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I got this about 6 years ago for my wife. I loved it in 2002. Now, in 2008, 9 years later, boxy doesn't fit my cool image. I love the AWD but the styling sucks. It's a box! I do not like any imitation wood or ugly black plastic. It has some wind noise over 65 mph. I like that the Limited interior for its modern decade features like CD player and heated power leather seats. I wish I could have got the wagon after I got kids, but I changed my mind after I folded down the seats for the first time. Soccer moms come here! Over all it is a great vehicle, but do you and your cosmetic mind a favor: Year 2000 or up Subaru Legacy or Impreza.