Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sally Subaru #5 And Stuck in the 90s...
By kabuki1

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Sure there are things about Subarus that are truths... if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will. (best to wait to buy one that's been there and done that). At the first signs of bubbled paint on the rear quarter panel, get the strut towers patched - sealed and get rid of the rust... .or quickly watch the rear end rust to pieces. Your rear wheel bearings will fail, plan on it. I'm watching the throat on the gas tank... one day... it's going to go... been there done that too. Otherwise... you've got yourself a sweet ride... Change oil regularly... and you'll be driving your sooby for a long long time.

A great open road car... it's heavy.. drives/tracks true... and has plenty of torque... this thing will run between 3.3-3.5K RPM all day long. Driving position is perfect for a 6'er ... Even if the cup holder is clumsy... I like how it's up and out of the way... The center console armrest is perfectly positioned. (I miss my moonroof on my 95 LS though) And the two map/reading lights in the overhead console... I'm always using them. And the Burgundy and tan accent colors... are nice... The updated windshield spayer nozzles are a big improvement..

See the 2005 design changes.... and the interior changes in the 2014 models.

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

Heated seats and mirrors, all-wheel drive, body style, powerful for it's size, decent gas mileage (when it's working properly)

Where do I begin? This car is completely unreliable. I've spent more money repairing it than it is worth, and it still needs thousands of dollars worth in more repairs. Suggested improvement: make a better car. Oh, and the cup holder placement is terrible. Right above the radio, makes no sense.

HUGE Headache
By tke259

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Headgasket quality

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

Head-gasket is in need of major improvement!

My first Subaru
By tomison61

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

My cousins have talked about these cars for years! I did not believe them at first, I needed a used car that was good on gas, I found this one, it needed brakes, a front wheel bearing and 1 tire, I bought it for $1300.00 and did the work needed, Well let me tell you after I drove it I fell in love with it, goes any where, gas mileage after a tune up is 39 highway, This is awesome,

Gas mileage, I can resell this for a profit!

Always have a mechanic look at any car before you buy it, They are trained to look for things other people may not know about!