2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Oil Burner, Sits Too Low
By knahs39 on 06/23/14 06:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2012 Impreza hatchback new in July 2012. Since about 12,000 miles, I can't go more than 2,500-3,000 miles without needing a quarter of oil. Dealer says that is typical usage but manual says 7,500 miles between changes. The car does not have the pep my 2004 Impreza had and yet, gets the same gas mileage as the 2004. It also sits too low so you hit every curb or concrete parking barrier. I'm looking to get rid of it and based on this, my third Subaru, will never get another Subaru again.

Two Year Review
By i4collin on 03/24/14 18:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Going on year two of ownership of a 2012 Impreza Premium Sedan. Here is the good; It's a very fun to drive car, and will put a smile on your face every time you drive it on a back road. The AWD is a lifesaver in the snow and works wonderfully. The interior controls are laid out nicely, and very easy to use. Now for the not so good; The car lacks overall refinement. In the cold the engine is noisy, and there is always a delay when selecting gear with the CVT. The car is very smooth at speed, and the ride is comfortable. The eco-tires it comes with lack grip and love to slide around. After only 20,000 miles the interior is FULL of rattles, and the sound system is awful.

Great AWD, some annoying weaknesses
By hughk4 on 03/05/14 06:16 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this because I needed AWD, but didn't want a truck or an SUV. When conditions make AWD necessary, I love this car. Other times I like it a lot, but there are several things that keep me from loving it. See my suggested improvements for these comments. If you need AWD, this car has very few competitors in its price range. Of the 4 cars I own, when weather is bad, everyone wants to drive the Impreza.

More Daewoo than Subaru
By stillyourking on 02/25/14 14:15 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

As an owner of a '12 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Premium, I wouldn't recommend the purchase of this car. The quality is far less than that of the '08 - '11 Impreza. The engine is loud, and has intense vibration, weatherproofing is shoddy, road noise interferes with conversation, interior materials rattle, and scratch easily. The seat fabric has folded in some parts, and became unwoven in others, the driver seat squeaks when your body shifts (only 178 lbs). Seats are uncomfortable on long trips (my Pontiac Vibe had more comfortable and supportive seats). Gets a combined 28 MPG (rated as 27/36 MPG).

2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium CVT
By hardcheck2704 on 08/09/13 02:55 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had the vehicle for 4 months and love the gas mileage. It is way above the rated 27 city / 36 highway. i am averaging 34.8 city and 45.4 highway. The back seat is roomier than the 2008 outback we have. Really enjoy the iPod hook-up, no need for CD's anymore, I have all music, Pod cast and books at my fingertips. The only really negative I could find for the short time I have had the vehicle, is the truck space.

Oil consumption - piece of junk! BEWARE
By markmine on 02/11/13 17:41 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car new and it was never abused. This is my first Subaru and the awd was appealing. This car is Very disappointing! Around 14k miles the car started burning approx 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Subaru said this is normal! I think the new 2.0 engine has problems. The car also sounded like it had a bad wheel bearing, the dealer said the sound is the cvt transmission and again normal. The stereo system is horrible! The build quality is really bad and at 19k miles the car is rattling and gas mileage dropped to 26 mpg. Don't make the same mistake I made, buy a Honda or Toyota and stay away from Subaru!

Oil Consumption
By jeanette101 on 02/10/13 20:11 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this car since February almost a year. It is using oil and John Howard told me to bring it in every 1000 miles so they can check and add oil if it needs it and document it. My brother also has this car in the hatchback model and it is using oil too. He lives in PA and garage there told him to drive it in anytime it is low on oil so they can add it and document it. Please email me if anyone else is having this problem.

I love everything about it.
By mqbruno on 09/22/12 19:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I drove every small car and just couldn't decide until the 2012 redesigned Impreza finally came out. It's extremely comfortable, has plenty of pickup, and is just the right size. Of course the all wheel drive is a plus and on my first all highway trip got 40 mpg.

Constantly Amazed With This Car
By dodman1 on 09/12/12 04:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have 4300 miles on my 2012 Limited Sedan and I could not be happier. I read some of the bad reviews and don't understand how anyone could give this car a bad review. It was very inexpensive and I am amazed by the overall experience. It rides great, handles very well, looks good, has many great features, performs well for it's class, and returns excellent gas mileage. And let's not forget the AWD. Really folks, this is not a $60,000 premium sedan. It is however, an excellent car for a very reasonable price. I consistently get between 33 and 35 miles to the gallon with a mix of highway and country road driving. Buy this car before Subaru realizes they priced it too low!!!

I love my Impreza!!!!!
By ryanlongacre on 08/08/12 22:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For years I've been driving Toyota's. When it came time for me to buy a new car though, I wanted something different. I found the different in a brand new 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium. So far, it is AMAZING!!!! I've never been excited about a car, but this I'm pinching myself going, "Hey, this really is your car....this isn't a dream." I realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I do plan to update this review in time to point out any problems or issues I've come across.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan in VA is:

$126 per month*