Used 2013 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Pay MORE
By leebo4

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Do yourself a favor by opting for a higher trim...if you have a BACK problem. I purchse 2013 base model just because of the color. It is brown/burgundy (new for 2013) and either wait 8 weeks or take the base model. After 13,000 miles later, I regret my purchase only because of the lacking(or Non) lumbar support and a thigh support. I have a back issue since purchasing this CUV. Of course, if you are moderate sized person, this would not be an issue. Otherwise, it is a very solid vehicle. This is my 4th Subi and would not be the last.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, good visibilty, and not attractive enough for the thieves.

Suggested Improvements

Better SEATS, more latteral support and longer bottom cushion.

2013 Forester - Practical and Reliable....
By sus77

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2013 Subaru Forester since February 2013 after my 1999 Subaru Legacy quit running. I use non ethanol gasoline and I'm averaging between 27-29.2 MPG since I purchased the car. It has plenty of room and enough acceleration for normal & daily driving. I am still disappointed Subaru does not offer a limited / leather model with a 5 speed transmission. I decided to buy a 2013 over a 2014 because I do not trust the long term drive ability of the new CVT transmission yet!

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive, Sunroof, Tight cornering feel, Comfortable seats, Radio / CD display, good MPG with non ethanol gas.

Suggested Improvements

I HATE the cheap door trim around the drivers / passengers elbow. I am not impressed with the Backseat recline function either. It rattles like crazy.

Great little Subie
By skinnerkid3

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2013 Forester for about 7 months now and so far, so good. It isn't the fastest, most luxurious, or most tech savvy car on the market, but what it is, is a great all around car. In todays market there are not many CUVs you can run to the store in one minute, and then the next go out in the back country. This is what made this vehicle so impressive to me being a Wyoming native who very well may do both of those activities in the same day. This little crossover is just so well rounded and good at so many things it makes me happy everytime I drive it. The interior does have some cheap materials, and the stock mud guards are terrible, but other than that I'm happy with my foz.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth audio and phone, moon roof, ground clearence and AWD

Suggested Improvements

Better interior plastics/fabrics, better wheel arch/mud guard design, needs manual gearbox with back up camera

My 2013 Subaru Forester
By willowby

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2013 Subaru Forester, so here comes the nit pickin'. I bought this SUV in November of 2012. I hate the gray plastic dyed interior trim inside, looks great until you scratch it. Too expensive to fix or replace! Don't like the silver plastic front grill, there is no touch up paint for it! The inside carpet is fraying around the floor mat, but it's not too bad so far, could use better quality carpet. The ride is not bad, but could be smoother. The Bluetooth doesn't filter out noise very well, when trying to call out! No exterior temp gauge! This vehicle could maybe be 3 inches higher. Keep in mind, these things I mentioned may be improved on the 2014 model!

Favorite Features

I love the way it drives. Also, I can see all around the car through my rear view mirror, i have great visibility even on the back rear side windows. Huge back rear window! The blind spots are minimal! Has great torgue! Not slow too me! Has a great turning radius! I got a lot of features for a reasonable price! Black fender flares would look nice!

Suggested Improvements

I would put a interior temp gauge inside the car! This makes me feel uncomfortable! Get rid of the gray dyed interior plastic and replace it with a hard grained vinyl! Make the Bluetooth better quality for filtering out noise, when trying to call out, it keeps saying it can't understand me! Improve the quality of the carpet! Raise the vehicle at least 3 inches off the ground! The front grill should be a hard plastic black rubber, the 2014's grill has been changed! Don't know the material that is being used! Fog lights should come standard on all vehicles! Better gas mileage, 28 city, 35 hwy. Mazda has Skyactive technology! Black fender flares would look nice!

Subaru Forester 2013: Meh...
By gber

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Subaru in Feb, 2013. The Subaru does very well in poor driving conditions - I used it through 3 snowstorms. Get the winter package - heated seats and windows. But in regular conditions, the Subaru disappoints. The engine is geared to punchy in city driving, which I like, but on the highway, the engine is all noise, and little pickup. Once up to speed it is fine. Gas mileage has yet to crack 21mpg in mixed driving. Which brings me to the handling. On city driving it is fine, but at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is pronounced - I gather from the forums that this is rather typical for Foresters. Overall, a boring, but competent vehicle.

Favorite Features

Poor driving condition handling is excellent - the vehicle feels so in control, I dare say I drive faster than I should. Ground clearance is awesome - I confidently drive over ice damns and snow that have caused my Jetta to bottom out. Interior space is wonderful too. Flat and boxy - ideal for large cargo. My favorite feature - the visibility through those boxy windows is class leading. I hate the tiny windows other SUVs come with in the name of style. Winter package is well worth it - heated front windows and heated seats. 'Nuff said. Very large panorama roof window. Open it up and you feel like you're in a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 gear auto transmission is to blame for poor highway acceleration and poor gas mileage (21 mpg so far). The ratio of engine noise to acceleration is poor. The Bluetooth and voice controlled electronics that come standard with the premium model are horrible. After a week, I stopped using it all together. Wind noise at highway s peed is a bit pronounced. The seats could be more comfortable even with all the adjustments that the electronic seats provide.