Used 2013 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Foresters belong in the forest!
By K Redding

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I needed to access unimproved property and have mostly logging roads. I own a two wheel drive truck but it uses a lot of gas and some of the roads are impassable if it is wet. I bought the Subaru Forester mainly on the reputation of their all-wheel-drive. I have not been disappointed. It is very sure-footed and has a great turning radius, important off road. It is not fancy inside, I put in seat covers to protect the cloth seats. It does have more scheduled maintenance than a normal car, mainly the two differentials that have the oil changed every 30k. Not expensive to do so, but the tires have to be the same diameter due to the AWD. That means if you blow a tire after 20-30k miles, you will more than likely have to replace the whole set. The engine pulls strongly, I pull my small boat easily. I replaced the radio head unit, the stock one is weak and a new one is not very expensive, plus I have a backup camera now. If I lived in snow country, owning a Subaru would be a no-brainer.

Subaru Forester Oil Consumption
By Andy Stewart

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Subaru Forester - is an oil consuming machine. The dealer and manufacturer do not stand behind their products. So much oil consumption that the catalytic converter will need to be replaced every 50000 miles to the tune of $2000 each time. Subaru has acknowledged the issue but does not stand behind their products. Anyone thinking of purchasing a Subaru should seriously consider another manufacturer.

Amazing on every level, just not mpg!
By Mark

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my first Subaru, I am technically the second owner, the first being my mother, she love it as much as me, and in fact purchased a 2015 Non turbo touring as her replacement. As far as comfort its a great car, driven it in my cross country move from Texas to Pennsylvania. My only complaint about the car is the gas millage and having to use Premium Gas, this is the cars only down fall. I have to drive almost 100 miles a day and she sadly chugs gas like a frat boy chugs beer. No issues mechanically, only a puddle light has gone out. Oil changes lasting as long as they do is a god sent. All in all a great car!

Oil Burner Fixed by Subaru
By B. Addison

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2013 Forester new for my daughter. It consumed oil right from the start. Presently has 55,000 miles and uses one quart every 1300 miles.
Will be taking it to dealer for their assessment. Assuming they give me a runaround, will probably trade it in. Wonder how many other Subarus out there
have a similar problem. So watch out . Will update this if they make it right.

Update: 5/4/2016 Dealer did not give me a runaround. Dealer suggested a 1200 mile oil consumption test. They measured 1.5 quarts used in 1200 miles. This qualified for new short-block which the dealer installed. No cost to me. Currently we are doing our own mileage test to see if the new short-block made any difference. She now has about 600 miles on the new block and I will update this post when we get more miles. The dealership in this case has been extremely helpful and I give Subaru credit for standing behind this problem. Hopefully the short-block solves the problem.

Update: 5/5/2016 Good news. I got a chance to check the oil level on my daughter's car. Since the new short block was installed she has driven 1800 miles. The oil level on the dipstick has gone down 1/4 of an inch from where I first measured it. If this rate of consumption holds, I will consider that the problem has been solved. At this rate she should not have to add oil between oil changes at 4000 miles. And if this rate of consumption holds, my faith in Subaru will have been restored and I would consider buying another one.

Short people need NOT beware..
By C

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 4 ft 9" , yes you read that right lol. This car is awesome for someone who loves the great outdoors and also need an everyday car. The seats lift up manually on the passenger and drivers seats. The steering wheel is very nice, seats are very comfortable. The inside is spacious, and the auto headlights are very handy. My only regret is how much the dog hair shows on my black seats! Brakes work fantastic, the value is really good. The stereo is basic but still nice. The ride is decently smooth, and the interior noise could also be better, but again overall this car is awesome. I got the 2013 once my 99' forester died and I would absolutely purchase it again!