Used 2012 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

subaru stinks
By likeitis100

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a new 2012 Subaru Forester. Battery has been replaces 2Xs. Had car either jumped or towed 10Xs. Service tells me that the battery is bad nothing more. Windshield arm replaced. Window will not stay up when button pushed to wind,Seat heaters do not function properly, don't get the gas mileage claimed on sticker. Took to 2 different Subaru garages to have repairs. Neither can find a problem. Will never ever buy another Subaru under any circumstance.

Suggested Improvements

The roadside assistance needs to be improved. An auto system calls to let you know that service is being provided by XYZ Company. They have been notified and should be dispatched shortly to help. After awhile another auto call to see if anyone has arrived. I call XYZ Company to see where they are and they tell me no one has notified them and cannot help until they get a fax. This is not unusual. This happened to me 3 times already.

“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover”
By Jean Young

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover” noted by the Subaru technician on Wednesday. My 2012 Subaru Forester has been using huge and excessive amounts of oil since its purchase. First, I was told that it was part of the “break - in period. Under no circumstances should a new car or even one with just over 65,000 miles like mine that has been babied and maintained only by the dealer present such major engine issues. This is my second Subaru and it will be my last. The first one, a 2003 Forester, though far from perfect, had over 150,000 miles before needing a new head gasket after exhibiting irregular oil use. This one has clocked with irregular oil usage since its purchase.

Does the job!
By sciencwriter

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I leased it about 2 1/2 years ago and just bought out the lease. It is not beautiful nor is it elegant, but it does the job. I live at the end of a dirt road in Vermont with a daily round-trip commute of about 50 miles. It always starts and it makes it through the deep snow, better than our Toyota 4Runner. Even with my canoe on top, it handles okay--not as well as my old Morgan +4 but that wouldn't have made the grade in Vermont. Runs much better with a little extra air in the tires. All in all, I find it practical, serviceable, and reliable. This is contrary to some of the other reviews but maybe I just got a good one--or they got bad ones.

Favorite Features

Good room inside, roomy enough for the dog plus "stuff." Great in the snow, with only all-season tires. Good MPG. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better brakes; they don't last, even though I don't use them much.

Starting Issues
By raf1801

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Random starting issues at 5000 miles. Dealership can't duplicate the problem so the issue remains unsolved. Am afraid to drive this vehicle very far anymore.Am afraid of being stranded . Vehicle is also reluctant to start when the temps get below freezing. The owners manual gives instructions how to try to start the vehicle if these random starting issues occur. I wonder sometimes if they knew in advance these problems might occur with this type of vehicle. Therefore the need to put these instructions in the manual.If had known in advance about these problems I never would of bought this car. I'm stuck for now with a car I hate and am afraid to drive very far if it even starts. Buyer beware

Do not buy this car
By starfool

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2012 Forester about a year and a half ago. It started to have starting issues about 3 months ago. It won't start right away, sometimes it takes a few tries holding the key for about 10 seconds. I took it to North End Subaru and they tried a few things that didnÂ’t work, and then told me it is normal. I then took it to Prime Subaru. They couldn't find anything wrong but gave me a few tips to try. They didn't work, I called back, they also told me that the problem is normal. It does always start eventually, but it just doesnÂ’t seem normal to me. I have read reviews of people who have had similar problems for both the 2012 & 2013 models.

Favorite Features

large moon roof

Suggested Improvements

have it start sooner than 10 seconds.