1998 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: I wish it didn't break down so

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

I wish it didn't break down so often
By vande32 on

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car used while in graduate school because I couldn't afford to have a car payment. I should have bought a new car instead. I have spent nearly $4000 fixing it in the last two years because at 80,000 and 100,000 miles, every sensor had to be replaced. I have also had to put in a new clutch and a master cylinder. The engine light will go on and when I take it to the dealer or a mechanic, they tell me that the engine has missed but that they can't find a reason. While the car gets 28 mpg for me, drives great in the snow, and is nice for hauling my dogs and groceries, I will never buy a Subaru again after this experience.

I have a dog cage in mine. That is really nice. It also handles well in snow and ice.

Just make the whole thing more reliable and make it so that people can actually fix it. Old Subarus could run for 300,000 miles. I will be lucky to get 125K out of mine.