Used 1998 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Most Helpful|
1998 Subaru Forester
By smokeymedic81

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car uses so I cant say what the previous owner put it through. It had only 110,000 miles on it when I purchased it 6 months ago. Had my mechanic do a full inspection on it before I bought it. was able to drive it for 3 months, put a whole 3000 miles on it then the head gasket blew. The car is junk now because the cost to replace the head gasket is outragous. Will never buy a subaru again.

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, Subaru took care of the head gasket problem in later models I hear.

Can't wait to trade this in...
By Kris

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. I'm 6'3" and the driving position makes me put one knee on the door on the other on the center console by the radio. If I ever hit anything my legs are broken, period. There are no words in the engine compartment only VERY obtuse pictograms. The car has never broken down but constantly has something broken. The clock randomly died. The rear wheel bearings have needed replacement twice. I snapped a piece of the braking system in half going over railroad tracks at 5mph. Horrible oil leak, killed oil pump, needed to remove water pump to get to oil pump, etc. Boxer engine runs like a champ, everything attached to it, not so much.

Favorite Features

Drives great in snow but that's all. If you don't live in a place where it snows in a serious way (as in feet) more than once or twice a year don't bother. We're in the Philly area. AWD not worth the expense, wasted gas, and increased vehicle complexity.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality of powertrain and interior, engine is fine. The cup holder is a joke in both location and practicality. It holds an empty dixie cup, anything with liquid is dicey. When used it blocks the heat/AC controls. Mine broke under the strain of a 20 oz. Coke.

A lemon!
By LJN

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle for durability and reliability. Have gone through multiple sets of tires, several sets of wheel bearings, two water pumps, and most recently replaced head gaskets ... all before 45K! Vehicle has known design flaws (head gaskets, for example) that Subaru of America refuses to be accountable for, offering cheap, short-term fixes. Will never buy another Subaru unless/until company stands behind their product!

Favorite Features

AWD, cross between wagon and SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car reliable and durable.

Would never buy another Subaru!
By Lizzy

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has done nothing but cost us money! We have only owned it 4 years and only have 85,000 on a 10 year old vehicle but have had to replace the seals, transfer solenoid, clutches, you name it! Guess what? Once again, the engine light and At Oil Temp light are flashing after having the clutches replaced only 10 months ago. No one else can fix this vehicle either other than a Subaru Dealer. STAY FAR AWAY!

Favorite Features

None

This car is a piece of trash!
By paulnelissa

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car used from a Subaru dealership. The day after we bought it the check engine light came on and has stayed on for almost 4 years. We have, in the past 4 years, replaced the clutch, had a major oil leak, replaced the rear wheel bearings twice, and now have a crack in our cylinder head which can not be repaired. The mechanic has recommended a new engine. I realize that the car has a lot of miles, but come on. This car is a lemon if I ever saw one. Subaru has refused to honor warranty issues. We hate them and this car.

Favorite Features

Can you have a favorite feature on a car that you want to spit on every time you see it?

Suggested Improvements

An engine that works properly.