2003 Saturn VUE SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
Cvt transmission
By eladiac on 03/10/14 17:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Transmission went out, can not be fixed, entire new transmission, run away from any saturn vue cvt transmission. Car looks great interior and exterioir, but what good does it do if $5000 to replace transmission. I'll be junking it.major disappointment.

Don't ignore these reviews - TRANSMISSION HELL
By lilpinkzombie on 08/22/13 14:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I love my car, that is no secret. Everyone who knows me... knows I love my 2003 Saturn Vue. I purchased it for way over it's value because I needed a reliable vehicle and I was not looking too hot in the credit realm. Within two weeks, the transmission went out. I called the dealership, they had to fix within the 45 day guarantee. They gave it back and it just hasn't been the same since. I have also dealt with the module going out and other various transmission issues. As much as I love my car, there is no way anyone can own a Saturn and not spend more on repairs than the actual value of the vehicle. Period.

BAD TRANSMISSION
By warair on 05/05/13 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Just like others has said. Do your Home work before buying one of these cars. At 130.000 miles the Transmission Went Out. Cost Around $$$5,000 said too said can not addord to put this much money into it.... They are really safe Cars... Went Air-Born On InterState 10 last Summer due too Another Car pushing my Wife off the Hwy.... State Troopers said, they have never seen a Car go 65ft Air-Born on two wheels and not Flipp Over. Only damage was busted air lost from driver side rear tire.... God Was With Us Mainly....

Worst car ever!!!
By got2bekylee on 04/06/13 06:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We got the Saturn in November of 2012 with 78000 miles on it. The transmission went out in January of 2013 with 81000 miles on it. This car is by far the worst car i have ever owned. It was nothing but stress for me. I ignored all the reviews and still go the car. Worst mistake ever. I will never buy another car from GM again..

The best vehicle value I've ever enjoyed!
By mjuresich on 03/23/13 02:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '03 Vue in November of '08 for $2500 with 180K on the clock and a salvage? title. I now have 237k miles on it. I've only replaced the brakes, a wheel bearing/hub assembly, a rear drive shaft support bearing and U-joints in the 4.5 years I've enjoyed it. It just won't die! It always starts right up even on the coldest of Michigan days. The AWD is tremendous in the snow. Talk about value and reliability! I've received more than my money's worth from this vehicle. I hate rust and thus love the plastic body panels on this vehicle. Ten years old and it still looks great! I'd buy another V6 Vue in a minute!

Sad
By cayenne72 on 11/24/12 16:20 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

My Vue went our last March. I didnt drive it much I had it for 3 years. I bought it at 54,000 miles on it. Sadly enough had I driven it more it would have been covered when the tranny went out.it was a month after the deadline. I'm surprised people are still selling the 2002-2005 at 8,000. They are only worth about 4,000. It was a decent car. It's not worth 8,000,considering the transmission in it costs 5,000 to replace. Oddly enough I would consider buying a 2007-2009, but GM is so hard to deal with.

Reliable and Safe
By wgpenguin on 11/19/12 13:36 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Vue used in 2004 with 16,000 miles. I have had a couple of big things go wrong (transmission control module, water pump), but that's to be expected in a 9 year old, lower end car. I bought an after market extended warranty for $1,500 that is still in effect even now, and it's been worth it. I now have over 120,000 miles on it and I still feel like it's very reliable. My sister in law also had one - rolled it 9.5 times on the interstate and walked away with just bumps and bruises. Very safe!

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By gr82balive on 12/30/11 18:03 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the 2003 model in 2009 without doing my homework. 13 months later (after the one year warranty expired) the tranny went out.Cost me 5200 to fix 3wks later the front differential is starting to go out, quoted price:5600 to fix. After new tranny was put in my mpg dropped from approx 13 to approx 6mpg. If I wasn't locked into payments I would have scrap heaped this piece of junk when the tranny went out. Most regretted purchase of my adult life. Saturn/GM dealerships have been useless. Once one problem is expensively fixed another one rears its pricey head.DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY!

Don't buy 2003-2005 VUE
By joaniep on 09/02/11 06:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.

Glad To Drive a Standard!
By ifmullins891 on 06/04/11 19:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn (which we purchased used) has been great...until recently. We put a lot of miles on the poor thing and use it for all that it's worth and it still starts up! If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B with no particular thrills or any real "excitement," then I would absolutely recommend only this model. However, I highly recommend you DON'T tow anything heavy with this car...it just can't handle it! However, I have no real complaints (didn't replace the clutch until recently and have only started to see some problems with the car). She has almost 168,000 miles and she's still going (fairly) strong. Go VUE!