2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Awesome
By Nicole82 on 06/01/06 16:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This car has worked fantastic for three years. We have put over 70k miles on it since purchasing. The only problem we've encountered was the intake gasket (common problem) that cost $15 to replace and one day of do it yourself installing. Great Fuel Economy. This car glides. I've never driven a car that could coast downhill as well as this. My next car will be a Saturn without question. A+ satisfaction.

Very good car
By BiGdOgG201 on 12/26/05 22:19 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

It is a very nice car. Smooth ride, it has good acceleration and braking. Overall I like this car. It is my second Saturn that I have owned. They are very reliable and I have only had to replace the brakes on it since I got it about two years ago.

All around excellent vehicle
By fenachrone on 11/17/05 18:00 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My Saturn SL2 had 86K when I bought it, but it ran like a car with half the miles. Now at 130K, it's going strong, still quick for a 4 cylinder, economical, and trouble free. Yes, as others have said, the seats are nothing to rave about, but they're OK. Mine will burn a bit of oil, like has been noted about these cars, but you just have to top it up. To jazz up the vehicle a bit, I decided to get some aftermarket wheels and the best tires I could find. It helped the handling noticably (already pretty good) as well as the look of the car. I've had a couple minor issues, e.g., electronic trunk release not working, but no biggie. The car has a great stereo: very powerful and clear.

Great Car
By WagonUser on 11/13/05 09:13 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

If they had continued this model, I would have purchased another. Unfortunately, it is discontinued in manual transmission, which is the only way to drive. Very reliable. No major issues in 99,000 miles. Very responsive; great steering, good stability and quite peppy for a small engine.

Been good to me
By joemama1843 on 10/14/05 02:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Has 60,000 miles on it. Bought it used and the only thing so far that happened was the ignition had to be replaced. Other than that I've had good reliabilty with it, good milage. Best of all it's paid off.

Still going after all these years!
By Paul on 09/19/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this SL-2 in August of 2000. I put on approximately 20k miles per year. Aside from issues with the sunroof, and one of the power window switches (it broke off) it's been a great car! Now with 120k miles and 6 years on it I continue to get 30-35 MPG highway, and it still purrs like a kitten. Oh, and people think it's only a couple years old! Love plastic side panels!

Hit or Miss
By Saturn Wagon SW-2 on 09/09/05 17:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Well, Saturn is tossed around as a car every member of the family should own. Safe, reliable and economical. As the commercial says, it's a family friendly car. Just one problem with all this...you never know when your going to get a deal or a dud. I've talked to a lot of satisfied owners and a lot of unhappy owners. Me? I rode the fence until we hit 70,000 miles. Since then, it's a money pit. The transmission slips between idle and go. The aluminum heads overheated and cost $2000 to repair. We're wondering what's next. Something still sounds wrong. Best advice, shop around and talk around. We've yet to find the perfect car.

Oil Burner
By Bret Norman on 08/19/05 19:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but started using oil at about 30,000 mi and at 80,000 was using 1qt every 800 miles. Engine is noisy. Except for the engine, the car would be a good buy.

Nothing to write home about
By Saxon on 06/29/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Have had the car 5 years now, with ~42000 miles. It gets decent gas mileage, and will go all day on the highway, but heaven help you if you have to do any accelerating. Driving in city traffic can be downright hair raising, as the car can barely get out of its own way. Our car has the auto tranny, and running the A/C certainly doesn't help, but pressing the accelerator and getting nothing but more noise from the engine is not acceptable. If you don't have to deal with lots of highway merges, you'll do OK with this car. If you need any acceleration at all, look elsewhere.

Lasted well, longer than I thought
By Joe on 06/28/05 21:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in Jan of 03 used with 43,000 miles on it. It's a great economical car. It didnt give me any major problems, just a lot of interior rattling. When the A/C is on, the acceleration is horrible. The power windows gave me a little trouble, and I had them replaced and they still gave me trouble. The only major thing I have to do so far is replace the battery. Otherwise, just the general maintenence. It now has 93,000 miles on it. So it did very well for how much I've used it the past two and half years.