2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
You couldn't kill this thing if you tried...
By orinocoflow1 on 12/09/13 16:50 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

As I write this review, it is December, 2013. My parents purchased me a 2000 Saturn SL1 in 2004 for my first car. I was 17 years old then and I'm going on 28 and I still own this car. When they purchased the car for me it had around 40,000 miles. Cut to today: the car has 248,673 miles and still runs the same as the day I got it. So in 10 years I've owned the car the only major thing that has happened was with the timing chain. It messed up one night and I was left stranded at work. It cost $900 to fix the head of the motor that was cracked when the timing chain jumped time. That was it. Besides regular car maintenance (oil, tires, etc.) I've never had any problems out of it.

Doesn't Get Much Better
By tisea on 07/07/13 13:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 137,000 miles on it, and drove it until it had well over 300,000 miles (until it was totaled in a high-speed accident). If it hadn't been totalled, I would have driven the car until it just wouldn't go any longer, which I imagine would have been for a very long time. I did regular maintenence on the car, like oil changes, changing fuel filters and the like. The only extraordinary thing I had to do was change the water pump. The car never broke down on me, left me standing on the side of the road, or anything of the sort. In a four-year period, I reguarly made trips between The East Coast and Texas without any issue, and cross-country trips. It's an incredible car.

One of the most cost effective car on the road
By ron_j on 02/16/13 23:30 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Have this car for 10 years, besides a recent intake manifold change, this car only needs basic maintenance. Very good at gas mileage. parts are easy to get and cheap. At 13 years old of this car, and at 120,000 miles I drove it in a 3000 mile cross country trip without a slight problem. The car drives a like a champ. Outside paint is of good quality. After a heavy rain, the car shines beautifully like it was new 13 years ago. Overall, very basic but extremely reliable car, very economically to own. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I have no doubt it will last 300,000 miles.

2nd Worst Car I've ever owned !
By saturnh8ter on 09/15/12 07:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car is a lousy vehicle. It is not the worst car I have ever owned (I had a 74 Pinto stationwagon!) but this one is a close second. Bought car used at 90k miles after reading all the glowing reviews about the car and gave it to my wife. Three months later the engine lost oil pressure and had to be replaced. Now after 30k on a Saturn remanufactured motor, the head gasket is leaking. The auto trans sometimes has a hard time finding reverse, the fit and finish of the car is horrible, everything seems cheap! It is hard to get in and out of; I like to tell people it has all of the bad traits of a sportscar with none of the fun of driving one. No wonder Saturn went out of business ! !

Suprised, Not Shocked!
By brewcity on 06/09/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I purchased the vehicle in late 2006, and the vehicle had roughly 56,000 miles on it. The car is in good condition and have made some decent long "distant" trips and has not disappointed me on trips YET!

Engine stops
By wilson on 06/01/10 14:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Great auto except now at 75,000 miles engine stalls after 15 min of drive time and i need to shut motor down. Wait 15 -- 20 min restart and resume my short trips. What would cause the engine to stall and after a wait it start up and away I go? Some 30 years ago I know vapor lock was a problem on some cars. My problem appears to duplicate that problem.

A Workhorse
By Jason on 04/29/10 10:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

My Saturn SC1 3-door coupe has been a workhorse since I first purchased it over 10 years ago. In Texas, I used to drive back and forth to Florida, Alabama, Louisiana quite often and had no trouble. I then moved to Southern California and had to contend with the traffic here which has pushed it to its limits. I have over 130k miles, do regular preventative maintenance and have never had any major problems. I've had to replace the battery and tires a few times and just recently had a new water pump installed. Other than that, I love this car. I hope to push it up to the 250k mileage mark. When the time comes, I'm going to hate replacing this reliable vehicle. RIP Saturn.

Love My Saturn
By RBryceland on 03/21/10 06:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I leased this SL2 new 10 years ago and then purchased it when the lease term was up. It was the best thing I ever did. Gas mileage? Great! Peppiness? Yep! I've taken care of it and it's taken care of me. I've just purchased a new wagon (not a Saturn as the division is kaput) and instead of trading in the SL2, I've given it to my sister. She's thrilled.

Still Running After All These Years
By Killer Bee on 03/16/10 15:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this Saturn SW2 used with 120,000 miles for $2K. It needed just a little maintenance (new spark plugs, air filter, replaced dislodged driver- side headlight assembly, some running rust (primed and painted that) and a wheel alignment). Got on the road and it runs like a dream. Despite a high idle (800 RPM) I can get 35 mpg on the highway. The exterior is excellent; my compliments to the only other owner that had this wagon. This is my fourth Saturn and I'm going to keep it as long as possible. GM made a mistake dropping this reliable brand.

Goodbye to a Good Friend
By SaturnFan on 02/21/10 17:12 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first brand new car purchased during the first year of my first "real" job. It has never ever let me down. It has gone through a foot of Wisconsin snow as well as the sweltering heat of an Alabama summer. For 10 years it has been my best friend, always there when I needed it. It is too bad the Saturn Car Company is no longer around. I would definitely have purchased another made in America Gem. As it stands, she will be replaced with a Honda Civic, the only thing I could find remotely comparable and still supporting American jobs. Should you find yourself in the place to purchase one of these beauties, do not hesitate.