Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

This car will not Die (+200K miles, sarcasm,dated)
By just Ed

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car is a moneymaker. My goal at this point is to have it safely erupt in flames, so I am forced out of my shell of practicality. It has been SO reliable for 16 years, gotten me to and from work, and is now teaching my children the finer aspects of the shift stick. Seriously, this will be the most reliable and trustworthy car in my lifetime.

This car will not Die (+200K miles, sarcasm,dated)
By just Ed

A bit disappointing
By BenMW

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 SL2 a couple of years ago. It had about 150K on it, but the engine had been rebuilt and on my test-drive it seemed steady. Add to that Saturn's good reputation, and I thought it would serve me well.

Well, it hasn't been a complete bust; I'm still driving it. But in the last two years, I've had to replace both the fuel pump and the starter, and am now looking at brake and tire work. If I was running it into the ground, it would be one thing, but I have a short commute and do relatively little driving otherwise, so the wear-and-tear factor is minimal.

Comfort isn't my biggest concern, but it's worth noting that the SL2 is only average in that regard. Very basic interior, a bit hard for people to get in or out of (especially taller folks) and it's not a smooth ride.

That said, a newer model, or maybe one with fewer miles on it, might make for a good around-town car. But I'd be reluctant to recommend this to anyone with more serious driving to do.

You couldn't kill this thing if you tried...
By orinocoflow1

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

As I write this review, it is December, 2013. My parents purchased me a 2000 Saturn SL1 in 2004 for my first car. I was 17 years old then and I'm going on 28 and I still own this car.

When they purchased the car for me it had around 40,000 miles. Cut to today: the car has 248,673 miles and still runs the same as the day I got it. So in 10 years I've owned the car the only major thing that has happened was with the timing chain. It messed up one night and I was left stranded at work. It cost $900 to fix the head of the motor that was cracked when the timing chain jumped time.

That was it.

Besides regular car maintenance (oil, tires, etc.) I've never had any problems out of it.

The interior is extremely plastic and cheap to the touch - but this also makes drink spills a super easy cleanup. **This car is PHENOMENAL on the interstate. SUPERB gas mileage.**

Doesn't Get Much Better
By tisea

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 137,000 miles on it, and drove it until it had well over 300,000 miles (until it was totaled in a high-speed accident). If it hadn't been totalled, I would have driven the car until it just wouldn't go any longer, which I imagine would have been for a very long time. I did regular maintenence on the car, like oil changes, changing fuel filters and the like. The only extraordinary thing I had to do was change the water pump. The car never broke down on me, left me standing on the side of the road, or anything of the sort. In a four-year period, I reguarly made trips between The East Coast and Texas without any issue, and cross-country trips. It's an incredible car.

Gas milage can't be beaten.

The car was not the most comfortable for extended periods of driving.