1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Saturn SC2 is amazing!
By Jimmy Learn on 09/20/07 07:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my very first car. It is so nice and I'm not just saying that because it's my car. But because it is really nice. 37 mpg. Amazing performance and has the get up and go. I really recommond this car for anyone.

Only so-so
By frostie on 09/02/07 10:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Uninspired styling, cheap interior materials, and less than optimal comfort seriously hurt the overall rating for this car. I've owned it for 9 years now and the interior has suffered some truely annoying degradation. The headliner seems to be made from highly degradeable material that simply turns to dust when touched, buttons and controls creak when pushed, handles over the rear windows are falling off on their own, stick shift linkage fell apart and is now held together with zip ties-they want $300 for an entire shift cable set when the part that broke is a twenty-five cent plastic bushing. Despite all that is wrong with this car, the thing runs and drives like brand new. It will not die.

I love my car in every way
By Marie A Montero on 08/27/07 07:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

My car is very dependable and economic. I recommend this car. My car has 65000kms only in excellent condition.

My first car
By neighohmy on 08/10/07 16:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love this little car. This was my first car, my parents bought it from some friends with about 25k on it in about '01. I'm up to 101k right now and the only thing I've really had to replace was a cooling fan, brakes once and a few tires. I'm pretty rough on it and have put it through the ringer often forget to check my fluids nearly running out of oil & trans fluid one one occasion but it hasn't given up on me! The interior rattles sometimes but it's a small price to pay for something so reliable.

1998 Saturn SL1
By valinsd on 07/20/07 14:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Saturn SL1 has been a great car! I commute 50 miles one way to work 5 days a week, and my car currently has 215,000 miles on it. It has endured a few trips to Las Vegas and other vacation spots. Over the years we have put less than $1000 in it for repairs (other than brakes, tires, etc.). I love this car and would (and have) recommended Saturn to my friends and family. I'm hoping to get two more years out of this car before I have to buy another, so far so good.

1998 Saturn SL1 Review
By GandyDom on 05/29/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was the smartest car purchase I ever made, and I've bought a lot of cars over the years. From a viewpoint of value, reliability, and service, I am totally satified. No, it isn't a sexy car and it isn't a luxury car, but it is an excellent, reliable, and practical car.

Grab it if you can
By paul on 05/16/07 14:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

Fine the interior is kind of cheap looking, but I didn't buy this car in 1998 to compete with a BMW interior. I bought it because a tall person can drive in it (I'm 6"2"), the great gas mpg (I still get 38 highway- beat that in 2007) and there is a lot of storage room with the seat folded down. Get a tape measure and look. It beats the Forester and other small SUV's. The repairs have been extremely small. I replaced the fuel injector and that was the biggest repair. The acceleration is not great, but a good deal of the time the traffic on Long Island is a parking lot. 0 to 60 is not important when the road only goes 20. This is a simple car and cheap to own and repair.

Love it
By dvast8_21 on 05/13/07 10:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought my Saturn used with 48k miles. When I totaled it this past Nov it had 278k miles on it. I never had to do any repairs aside from routine maintenance until the past couple of years. I've only replaced the starter and axle (probably due to the many accidents I've had it in). It did have a slow oil leak, but with 278k miles, that's nothing. Also one of the head lights was prone to getting water in it during heavy rain. I loved this Saturn and hated to part with it. I am not sure about the automatic models, but I'll swear by a manual Saturn.

Good Solid Car
By Matt on 04/25/07 18:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have loved this car. The only true car repair was a motor mount, which was pretty cheap to replace. This is my first Saturn and I've been very impressed. It is a little small for a full family. Would love a few more inches in leg room.

Fun to Drive, Great Car, Great Company
By Lily on 02/05/07 18:52 PM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This car rocks! I love to drive it! Easy to steer and drive, even in tight spaces. It is just one of those cars that forms around you, and it seems to require no effort to drive it. It seems to drive itself. It's simply a fantastic car.