Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Nothing but minor problems
By Saturn Owner

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 saturn in 2002. Everything was perfect until 2005 (after the warranty expired). Since then everything slowly went on the car to include the back rear windows, brakes (expected), muffler, starter, all 4 tires (expected), ABS module, exhaust pipe cracking, wheel bearings, and now the shift cable. Currently in the shop AGAIN. But the car has lasted, just annoying to keep fixing all of these things. Still cheaper than buying a new car.

Favorite Features

THe back seat opening up to the trunk, mileage is great, car drives good in bad weather conditions due to ABS.

Suggested Improvements

More rust proof in the finish coat and the exposed auto parts.

Not a Honda or Toyota
By Subaroid!

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought this with around 60k miles, but were told it was mostly towed behind a RV. By about 70,000-80,000 miles things started going wrong. The coolant temp sensor went bad, the power steering rack took a dump, and it began to vibrate excessively at idle. We put motor mounts in it (twice) and it didn't help. The interior is cheap and seems flimsy. Lots of squeaks and rattles and it's noisy inside...lots of road and tire noise. The engine is unrefined, buzzy, and noisy. Gas mileage is disappointing. The Saturn tries real hard to be a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, but falls well short.

Favorite Features

Cheap to insure Somewhat-dent-resistant body Good handling Good automatic transmission

Suggested Improvements

Road and tire noise. Uncomfortable seats. Bumpy ride. Engine vibrations! Noisy, unrefined engine. Smooshy brake pedal feel.

the little car that could
By aw

1998 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I love my SW1!!! 200,000+ miles replaced my thermostat, battery, plugs/wires, serpentine belt, brakes, 2 sets of tires and O2 sensor. That's all even still has the original clutch. It still gets 40 mpg. for hwy only it has gotten me 48-52 mpg. Put mid to premium in it big difference. door seals do need replaced but it has lasted with 3 young boys who demolish everything. I would recommend Saturn to everyone.

Favorite Features

Miles per Gallon, literally saved me thousands

Suggested Improvements

cosmetic items: like middle console cracks, rear upper handles screws will pop out, door seals come loose

This car will not die
By jenj2

1998 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I love this little car. I was rear ended three times and nothing ever goes wrong with this car. It is now over 10 years old and still runs great. The only maintenence I ever need to do on it is the uaual oil change and I had to replace the battery due to my own neglagence.

Favorite Features

Reliability safety and gas milage

Suggested Improvements

The inside is a little is unattractive but if your looking for a reliable car this is it.

Perfect fit
By Joe Saturn

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought for our new 16 year old driver 7 years ago. Perfect for high school parking lots since the plastic paneled doors doesn't show door dings. Perfect for a budget w/29 mpg highway. Perfect balance of power and safety for a new driver. Daughter has moved on to a newer car a few years ago but I still keep the Saturn because it keeps the miles off my other cars while getting great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

It's overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Clear coat is peeling off of the paint. Headliner is disintegrating. Plastic radiator could be more durable.