1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 S-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

The only thing I can really rely on!
By LYZ

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This car has been amazing to own. My first new car purchased on my own. It's survived cross country moves, numerous road trips and never let me down. From my crazy college life to my current responsible Mom life the Saturn fits. People get hooked the first time they run to the store for me or just move it out of the driveway. Its fun, sporty, just the right size inside and out. One of my better decisions made in my 20's!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, trunk space combined with the folding seats, seatbelt adjuster for the kids, reduced force airbags, engine is easy to check all fluids and easier than some of the newer models to actually see the engine parts.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are located in front of the heater panel and there are really only 2. The door pockets are hard to clean and the interior roof lining could be a better quality

Saturn SC2 is amazing!
By Jimmy Learn

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my very first car. It is so nice and I'm not just saying that because it's my car. But because it is really nice. 37 mpg. Amazing performance and has the get up and go. I really recommond this car for anyone.

Favorite Features

Spoiler, transmission, engine, color, comfort, and the whole stealth Batman look it has. And everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Only so-so
By frostie

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Uninspired styling, cheap interior materials, and less than optimal comfort seriously hurt the overall rating for this car. I've owned it for 9 years now and the interior has suffered some truely annoying degradation. The headliner seems to be made from highly degradeable material that simply turns to dust when touched, buttons and controls creak when pushed, handles over the rear windows are falling off on their own, stick shift linkage fell apart and is now held together with zip ties-they want $300 for an entire shift cable set when the part that broke is a twenty-five cent plastic bushing. Despite all that is wrong with this car, the thing runs and drives like brand new. It will not die.

Favorite Features

Dent resistant side panels, great gas mileage, mission-critical engine reliability, fair handling capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

Up the quality of the interior controls and materials, hire some designers with creative vision for the exterior, etc... In effect, bring all the other stuff up to par with the level of drivetrain reliability and you'll have one very nice car.

I love my car in every way
By Marie A Montero

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

My car is very dependable and economic. I recommend this car. My car has 65000kms only in excellent condition.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, economic, clear to see all the way around, easy to park, nice looking

Suggested Improvements

The seat could be more supple but still comfortable.

My first car
By neighohmy

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love this little car. This was my first car, my parents bought it from some friends with about 25k on it in about '01. I'm up to 101k right now and the only thing I've really had to replace was a cooling fan, brakes once and a few tires. I'm pretty rough on it and have put it through the ringer often forget to check my fluids nearly running out of oil & trans fluid one one occasion but it hasn't given up on me! The interior rattles sometimes but it's a small price to pay for something so reliable.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, fold down back seat, dent resistant side panels.

Suggested Improvements

A better stereo. Higher quality interior.

1998 Saturn SL1
By valinsd

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Saturn SL1 has been a great car! I commute 50 miles one way to work 5 days a week, and my car currently has 215,000 miles on it. It has endured a few trips to Las Vegas and other vacation spots. Over the years we have put less than $1000 in it for repairs (other than brakes, tires, etc.). I love this car and would (and have) recommended Saturn to my friends and family. I'm hoping to get two more years out of this car before I have to buy another, so far so good.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature in this car is how roomy it is. If you compare the inside space of the Saturn SL1 to say a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla, the Saturn has way more leg room!

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of any

1998 Saturn SL1 Review
By GandyDom

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was the smartest car purchase I ever made, and I've bought a lot of cars over the years. From a viewpoint of value, reliability, and service, I am totally satified. No, it isn't a sexy car and it isn't a luxury car, but it is an excellent, reliable, and practical car.

Favorite Features

Polyester body panels never rust.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower?

Grab it if you can
By paul

1998 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

Fine the interior is kind of cheap looking, but I didn't buy this car in 1998 to compete with a BMW interior. I bought it because a tall person can drive in it (I'm 6"2"), the great gas mpg (I still get 38 highway- beat that in 2007) and there is a lot of storage room with the seat folded down. Get a tape measure and look. It beats the Forester and other small SUV's. The repairs have been extremely small. I replaced the fuel injector and that was the biggest repair. The acceleration is not great, but a good deal of the time the traffic on Long Island is a parking lot. 0 to 60 is not important when the road only goes 20. This is a simple car and cheap to own and repair.

Favorite Features

A tall person can drive in it. Great gas mileage. Very few repairs.

Suggested Improvements

At night you get some flaring on the windshield from on coming cars, keep the window clean to help. Take breaks on long drives, the seats can be tiring.

Love it
By dvast8_21

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought my Saturn used with 48k miles. When I totaled it this past Nov it had 278k miles on it. I never had to do any repairs aside from routine maintenance until the past couple of years. I've only replaced the starter and axle (probably due to the many accidents I've had it in). It did have a slow oil leak, but with 278k miles, that's nothing. Also one of the head lights was prone to getting water in it during heavy rain. I loved this Saturn and hated to part with it. I am not sure about the automatic models, but I'll swear by a manual Saturn.

Favorite Features

Handling around curves. Sporty look

Suggested Improvements

Maybe offer more modern extras

Good Solid Car
By Matt

1998 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have loved this car. The only true car repair was a motor mount, which was pretty cheap to replace. This is my first Saturn and I've been very impressed. It is a little small for a full family. Would love a few more inches in leg room.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, little more horsepower