Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Won't Quit
By Ken H

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car. I've had it for 13-years and the only thing I regret is the resale value (the New Beetle sold the same when new, but has twice the value of my Saturn today). I don't have a "lot" of miles on it (only 100,000 because of my job), but everything works like the day I first bought it. It's so good that, rather than trade it in, I'm giving it to my niece when she moves to LA. I didn't pick this off a dealer lot, I built it online and ordered it from the factory, so maybe I'm biased, but I love the car and would buy it again if I could go back in time.

I got mine loaded, so there is a lot I like. Sunroof, cruise control (hate worrying about cops), ABS & traction control, 12-disc cd changer, the list goes on.

Power mirrors on BOTH sides of car, Auto- down for passenger window and sun-roof.

So long Saturn
By mello

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I owned this car for 4 years before it was totaled in a car accident a few weeks ago. This car was a really great value. Only replaced the water pump and the head gasket. Both I did myself and I am an amateur. Parts were cheap and was easy to work on. Gas mileage was great, too. Everyone who drove it commented on how great the engine was. It looks sporty, too. The car held up very well in the accident. I am going to miss this car.

The ride was great, great pickup. The look was sporty. Parts were cheap and easy to work on as an amateur if you have the repair manual.

Headlights frosted over, but that happens. No real improvements I can think of. Good buy!

Was really dependable, but ...
By privatedetective

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I can't really complain, the car was very dependable for a long time. I have 136,000 miles on it now. It started having problems a two years ago. Water pump went first, then alternator, and then transmission leaks. I have always had a slow oil leak. Now the temperature gauge is on the fritz. I am thinking of just taking it to the dump and having it put down lol. The ceiling material is falling down, I have thumb tacks holding it up. This happened to my brothers old Saturn also. Plus the car is starting to smell. It's like a old dog I suppose.

Nondescript vehicle. Good gas mileage.

Sturdier interior.

Great first car!
By Ecjezl

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I'm 18 years old and this is my first car, and I honestly can't complain. It passed through my mom and my older sister (who ran it into the back of a hummer and over a curb in her years with it) and at 130,000 miles it still runs great with no major problems, despite what it's been through. Plastic bumpers and dent-resistant sides are great for the teen driver -- I was even hit head on and there's no more than a scratch on the bumper. The only complaint that I have is that the sound system is old and wrecked, but that's probably due to misuse and over- use rather than a fault with the car. Overall, it's great.

Dent-resistant bumpers and doors

I only wish that it got better gas milage because I'm jobless and pay for gas. :-/

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly- Saturn SC
By John

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. I think this was in a flood because it has had a very unusual repair history. I have not added it up, but the car may have exceeded its original list price in repair bills. The original owner had a stack of receipts & in 3 years I've spent over $2000 on repairs. Always starts - wish it would just die so I would junk it. I don't want to condemn the brand, but I think Saturns come in 3 styles- Good, Bad, & Ugly- I have a really ugly one. I really hate this car & I'm still driving it. If you buy a bad one, donate it & get rid of it. Plan on getting rid of mine soon.+ Getting out of it kills your back & knees nor fat friendly.

None. Interior was designed by ignoramus. Just plain stupid style. The trunk is a hair larger than an MGB. Did I mention I hate this car? Forget about Home Depot or Lowe's- you won't fit anything in it. Favorite feature- saving money. Can't buy anything because it wont fit in car

Donate it. Rescue Squads can carve it up with a jaws of life. Fire Depts can put it out for practice. Demolition derby for a guaranteed loser. Give it to somebody who thinks you like them, but you really don't... Improve this thing, make it right, put in a console, not a tray.