1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Too much to fix
By charlzm on 01/14/14 11:21 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I got the car from my mom with only 62,000 miles on it. In the 20 months I had it, I had to replace the drivers side door handle and lock, a/c compressor, radiator, H2O pump, drivers side window motor (which went out AGAIN a year later) and a tie rod PLUS normal maintenance (battery, tires, struts, brakes). But when the infamous intake manifold leak appeared, I realized I had spent $5000.00 ($250 a month) on this car and now it needed a repair that could be up to another $1k... I donated it and bought a new car. Other cons: the dash had a weird gooey black substance on it, the paint was faded and peeling, plastic body cladding panels falling off... it was a sad car.

A Great Car, except ...
By JeremyW on 04/07/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my Grand Prix used from the original owner. It was loaded with sunroof and "heads-up" display on the windshield. I loved this car. It had 50,000 miles on it when I purchased it and it had 130K when I sold it. I never had any engine problems except that the intake manifold gasket was leaking due to a known issue caused by GM's Dexcool antifreeze. Coolant leaks are a common problem on GM models from that time period. It was going to cost me about $700 to have it repaired and the car is only valued at about $1500, so I decided to trade it in on a new vehicle. The car handles well and the 3.1 liter engine delivers plenty of horsepower.

Nothing but a waste of money.
By JP on 01/19/10 02:25 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This car is the worst car I've ever owned and the problems are endless. After putting in over $5000 in repairs, so much still is broken. The interior is horrible from the seat having no padding to the whole front panel falling apart. Everything is rust and the muffler fell off and the rest of rotted. Fumes are in the car so the windows need to be kept opened at all times in which you'll end up having to please the window switch each year. Backseat and trunk leaks, no hot air even after having fixed 4 times. ABS light goes off and TCS messes up, low oil level light never turns off. The shifting is all messed up and everything rattles including the cheap audio system. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Best Car Ever
By Great Buy on 11/21/06 07:40 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new, now 10 years and 143,000 miles later, I am convinced this is the best car ever! So scared to purchase another car that I am so spoiled with this one. Very minimal issues, worst problem with the car was my accelerator cable snapped once on the interstate and I have to purchase plastic controls for the heat and air a couple of times a year.

loved the look but a money hog
By bonnie on 11/16/06 22:10 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

When I first saw the car I fell in love with it. It had everything I wanted. A week after the purchase the transmission had to be replaced. I had many engine problems. I can't even count how many times I had it checked out. I probably spent over $6,000 in repairs in the 3 years I had it. I did have fun driving it though. I loved inside of the car. It had the leather seats, sunroof, cd player and the heads up display. The sad thing is that I had to trade it in because it needed a new engine. The oil was mixing with the antifreeze. I have not had it for 3 years but still wish I did. It made me feel young. I wish mine would have not had problems. I would love to be driving it today.

good
By nate on 04/23/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

this car is in very good condition and it is very fun to drive around in town

Fun cheap car
By CGBronco on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with 91k miles in excellent condition for only $2k. Mechanical quality is very good, however interior workmanship is very weak. All plastic parts are loose and tolerances appear to be plus or minus about an inch... definately not up to japanese standards. But good looking and cheap and seemingly reliable.

Sexy Car
By epselig on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My car had 122k on it when I bought it and ran and looked brand new. I have the "Special Edition" package, which basically is the paint, wheels and sound system, and the stickers. The only problem I have ever had with any of my Grand Prix's has been alternators. I have put one in every GP I've owned (except this one, knock on wood). Other than that, it's a great ride. It's my sexy car!

a great car overall
By stympl on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My car has had no problems so far and it has 90000 miles on it. It drives like it's brand new.

Driving Enjoyment
By Brentana on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This car has been a pleasure to own, other than alternator failure times three. I've heard similar stories from other Grand Prix owners. Perhaps Pontiac needs to address the electrical system. Having heads up (a/k/a eye Q) has spoiled me for any car that lacks that option. Upgrading the tires to Toyas much improved cornering and quieted the ride.