Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Too much to fix
By charlzm

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I got the car from my mom with only 62,000 miles on it. In the 20 months I had it, I had to replace the drivers side door handle and lock, a/c compressor, radiator, H2O pump, drivers side window motor (which went out AGAIN a year later) and a tie rod PLUS normal maintenance (battery, tires, struts, brakes). But when the infamous intake manifold leak appeared, I realized I had spent $5000.00 ($250 a month) on this car and now it needed a repair that could be up to another $1k... I donated it and bought a new car. Other cons: the dash had a weird gooey black substance on it, the paint was faded and peeling, plastic body cladding panels falling off... it was a sad car.

I didn't really like much of anything about this car except the overall exterior design, which looked sharp when it was new.

I hate coupes with long, heavy doors and the B-pillar integrated door handles are prone to mechanical failure. The seats were uncomfortable and not very adjustable. The dash looked like a big piece of plastic, which it is. The interior fabric had an especially unappealing gray with red fleck pattern. Basically, the whole car could have stood an improvement. The following year, GM introduced the next generation of W-body cars which were an improvement in every conceivable way. If you want a used mid-size GM car, go for a 1997 or newer Grand Prix.

A Great Car, except ...
By JeremyW

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my Grand Prix used from the original owner. It was loaded with sunroof and "heads-up" display on the windshield. I loved this car. It had 50,000 miles on it when I purchased it and it had 130K when I sold it. I never had any engine problems except that the intake manifold gasket was leaking due to a known issue caused by GM's Dexcool antifreeze. Coolant leaks are a common problem on GM models from that time period. It was going to cost me about $700 to have it repaired and the car is only valued at about $1500, so I decided to trade it in on a new vehicle. The car handles well and the 3.1 liter engine delivers plenty of horsepower.

"Heads up" display is my favorite feature without a doubt. I don't know why they don't put this on more cars. I love the body style. It's a sharp looking car.

When the headlights go out, you have to change the whole lamp, not just the bulb. And, of course, the bulbs are $25 apiece and don't seem to last very long considering the cost.

Nothing but a waste of money.
By JP

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This car is the worst car I've ever owned and the problems are endless. After putting in over $5000 in repairs, so much still is broken. The interior is horrible from the seat having no padding to the whole front panel falling apart. Everything is rust and the muffler fell off and the rest of rotted. Fumes are in the car so the windows need to be kept opened at all times in which you'll end up having to please the window switch each year. Backseat and trunk leaks, no hot air even after having fixed 4 times. ABS light goes off and TCS messes up, low oil level light never turns off. The shifting is all messed up and everything rattles including the cheap audio system. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

sitting on a seat which feels like a old mattress with rusted springs. i love the feeling of sitting on the floor also in pain. Being sarcastic... NO FAVORITE FEATURES

recall every one before they cause a fire and blow up which is one of the recalls if no one looked it up.

Best Car Ever
By Great Buy

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new, now 10 years and 143,000 miles later, I am convinced this is the best car ever! So scared to purchase another car that I am so spoiled with this one. Very minimal issues, worst problem with the car was my accelerator cable snapped once on the interstate and I have to purchase plastic controls for the heat and air a couple of times a year.

Heads up radio controls, handling on the road, low maintenance, and just a pretty car.

Interior design materials (i.e. plastic controls and plastic door connections)

loved the look but a money hog
By bonnie

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

When I first saw the car I fell in love with it. It had everything I wanted. A week after the purchase the transmission had to be replaced. I had many engine problems. I can't even count how many times I had it checked out. I probably spent over $6,000 in repairs in the 3 years I had it. I did have fun driving it though. I loved inside of the car. It had the leather seats, sunroof, cd player and the heads up display. The sad thing is that I had to trade it in because it needed a new engine. The oil was mixing with the antifreeze. I have not had it for 3 years but still wish I did. It made me feel young. I wish mine would have not had problems. I would love to be driving it today.

It was black, had a cd player, heads up display(easier to see when you are speeding), leather seats, sunroof, tinted windows and I loved that it had small lights near the back seat so the kids could see at night.

I always see that they have problems with the paint on the bumpers or on the plastic parts. Otherwise I am not sure if all pontiacs have the same problems mine did.