Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Love my Grand Am
By alie0313

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years now, bought off my aunt. It has 150,000 miles on her and she still runs like new! Ive had to replave the power steering pump and chip that controls electricals on the dash at about 140,000 miles. Other than that, she runs great, mpg is good and plenty of room for a family!!

Great car!
By stefanie42

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I inherited my '99 Grand Am from my grandmother when I was 16 (in 2005). It had 117,000 miles on it and had no problems at all. Shortly after getting it, the window on the driver side refused to roll up. The volume control for the radio was faulty. Those were the only things that ever happened to it. I never got them fixed, and was fine. Went to college for a year without it. Sat for 2 years w/o driving. Replaced coolant system, fuel pump, and battery and it was back to running great! The side mirrors fell off (easy fix-it-yourself). Have to junk yard it because I got rear-ended. I'm sad to see it go. Considering getting another. Excellent car. I definitely recommend it!

It's fast, and looks great for that year! I'm trying to find another affordable car that looks that great around the same year and it's almost impossible. The interior is sleek and beautiful. Cloth and vinyl. Easy to clean. Very comfortable. The seat hugs your butt. Decent sound system without upgrades.

Needs stronger window motors, stronger side mirror mounts, and better volume control on dashboard. Wish it would get better gas mileage too. Otherwise, everything else is fine!

I love mine!
By turboerik

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

I inherited a 1999 Grand Am SE in 2004. I love mine! I have had only maintenance issues with mine. I love the weight of the wheel, the confident feeling of the suspension and the instrument layout. I've had it now for 6 years and I'm seriously considering getting another. The gas mileage is good, I get anywhere from 25 to 26 miles per gallon. I have always loved the Pontiac's red instrument cluster. I wish there was a larger engine option, but then the mileage would suffer. I have lowered the suspension and put Nitrous Oxide in it. I also put an after market hood on it. It looks aggressive without too personalized. Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday-because it's great!

W I D E stance, instrument layout, gas mileage.

Another engine option for power.

Owned long time
By TB

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have owed this vehicle for a long time. It look goods nice interior design except for cup holder placement. The vehicle is reliable overall but requires intake manifold gasket replacement every 2-3 year. Back window motors stop working at 100k miles. Front brakes do all the work. Car has good ride a control on road. Major engine issue at 165K if you don't count gasket replacement mention above every 2-3 years.

Sporty look

Pontiac defunct.

Old, Mostly Reliable.
By GrandAmCaravan

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since it was nearly brand new and I have never had anything major go wrong with the engine. However, various stupid things go wrong with it, instead. Design flaws include: The back wheel wells were designed so rocks chip the corners of the back doors and it rusts like crazy, the security system will randomly cut off the fuel so it won't start, the exterior mirrors will break off if a light breeze blows past, there is something in the front doors that scratches the windows, and the brackets that hold up the power windows are flawed and break easily. Also, many parts are flimsy plastic that break. Other than that it's a solid vehicle that's a good size and drives well.

If you take good care of it this car runs very well. The turning radius is good for a car of its size. Great acceleration. Stops well if you keep the tires/brakes in good shape. It gets decent mpg if you don't drive it like a moron. The climate control is really good. Fairly roomy.

It would be a great car if they had just fixed the major flaws. My friend owns a 2000 and hasn't had nearly the number of problems that I have. The dealer was none too quick to do any work under warranty, so I think they knew it was a crap car from the start. Good performance, unreliable. Get a '00.