1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Problems from day one...literally!
By From Atlanta on 08/24/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I loved the look of this car when I first bought it May 2004. Outside and inside had great looks, but found out how cheaply made it is over time. The dashboard is pealing up by the window, the bumpers are very flimsy...able to move when washing car! About a week after purchased i moved the seat higher and would not go back down. Car overheated 2 times within first 3 mths! Thank goodness for warranty! My blinker has been blinking for over 6 mths now non stop. The light isn't on, just the sound, the mileage display and clock/radio are messed up. The display shows distorted numbers. The gas mileage is horrible...about 220 miles per tank! My AC broke 3mths ago $1,000 to repair, not even worth it

Problems All Over
By Really? on 08/07/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I purchased this car in 2000 and was initially happy with it. Then after 8000 miles the front brake pads were worn and badly warped. With brand new ones installed, I lasted another 22000 miles,while the rear shoes and drums never wore. The dealers response was don't ride the brakes. I downshifted every opportunity and with 90% highway miles, that never really was a problem. So after about 6 adjustments and rotors I purchased slotted rotors. 48000 miles and no problem. Brake bias problem some engineer overlooked I assume. 2 water pumps, starter, intake manifold gasket,etc. With all the preventative maint. done one can wonder what would happen if you slipped on one service.

A FUN DRIVER
By Mike on 07/22/09 22:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I was amazed at the power of the 3.4 V- 6 and yet it gets me a constant 29 miles per gallon on regular fuel. It is comfortable to drive and handles great. The 4 spd auto trans. is great for the miliage, but you need to use the 3rd gear to get the car to hold back on steep down hills or you will use up your brakes. In the 105,000 miles we have driven it I have replaced the front brakes once and checked two weeks ago still have 90% and the rear is still at about 40%. The car just turned 250,000 and the engine & trans. work great. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and I still have no need to add oil in between oil changes. For trips it is great with all of the room in the back.

Nothing but headaches from day one!
By Barb on 07/22/09 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car for my daughter. Have had to do 3 major things that ran over $1,000 to it and now it won't pass emissions. Plastic inside is cheap and cracks easily, headlights are always foggy not matter what we do. Even purchased extra 2 year warrenty, not worth the paper written on. See tons of them on the road always in red. Must of been a popular color that year. I think we got the lemon, should have painted it yellow. Will stick with Chevy or Buicks from now on. Also will have the next one researched. Owning this car is like having a piggy bank you just keep putting money in but never get anything back. It is hopless. 2 more years to pay on, that's the sad part.

GrandAm, my best car ever
By cc on 07/15/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

O.K., so we all know about the window motors, weak right side mirror, flimsy bumper covers, brake problems, faulty security lights, and the costly intake gasket job requirement at about 60,000 miles. Still and all, this car has been wonderful to drive. I wouldn't expect to operate any car without having to fix kinks, and when I add it all together, this car has not been very expensive to own. As for the security light not allowing you to start the car, try a new key, also, letting the car just sit for 20 minutes before you try to restart it works everytime. One honest mechanic just replaced a wire and it did not happen again for over a year. Beware expensive repairs for this.

Braking down slowly
By Kaitlin on 07/09/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Pontaic Grand am se. I got the car with 50,000miles on it. It now has 117,000 Still run Like the day I got it. But it 11 yrs old And it satring to show it age. Bothe head gasket were replace, Wheelbearing, And now its been stalling out and having problem with the fuel lines. Over all I think GM made a mistake in stopping the make of this car and Pontaic...

PGT
By Sus on 06/20/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after my 97 Pontiac was totalled. I was absolutely in love with the look of this car and had always wanted it, so I was pretty excited to get it. The outside still looks sporty, but I have had some major problems with the body. First, I live in MN and while parking I hit a snowbank and the front bottom of the bumper broke off. Cheaply piece of plastic! Then I had someone hit me and couln't open my passenger side door, finally the paneling broke off on a drive home on the interstate. Maybe I just have bad car luck. As for the maintenance I haven't, luckily, had to replace anything major. It is almost at 140,000 and I just recently replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner.

frustratingly great and horrible!
By Stacy on 03/19/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

have had this car since 2000. replaced the alternator, battery, rebuilt the front end (brakes, rotors, pads, calipers, brake lines, 2 wheel bearings), paid $500 to have a dealer replace 2 sensors to keep the security system from kicking in and shutting the car off, the volume knob is broken (vol goes up when turning it down), front window motors need replaced (works 95% time)plastic dash is cracked, radio LCD light dead. spark plugs, coil packs, coil housing, replaced and still is mis-firing. During the warm months its a bear to drive with the tranny slipping badly.

Fun to drive, but some issues
By David on 01/05/09 20:40 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe

This overall has been a great first car! The car was my sisters' and when she got a newer Grand Am, she gave hers to me. The car is a lot of fun to drive, it has a lot of pick up with the V6, but has some mechanical issues. In the time that we've both had it we've replaced the passenger window motor, the passenger window, front breaks, a couple sensors here and there, it needs a new engine belt, the drivers' brake light had to be replaced and some other repairs here and there.

1999 Grand Am SE Review
By paramedic423 on 01/03/09 20:37 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 1999 Grand Am since 2000. It now has 72,000 miles on it. Having problem with rust along the side by the rear wheel wells. At about 50,000 miles the intake gasket went out and needed replacement. Mechanic said that is a typical problem for this car about every 50,000 miles. Radiator also started to leak around 55,000 mile. The front and rear spring rusted thru and broke around 65,000 mile also another typical problem for this car. Have had to replace 2 fuel injectors also. Radio control knob does not work very well any more. My car likes to go thru brakes also. Don't know why. Will be getting rid of this car soon. Other than that not to bad of a car.