Nice overall, but does have its issues
By Denton on
1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan
Bought from a co-worker with 102,000 on it, it has 117,000 on it now. In addition to the expected belts, fluids, hoses, and tune-up that it needed when I bought it, the following problems have occurred: The intake manifold failed; the radiator developed a leak; the rear shocks failed; the transmission needed to be replaced (slipping and shuddering); the temp knob broke and fell off; one of the window switches snapped in half; the alternator pulley started squealing and needed replacement; and the driver's seat leather is tearing along the seams in two places (one on the seat portion and another tear on the seat back). I've put more into repairs than I paid for the car (I paid $3300 for it)
Favorite Features
It's roomy, comfortable, performs fairly well, and gets good mileage. The climate control system works well. Overall, I like this car a lot. I think the problems I've had are unusual. Now that I've got all that work done, I'm hoping to keep it for a long time.
Suggested Improvements
The body is holding up very well (even here in Michigan) except for along the bottoms of the doors on the inside. It looks like there's a seam there that catches and holds the water. I'm gonna' hit it with some Rustoleum and pitch before this winter in the hope that I can stop the rust.