1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1997 Maxima SE - Great Car!
By corona1373 on 08/13/13 09:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

An amazingly reliable car after 210,000 miles and 17 years of service. It is dependable and has never let me down or left me stranded. I bought my 1997 Maxima SE about 17 years ago and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It is super easy to service, replacement parts are inexpensive and the engine/transmission still run flawless. With 209,000 miles it still cruises quietly down the highway and gets about 25-26mpg on highway trips. The motor is smooth and the transmission shifts perfectly. I frequently see many of the 4th Generation Maximas still on the road. If you can find a rust-free one that has been well maintained I think it's a good bet as a used car.

What a vehicle
By It just won't die! on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Max with 42k miles in 2001 off a lease from a single previous owner. Almost 10 yr later it is still going strong with 234k miles on it! Yes it has issues with the sunroof leaking, and things that just go wrong with a car with its age but overall I am in awe at how good the engine still is. I bought this after a short stint with a 1989 maxima (my first car) which I loved and have no regrets. Every time I go looking at a newer ride I just cant justify the payments and contently crank up my trusty maxima and go about my business. This thing moved with me from Atl to TX (2 trips back to ATL and back) been to FL, DC, AL, MS, NC, SC and the states in between with no issues!

Great car!
By bemmoftn on 09/01/10 07:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car from day 1, and I still love this car on day 4,655. It has always been a reliable car, never let us down. Nissan may not have built the most beautifully designed Maxima in 1997, but it sure built a fun to drive, sturdy one. We finally decided to buy a new one, and let this one go to someone else. We couldn't buy any other car. We bought a 2010 Maxima.

So reliable!
By bemmoftn on 09/01/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Nissan built a fun to drive, ridiculously reliable vehicle in 1997. We are the original owners of this 13 yo car, and never had any major issues. It has always performed, never let us down, lots of power under the hood, and there are absolutely no complaints here. It was the most eye popping exterior design year for the Maxima, but it has to be one of their best in durability. I have loved it from day 1, and I still love it on day 4,655. We finally decided to get a new car. So what did we buy? Another Maxima! And it will be ours for the next 15 years.

13 yrs & still going strong
By cool blue on 07/13/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable, reasonable yearly maintenance costs, still looks good. Moves very quickly even though it only has 190 hp. I wish I was more talented mechanically to do a few mods to tighten handling; It's handling is decent but could be better.

Satisfaction, I got mine
By Papa on 04/28/10 08:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Nissan Maxima, first one (1996) totaled in accident when rear ended by large SUV going 50+ mph as I stopped for red light. Engine of Suv was practically in my back seat before I was shot 75 yards through intersection. Not a scratch on me or passenger. Replaced it with 1997 Maxima with 80K miles in great condition. It now has 230K miles. Other than changing oil and tires on regular basis, I treat it like an off road truck. Thought about replacing it last month but could'nt turn loose of what has been a trusty companion. Took it to the shop and spent 2 grand getting her back to new mechanically. Figure she's good for another 100,000.

Today I bought a 2010 Maxima
By BHM on 01/04/10 12:19 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car that I have ever owned. The style and performance today are nearly as good as when I bought it new in 1997. You can not find a more reliable car and a cheaper one to own. It has never needed any major repairs and has never left me stranded. I have 218,000 miles and it still starts right up, handles beautifully, and runs great. My wife has had 3 new cars (not Maximas)since I bought it. This car will not nickel and dime you like some American cars. I get 50,000 miles on the brakes. I love my Maxima so much that I just bought a new one. I will miss my "97" but I am confident that some lucky kid will enjoy another 200,000 plus miles. 1997 NISSAN-MAXIMA...What a car

disappointed
By will on 05/01/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased used at 101k from dealer who picked up at auction. I heard that the 3.5 engine is indestructible so I bought it. To date. I have replaced typical parts for high mileage (front axel/cvboots, power steering pump, starter, ignition switch, and master cylinder recently which brings me to my dilemma. (brake equpt.). I have spent about 3k in 5 yrs and 89k miles. Bad gas mileage and reliability. Cheaper parts than Toyota

Great all-arounder
By bigtex144 on 03/19/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Maxima SE 5-speed about 2 years ago and am in love with it. The fact that it's my 4th car in under 2 years says a lot! I bought it with 307K miles on it (a testament to how unbelievably solid the car was and still is to this day). I'm now over 343K miles and have had to replace little; The 02 sensors, the struts (which were original), and slave/master cylinders. I get 30-33 mpg almost every tank, and that's even with mixed city/hwy. Power is still great after all these miles when I need it too! Did not come with the Bose stereo; stock CD player and volume knob didn't work and all 4 speakers were rotted out, so I replaced those and it sounds great now

Durable, Reliable Maxima
By Maxima on 12/04/08 07:32 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this '97 Maxima SE with 27,000 miles on it in 2000. I now have over 160,000 miles on it. Repairs have been minor and this car is extremely reliable, durable and inexpensive to operate and repair. In 160,000 miles I have replaced the starter, alternator and radiator. The other basic maintenance items have been replaced (struts, brake pads, battery, oil, coolant, spark plugs, hoses, belts). It has very few squeaks and rattles after 160k miles. No oil leaks either. Tires are cheap to replace. Oil is easy to change and the engine compartment is wide open compared to most new cars. I would recommend this as a good solid used vehicle.