1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
The greatest car ever!
By mcrockett on 11/07/11 16:51 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought by 1996 Maxima at a public auto auction in Dec 2005 for $2,800. The car was at 132K miles. Today in Nov 2011 I have almost 325K originial miles. This car has paid for itself over and over. I have no major problems only routine maintainence (oil changes, brakes,...). Ive had it tuned up twice. After 180K I stopped passing the MD Emission test but who cares the car is safe and reliable. I drive almost 100 miles a day for work and she still moves great. I have done several creative things including putting leather seats in from another Maxima, better radio from another Maxima AC controls and power window & door switches. Just a great Car!

Maxima gives maximum bang for your buck
By Jackie Shroff on 08/28/10 06:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this Maxima brand new. Now after 14 years and 150,000 miles, it is still running well. We did oil changes at every 3000 and tire rotations at 6000 and other scheduled maintenance. Replaced a few parts- radiator, front & rear struts, valve cover gasket, front & rear CV axle and O2 canisters. But this is the best built Japanese car. I remember a 20 year old commercial by Datsun (Nissan's previous name) "Creating Harmony by Design". Maxima is a living testimony of it. This car has been with us like a family member through college, first job, new home and all other life changes. I think it will easily go till 200K, but eventually a day will come to replace it. Great job Nissan.

Excellent Car- Great Quality
By Excellent Car- Great on 12/16/09 17:20 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE has reached a milestone. Now at 250,000 and no signs of stopping. I drive 78 to 100 miles a day for work and couldnt think of a better car to drive. Every time I think I am asking to much of the car, it just keeps on going. I have had the car since Dec 2005 at 132K, Maintenance has averaged about $1,500/ year (spread out over the entire year- oil changes, tire replacement, alternator, hoses, air conditioning service) Also got new shocks and struts... I usually have 1 maybe 2 major repairs a year like the alternator, struts... nothing out of the ordinary

Great Car
By Arnold on 08/31/09 01:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Traded my 96 Maxima over the weekend. A bit sad. Bought it in 1999 used with 70,000 miles. 10 years later 198,000 miles. Still runs great with lot of power. The best V6 engine in its class! I will miss her.

I love my car
By Lily on 04/16/07 07:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I love this car, it is incredibly fun to drive. It feels like it has more power than the numbers indicate, and the engine is incredibly smooth and light. I have never had any trouble passing someone when I need to, from a stop or on the highway. The steering feels a little loose, but when you get used to the car it can take turns and dip lanes beautifully. For the amount that I beat up on the car (a LOT, I push the car to it's limits more than I should) it has proved incredibly strong and durable. It has never broken down without giving me warning for months beforehand, and it was my fault for being to lazy to get it fixed. This car has sold me on Maximas forever. I love it.

Great Service and Fun to Drive
By Alan on 06/28/06 17:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Maxima GXE used with about 18,000 miles on it. I now have approximately 188,500. Very few repairs. Those of you who are buying high octane are wasting your money. I have been using 87 or 88 octane for the 9+ years I have owned it, and it performs just fine. I have tried 91 octane and couldn't detect any difference. Using 88 octane several years ago, it went up to 127 mph on a long empty straight stretch of road in Wyoming, and still had more to give when I backed off the throttle.

Deal of the Century
By Brian on 12/01/05 23:14 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 82,000 miles on it. I have put over 100,000 miles on it since I purchased it. I have only had to put new brakes and tires on it. I change the oil every 10,000 miles. Thats right, 10,000 miles. It burns no oil, leaks no oil and runs smooth. It floats smooth at 80mph. The car runs flawless.

GXE - Inexpensive, Reliable, Luxury
By knowak6 on 05/31/05 01:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96' GXE in the winter of 05' for $6,200 (tax, title, 30-day warranty included) with only 58,000 miles on it. Build quality for interior is amazing. Although it was well mantained, car still seemed to be brand new. The engine is seamless but it takes premium (93 grade) fuel, even with that, gas miles are respectable (22-27MPG). Car now has 65,000 miles and I have only done preventive matanence (changed oil, plugs, filters...). Car was a steal for the drivetrain alone, but is cheap luxury for a college student. GXE model came with full power, 12 disc changer, power drivers seat, keyless remote, I bought and put 17 inch Maxima SE rims for the (00-03) model. Great car!!!

96 maxima
By DERRICK on 03/10/05 09:38 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Never had any problems rides like a charm. The 96 could use a few more horses. Well comparing to the news cars, however in 1996 it was excellent. The only thing is lack of cup holders nothing major.Nothing I can really complain about

96 Maxima still runs great
By munsoor on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Never had any major problem, except with the O2 Sensor, which I later found was being recalled, so I got that replaced for free. I find this vehicle fun to drive. It is low maintenance and reliable, which is the way I like my cars. After 130k miles, it feels like I may have to replace the shocks. The audio knob doesn't respond sometimes. But engine is trouble-free.