Used 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

The greatest car ever!
By mcrockett

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought by 1996 Maxima at a public auto auction in Dec 2005 for $2,800. The car was at 132K miles. Today in Nov 2011 I have almost 325K originial miles. This car has paid for itself over and over. I have no major problems only routine maintainence (oil changes, brakes,...). Ive had it tuned up twice. After 180K I stopped passing the MD Emission test but who cares the car is safe and reliable. I drive almost 100 miles a day for work and she still moves great. I have done several creative things including putting leather seats in from another Maxima, better radio from another Maxima AC controls and power window & door switches. Just a great Car!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, CD Player, AC, doesn't take much to make me happy.

Suggested Improvements

I think its perfect, it could be alittle faster and regular gas for the fuel type instead of premium

Maxima gives maximum bang for your buck
By Jackie Shroff

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this Maxima brand new. Now after 14 years and 150,000 miles, it is still running well. We did oil changes at every 3000 and tire rotations at 6000 and other scheduled maintenance. Replaced a few parts- radiator, front & rear struts, valve cover gasket, front & rear CV axle and O2 canisters. But this is the best built Japanese car. I remember a 20 year old commercial by Datsun (Nissan's previous name) "Creating Harmony by Design". Maxima is a living testimony of it. This car has been with us like a family member through college, first job, new home and all other life changes. I think it will easily go till 200K, but eventually a day will come to replace it. Great job Nissan.

Favorite Features

Engine. Engine. Engine. decent and spacious interior, perky transmission, light steering feel, Quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Does it matter? Nissan has already made huge improvements in next generation Maximas.

Excellent Car- Great Quality
By Excellent Car- Great

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE has reached a milestone. Now at 250,000 and no signs of stopping. I drive 78 to 100 miles a day for work and couldnt think of a better car to drive. Every time I think I am asking to much of the car, it just keeps on going. I have had the car since Dec 2005 at 132K, Maintenance has averaged about $1,500/ year (spread out over the entire year- oil changes, tire replacement, alternator, hoses, air conditioning service) Also got new shocks and struts... I usually have 1 maybe 2 major repairs a year like the alternator, struts... nothing out of the ordinary

Favorite Features

Leather seats, room in the interior- the console is not right up on you, you can move around, great pick up

Suggested Improvements

I know when these cars where made Nissan had no idea about $3 dollar 93- premium gas, but that would be my biggest complaint. I know you can use other octanes but the car clearly runs the best on premium

Great Car
By Arnold

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Traded my 96 Maxima over the weekend. A bit sad. Bought it in 1999 used with 70,000 miles. 10 years later 198,000 miles. Still runs great with lot of power. The best V6 engine in its class! I will miss her.

Favorite Features

Power. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None.

I love my car
By Lily

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I love this car, it is incredibly fun to drive. It feels like it has more power than the numbers indicate, and the engine is incredibly smooth and light. I have never had any trouble passing someone when I need to, from a stop or on the highway. The steering feels a little loose, but when you get used to the car it can take turns and dip lanes beautifully. For the amount that I beat up on the car (a LOT, I push the car to it's limits more than I should) it has proved incredibly strong and durable. It has never broken down without giving me warning for months beforehand, and it was my fault for being to lazy to get it fixed. This car has sold me on Maximas forever. I love it.

Favorite Features

The engine :-) I love love love it. This beautiful engine, I cannot stop raving about it.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely needs snow tires for driving during heavy snow. Other than that, the steering could have a tighter feel (this is also my fault because I beat up my suspension). Sometimes to be at a comfortable reach to the steering wheel, I have to move my seat up more than my legs would like. That's it.