Used 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

buyer beware
By Chris Moore

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car with 28,000 miles on it and my wife put 40,000 miles on it in about 7 years. I kept the oil changed and tires on it with no real problems, except for the door handles breaking, until recently. First the engine light came on sporadically and I could feel engine hesitate. Got the code checked out and it's was somewhat generic (p0300) with up to five different system that could be the problem. I changed the plugs and ignition coils and the motor ran better but there was another problem. Took it to a garage and have the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter replaced. Cars running just fine again. One week later the oil light comes on and I add 3 quarts and I'm going to run the car for around 1k miles before I take it to get an oil change. Within another week or two the car starts sounding like the exhaust manifold is bad again. Before I can get the car to the shop it dies on the side of the road. Look at the oil and it's black with less than 500 miles since I put the 3 quarts in. The engine is now dead and I've already put around $2k into the car in the last 2 months. This really sucks for a car that I thought would last well over a 100K miles. I'll never buy another Nissan again. If you want to see all the problems with this motor look up misfires, exhaust manifold, and precat.

Great car
By blue0730

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the original owner and have had no problems with my car going on almost 11 years. She still drives great and is in great condition. I saw others say the v4 has issues but mine is going on 125k miles with none.

Sporty and reliable
By aposak

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Daily driver for 10 years now. 190k, original engine and transmission. Still looks good, performs well, and still fun to drive. 4 doors means extra utility and lower insurance. The 4-cyl from this era have major engine problems... go with the V6.

The V6 gas mileage has never been close to as poor as the sticker indicates... 30/23 has been my avg. Great reliability. Roomy. Spring loaded tilt steering (not friction lock), and friction lock telescoping.

Not much road noise insulation, so buy good tires. Front brake rotors warp under heavy braking. Torque steer is pretty bad. The traction control is effective but feels wonky. Back springs wear out and cause the car to squat. Interior materials are cheap, and the fit and finish isn't great. Headroom is lacking if you're tall and sit upright. No stereo AUX input.

loved this car intill.....................
By 0altima3

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought this car used in 2005 with 21000 miles on it was evrything i wanted loved my car praised it was black on black with leather 6 years later still turnning heads flawless inside and out took the best care of the car nothing but synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles nothing but premiume 91 76 gas and last week discovered no oil in my engine with only 82000 miles had read up on it about a year ago and called nissan and they said it has to do with how you maintence your car so i thought would not happen to mine but i was wrong no one took better care of a car then i did nissan needs to do something will never buy another nissan and will tell anyone who will listen getting rid of my baby

everything inside and out style performance car had everything i wanted planed to keep for at least another 5 years. so sad that nissan will not stand by there product a car this maintained should not needs a new engine and after reading all the reveiws not going to waste my money to try to fix it plan to get a honda

fixed the faulting engine and cat this could be a recall cant beleive nissan will do nothing planed on trading in this altima for a new one in a few years thats how much i loved this car but now never again will i buy a nissan

GREAT CAR
By Canadian owner

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has done well even in the extreme temperatures that we have here in Canada. I'm in sales and as a result spend alot of time in my vehicle. My hats off to the company for making such a great car. I'm picking up my new one on Saturday!