Great SUV for under $5K
By az66bug on
1997 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD
Bought this Montero 2 years ago after doing allot of research for a reliable SUV for under $5K; this was one of 5 suggested. I didn't want something big like a Expedition or small like a Escape and this fit the bill. It had 141,000 miles and I knew it would need some money for maintenance items like timing belt, etc. I only paid $3800.00 so had room to do these repairs. Although I did have a cooling issue that turned out to be the radiator, overall I am happy with this Montero. It's a 3rd vehicle that I bought for hauling around the dogs and Home Depot runs that I drive allot more just because it's pretty fun to drive and simplistic in nature, which I like.
Favorite Features
Tough 4x4 easy to shift into and out of four wheel drive, not to big or to small, easy to work on yourself with basic mechanical skills, gauges, cargo room (without 3rd row seats), tool kit/flashlight, basic SUV that were built to last (they made this model for many years overseas), unique in style - much cooler than the 1998 flared fender style or the completely restyled 2001 and new models (my opinion of course)
Suggested Improvements
gas mileage sucks but I expected that from a SUV of this size, sunroof is cool but worthless for those in the front seats, stereo system, use of a timing belt instead of a timing chain..... The only complaint that really matters in my opinion is A/C isn't the greatest and NO REAR A/C... Outside of the A/C I doubt I'd get rid of these unique SUV