Used 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Montero-sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

321,000 and still going
By nmcgahee

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My little Mitzi (After 200,000, they need a name) just turned 321,000 miles with only a radiator replacement at 200,000. I love this car. I just wish Mitsubishi still made them because I know she can't last forever. Biggest problem now will be finding parts when they are needed.

Favorite Features

Rugged reliability. I am an avid outdoorsman and spend many days in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains. She's never left me stranded.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Montero sport back in production.

Perfect for me....
By m67

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV 3.5XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, it is a rather tall-standing SUV, so you should expect the inherent flaws of being a bit top heavy and poor gas mileage. I bought my '01 XS used a few years ago and it has been a reliable daily driver without fail. These vehicles were very well made and with proper care will last many years; mine is nearly 15 years old and still looks and drives perfectly.

Favorite Features

I like the moderate, but ample power of the 6G74 engine and the capable 4 wheel drive ability built onto a rigid truck frame. I like the overall styling inside and out....to me, it just looks tough and has a nice aggressive stance, but it still offers plenty of comfortable interior space. I like the overall build quality as everything is fairly precise and heavy-duty. In addition, the extensive rust-proofing keeps these vehicles looking good too.

Suggested Improvements

Minor improvements to the front suspension and steering would be my initial suggestion. It's not terrible for an SUV, but it could be tightened up a bit. At least there are after-market upgrades available for this.

2001 Montero Sport ES - AMAZING CAR!!
By nightlisa

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

BOUGHT BCUZ: I bought this car because it was the right price, I got it when it was about 4yrs old, and they wanted less than $8,000 for it, sold cheap because the young girl who it was bought for - thought it was ugly & not sexy, she wanted a little car. AMAZING: Other than buy a new car battery after 4 years, do the brakes & Oil, and change an O2 sensor for DEQ - this car has ran like a champ with little to no down time in the mechanic shop. I've had an accident or 2 and it has held up amazingly well, paint looks perfect - body barely has a scratch, and navigates like a dream still. Yup its ugly but my wallet loves it.

Favorite Features

All kinds of room in the car, love that. Easy to get car seat in and out.

Make sure you have Triple AAA!
By ctepedino

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used a little over a year ago. It is a 2001. We drove it very little at first, but since August we have driven it everyday locally. Since August, we have had it towed three times and drove it limping into the garage two times. I have spent about $1500 in repairs. The worst thing is driving it with the anticipation of when will it go out again. The car had about 120,000 miles on it when we bought it. We have put about 11,000 miles on it this year (which is a normal average). Very scary driving knowing you will be stuck at one point or another.

Favorite Features

Good features are over-shadowed by the lack of dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Concentrate less on appearance and more on getting the person to where they want to be consistently.

Mits. Montero Sport LS 4X4
By lukin4mikey

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I first liked this SUV when my parents had bought one brand new back in 2000, When they got it, it had 12miles, currently has 210+ and still running strong! I was in the market for a new vehicle and came across the same vehicle but a 4X4, it had 102,000 miles, only flaw was the transmission fluid had been contaminated by the lack of knowledge at jiffy lube, I purchased the montero sport and replaced the transmission since i have had NO PROBLEMS! it currently has 197,000 miles, The only thing i have done since is change the motor oil and she is still running strong! I would give it a 5 star rating! I absolutely love my Montero Sport and sad Mitsubishi has stopped making them! =(

Favorite Features

I love the great cargo room and comfortable seats, plenty of head and leg room in the back and front.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it was a bit bigger with a 3rd row seat.