2015 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2015 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

You really need one
By Roger

2015 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My second Mini. They're a lot of fun to drive with great cornering and acceleration. Perfect convertible for Florida.

BMW doesn't honor its warranty
By Dr. Henry Mullaney

2015 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Mini Cooper provides a 3 year warranty on the car, but BMW refuses to honor it. BMW makes the engine, clutch, and transmission for Mini Cooper. To simplify logistics, they use the same clutch on all their Mini drive chains. As an engineer, I know that the first rule for choosing a clutch for a car is that it should be able to handle the torque produced by the engine. The Mini clutch was designed for the standard 140 HP Mini engine. The JCW comes with 208 HP. To make matters worse, the Mini clutch is backwards from standard clutches. During shifting, the clutch disengages the transmission and not the engine. That means that the thrust bearing continues to rotate while handling a lot of load. The standard half inch steel bearing cannot hold up to the 208 HP engine. There is an easy fix to this problem which engineers know about. You replace the half inch steel bearing with a three quarter inch ceramic bearing made to handle the horsepower. To save less that $10 per car, BMW decided not to do this. Therefore their clutches wear out. The last time my clutch failed, about 2 years after purchase with a three year warranty, BMW refused to pay for my warranty repair, and I am out about $2000.
I asked my dealer to use a heavy duty clutch which I would buy during this last repair. But their contract with Mini Cooper doesn't allow them to use any parts but BMW parts. BMW tells me that I do not know how to drive a clutched car. I have driven Saabs with standard transmissions and clutches for over 20 years and have never had a clutch failure. I currently drive a 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible with 150,000 miles on it, with the original clutch still working fine.

Love/Hate Relationship
By rose nied

2015 MINI Cooper 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 3cyl Turbo 6M)

So far most of what I have to say is positive...and I do love my new Mini 4 Door Hardtop...But I have been having repeated problems getting the Apple IPhone Siri to work through my speakers. I have contacted Mini...they say it's Apple...Apple says it's Mini...Meanwhile dealerships don't seem to have the answers either...not enough training at some of the high tech levels at some of the dealerships...I found a round about way to do so by connecting Pandora...but then I was using data...Upon further research of this problem, it appears there have been others with similar problems which still have not been addressed by Mini. I did get Mini Corp and Apple on the phone together today. Mini says they are looking into it and will get back to me...so I can't judge or say for certain what the outcome will be...but it is frustrating not to be able to get my navigation through the speakers. Other than that the car drives great. Amazing amount of power in this little guy. Seats are extremely comfortable. I love the heated seats during the cold winter days. Like the added side visor on the driver's side of the car...perfect to keep that sun out of your eyes. Sound system of Harman Kardon is great! More room than you think in the 4 door once seats are down. Nice area to hide valuables in the back storage area as well. Wish the keyless entry was just a simple touch with a finger instead of a push...but not I'm getting picky. Also wish the fob created a sound from the car when you pressed it...that always helped me find my car. Not as stiff a ride as I though it would be...big improvements from previous models. Also, it's getting just ok gas mileage...I was spoiled by a Prius C before though. This one eats Premium. But all in all, I think it's a very attractive vehicle and once I get this nagging navigation situation resolved will like it even better! PS Did not like the "S" seats...I found them not so great for short people...However, I have heard that taller people really like them. Glad I had a choice.

MINI Owner
By Pam C. (Michelangelo my MINI)

2015 MINI Cooper S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first car. I bought the 2015 MINI S 4 door with 17in wheels and it is AWESOME. I really enjoy this car, its gets be from point A to point B in a fun, quick and safe. When looking for my first car, I wanted something that was safe, reliable, great on gas, great resale value(even now I wonder why I would ever sale this car). The first time I test drove this car I was hooked, because it is so much fun to drive, I look for curves in the road and hills and valleys, its just fun and even though it is a MINI it has more space then you would think and more room then one would expect. One of my favorite things is that MINI gave creative thought to the small things like where the gas tank is located, the way your MINI will wink at you when you get in, the heartbeat of the car, mood lighting etc. Even though it has all these fun things the car is crazy safe, like the gas tank cut off if you are in an accident to keep from fire, the 8 air bags and so many other things. I would highly recommend this car to anyone because it's more than just cute and fun but safe and reliable.

Enjoying my wife's MINI - 2door hardtop
By Rune Harboe

2015 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)