Used 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Biggest Waste of Money
By lynn_m

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year and a half ago because of the raving reviews on this site. I spent $7,000 for a 2002 with 70,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles I have to put $2,200.00 into the car. The whole front suspension is shot. Upper and Lower Ball Joints Sway Bar Links Idler and Pitman Arms I am very disappointed in my investment. Also that car gets horrible horrible gas mileage. Probably 12 miles to the gallon.

Favorite Features

Its comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Don't Buy!

Pleasantly Surprised
By Chappy91

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a reliable second car for the family and the dealership had this cream-puff on the lot. Garage kept, prestine condition. Have had it two weeks and am enjoying the 45 mile round trip commute to work. Surprisingly great gas milage, I use premium in the tank. Smoother than silk ride, corners like a dream. I definitely feel safe having my family in the car. I forsee many excellent years in this beauty. By the way, this is my first Ford...swore I would never own one...previously only owned Japanese or German...making a believer out of me.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride, quiet, solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are worthless except to hold change or cell-phones in.

Wish my Dad could have enjoyed this car
By Lennis

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I can't say enough good things about this beautiful car. I bought mine in February 2009 with only 56,000 miles on it and lots of garage time, so it is immaculate. What a pleasure to drive. Mine is the LS with the billboard size digital dashboard readings and all the bells and whistles. Though it is seven years old, everything works perfectly. Never and oil leak or a squeek or a squak. The ride will nearly put ya' to sleep. My worst MPG is 21.6 mpg and my best is 25.8. Nuttin' wrong with that. Love this car, and just wish Daddy could have seen it, as he loved Mercs! This is my first one after owning Dodges, Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs.

Favorite Features

Combo entry on door in addition to remote gizmo. Intrunk CD player. Leather seats. Beautiful digital dashboard. The mudflaps and chrome trim on the doorposts that the dealer added. All the adjustments you can make to the seats. Controls in the steering wheel. Roomy trunk thanks to donut tire.

Suggested Improvements

I dislike the shotglass-size cupholders that are smack dab in front of climate control readouts. I bought a "real" cupholder at the auto store and secured it to the floor. Also, next winter when the roads are snowy, I am sure I will miss the frontwheel drive to which I have grown accustomed.

A Real Car
By A Wayne Carnell

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The rear wheel drive remains appealing to this buyer given the mechanical simplicity of the power train. Proper winter snow tires are essential for driving on snow and ice and where permitted studded tires improve traction immeasurably. I have owned Lincolns through the years and the Marquis is of equal space and ride quality at a significantly lesser price.

Favorite Features

Climate control and the pedal adjustments for persons small in stature.

Suggested Improvements

Whilst cup holders are of high importance for some the positioning in the ashtray which demands that it be open for extended periods rubs/cramps the drivers right leg and knee. Upon an accident impact it would surely cause undue and unnecessary to the drivers knee. Bad safety design.

AAA Excellent Car
By Frank

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car handles like a dream. I don't know where some of the people get off giving it a bad review. I am 43 years old and have driven everything from Beetles to Vettes. This is a great car for the money, runs strong and mileage is fine. Especially for a big car. This car looks and runs great.

Favorite Features

Ride, room, feel of steering. AC is ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Move cupholders