1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: Joy to drive, but painful to s

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Review

Joy to drive, but painful to service.
By JDA on

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Inherited this car while under warranty. This car has beautiful lines, a comfortable interior, and sensational performance. I love to drive it, and I will miss it in three days, when the new owner takes possession...sniffle, sniffle. However, having owned Nissans and Toyota's prior to this vehicle, I have to say, the reliability on this car...not so good. We have had $4,600 of repairs since 2001, mostly electrical, frequently involving window motors - and the car only has 70k. Further, we had to have rear car- seat tethering mounts installed - very expensive on something that should be standard. Electrical issues/ $ repairs outweighed road performance; we switched to an Infiniti.

Acceleration from 70-95mph. Handling, seamless ease of transmission - this car effortlessly dominates the road - smoothly cruises through corners and bends. If you like driving, you will love this vehicle. Seat adjustment system.

Electrical system. Rear car seat tethering mounts should be standard. I hate the 1 blade windshield wiper..grrrrr. The center console has too many similar knobs and buttons. You can only get the oil filter at the dealer.