Used 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

15 Year W124 Owner
By olmectech

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

The main problem with these older Mercedes is people who cannot afford to maintain them get them because of the cheap price. These cars can take allot of abuse and you will not see many cars from 80s and 90s still on the road. But everything requires up keep, even new cars.

I have a new BMW that I like, but it's not the same love affair as with my 300e. I drove 2011 E-class before I bought my BMW and still think my 300e is a better car than the new Mercedes E-class. The new E-class is heavy and tiring to drive around town. The smoothness of the transmission and engine is legendary. Even after 18 years, car rides like a dream.

If you can find one that has been well maintained you will be very happy.

Best Benz thus far
By nickohio

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 Benzes, all bought with some miles on them. Our W124 300E 2.8 is the remaining Benz in our garage and though it has 189k on its clock, it is still the most solid car of anything I've driven or ridden in, new or old. Safety is #1 in my book, as it saved the life of our daughter who was hit in the rear by a car doing 50mph. The Benz was properly repaired. I will always own a Benz. Every year, I put money in it to keep it going, but it soldiers on with class and style and is a blast to drive. Absolutely, it is one of the best Benzes ever made and one of the easiest to maintain. Great mileage, as well, as it still gets 28-30mpg on the i-state at 70mph.

Safety, Style, Mileage, Performance & sound of the DOHC 6 is very nice. Easy to maintain.

Wish Mercedes still made this model.

Do Not Keep Beyond Warranty Period
By

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

A 2 car family and wife doesn't drive much so drove about 3k per year. Problems began after warranty expired. Over the years Had to replace Ignition wiring, fuel pump, key lock that required replace steering wheel & air bags, cylinder head, ignition wiring harness. This should not happen to a Mercedes. Maintaining car expensive (is that what they mean by luxury car.Had much fewer problems with my Celica. 2nd car now Infinity.

Car handles beautifully and comfortable on long rides. Drove twice to Florida from Maryland and did not tire after hours on road

Pay as much attention to producing car as done to design

Excellent over-engineered solid safe car
By whchuang

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

The W124 (google or wikipedia about it) is considered the "last true" Mercedes that had went through a LOT of crash/safety test, VERY solid build. After 17 years, my car still looks like new (both interior and exterior). It's amazing! If you look at YouTube and search for "Fifth Gear's W124 Built Quality" you will truly be amazed! Maintenance can be a bit costly, but if you know of a good mechanic you should be fine. Highly recommended!!

Solid build, exterior paint quality (feel like last forever), interior (simply luxurious), ride comfort,

a bit better acceleration maybe? better AM/FM factory radio

Saved My Life, So I bought another!
By rhipper

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

After 200,000 trouble-free miles, my 300E was totaled in a 50 mph rear-end strike by a Chevy SUV. All four doors still open perfectly despite the car being crushed up to the rear window.As an engineer I understood the strength of this body, so I bought another 1993 300E 3.2 to drive for another 17 years. A wonderful solid car, albeit not flashy, just excellent.

The seats are exceptionally comfortable for long drives, and the car is reliable if you have regular scheduled maintenance.It is exceptionally stable at high freeway speeds and beyond. A real MB sleeper.

None, the car is a driver, not a rolling entertainment center. No cup holders, no frills. I drove mine at 100+mph in AZ all the time. It was stable at those speeds. It'll move 4 people comfortably and still get 25 MPG.