Used 2004 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Most Helpful|
adequate vehicle
By bookworm

2004 Mazda Tribute DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, not a bad vehicle. Never owned a Mazda and after this may go back later on. NOT very comfortable on lower back for cross country trips. Own 5 speed 4 cylinder engine. Performs ok for size. Shifting can be difficult especially for reverse. Upsides - roomy cargo area, better than average front leg room. Handles well at speed. If you buy a Tribute, go for a v6 engine. Not bad gas mileage for an SUV, averaging about 20/23.

Favorite Features

Vision out front and small "blind spot" than most vehicles. Stereo system is good as is dash and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Add cruise to manual trans. Get rid of 4 cylinder.

Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4x4
By cphuey

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase my Mazda Tribute from a local Mazda dealer in the Mpls/St Paul area. Went to three different dealers, ended up going to back the 1st dealer. My Tribute is loaded, with leather, had 5000 miles on it demo. I have driven in the cities daily, and to the Black Hills. The SUV sticks to the road even the wind. Engine has pently of power for SUV. It is does not feel like a big SUV in tight parking lots, crusing around the cities. Seats are very comfortable, good viewing all around the SUV.

Favorite Features

V6 3.0 liter Engine, console, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage, and the cruise control would stay within mile or two of the destinated speed, car tends to take off over hill peaks, and long downward hills

Is mine a lemon?!
By DBB

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

About 25% of what we've paid Mazda has gone to the service dept. They recalled something we had fixed over a year ago and we are still trying to get our rebate. The SUV does not come with brake squeelers. And I had it in the shop just 8K miles ago and the brakes were fine, only to find when I took it in for it's "every 5K mile maintenance" that the brake pads were so worn that I had to buy new roters. Needless to say, I tell everyone I know who is buying an SUV to consider something else.

Favorite Features

I like the look of it, just wish it ran better.

Suggested Improvements

They should add squeelers and guarentee their service work.

Frustration with the Tribute
By Robyn Teigman

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i have had this car for almost three years and have had numerous problems with it from the day we purchased it. It is the second Mazda I have owned, the first being a 626 and I am finding similar types of problems. I have had leaks from the body, have had to replace all four tires, the sun roof and electric seats do not work intermittently, the lastest problem - when the car is cold it sounds as if my power steering is not working. I have had the car in for countless services. It is frustrating as I enjoy the ride and the comfort of the car, but do not trust it.

Favorite Features

the car has good pick up, is comfortable and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Overall, my experiences with Mazda are that is is not the best made vehicle.

rides like a truck
By smashingk

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

steering went out at 9000 miles. Altogether performance isn't that great. The ride is very uncomfortable and when you lower the windows, you can hear loud buzzing noises.

Favorite Features

The price was reasonable.

Suggested Improvements

Everything