Used 1998 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

The engine will last forever
By MinnesotaCatWoman

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I consider my 11 year old Protege to be young by Mazda standards with only 149,000 miles on it. My family owned a '91 Protege and drove it to 277,000 miles over the course of 8 years. The engine runs great and the car always starts in all weather. Manual transmission handles great in snow and ice, car is a bit unstable driving through deep mud and water. I get 37 MPG highway. Car is so little that it's not very comfortable on the highway. You feel every bump in the road and every wind gust. The body has lots of rust on it but the car lives in Minnesota. The suspension is giving out, likely due to rust. I love my little car but wish the suspension wasn't dead.

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage, comfortable front seats, great visibility (almost no blind spot), rear defroster works great, roomy rear seat, easily accessible battery for jump starts or replacements.

Suggested Improvements

Make the sunroof a power sunroof, make fold down rear seats. Would like to be able to pop my trunk from inside the car, only way to open the trunk is with the key.

Timex Tin Can
By craig

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

The car has been very reliable as others have mentioned, however this is transportation at it's most basic level. This car is a noisy tin can on wheels. Radio must be cranked in order to overcome excessive road noise. Car lacks power even with the larger 1.8L engine and is really not that great on gas. I rarely take it on highways and my wife refuses to drive it at all because of the "Tin Can" feel. With that said, it is a reliable beater for local commutes but would not take this car on long trips.

Favorite Features

Dependability, smooth running 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

Improve body panels and insulation. Improve power and gas mileage. Improve interior material quality.

11 Years and Still A Great Car
By Nadine

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Mazda for eleven years. Purchased it from the showroom floor. After 150k mi it is still running strong. I am still getting 34 mpg, that is fantastic! I am just bumped they no longer make these cars! I can only hope the Mazda 6 is as reliable as my trusty Protege has been!

Protege
By Slavik Melnik

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 2 years. Put many miles on it, but now its leaking oil and a bunch of other problems. I needed to replace the serpentine belt 3 times in 2 years. Had to replace the battery once too. Don't buy this car if it's got more than 150,000 miles on it. Everything seems to go wrong with it when it reaches that mark.

Favorite Features

It's good on gas millage. That's the only good thing about it.

Suggested Improvements

The drive train always has issues,constantly squealing belts, bad head gasket cover, leaky oil and everything else. It's a maintenance hog pretty much.

Worst car I ever owned
By j c

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The front end vibrated all the time, and no mechanic could figure out why. It idled rough and couldn't be fixed. The front brake pads needed to be replaced every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. The transmission stuck and when it did finally shift, it really jolted me. One of the four engine cylinders was low in pressure. The car had too small of an engine for the size of the car. All of this was from the beginning of ownership. It had only 40 miles on it when I bought it in Dec, 1998. I think I got a lemon.

Favorite Features

Locking door to the gas cap. Cruise control. Tilt steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Better transmission. Something to keep the car from vibrating. Better brakes.