2002 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
I Can't Complain
By wiz8mom on 08/31/12 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our MPV used in 2005 with about 45,000 miles on it. With an extended warranty, we paid total about $11,000. It now has 227,000 miles on it (365,000km). We had to have the transmission replaced at 95K miles, but it was covered under our extended warranty. We had coils replaced at one point, and a couple of other repairs around the $300 mark. Regular oil changes and routine maintenance (brakes, trans. fluid, etc), this van has kept chugging along. Along with daily driving, we drove from Auburn, WA to B.C. Canada twice a week for 2 years (6 hours round trip), while hauling 2 drums, harnesses, 2 sets of bagpipes, and 4 teenagers, 2 adults. We averaged 22-24 hwy mpg

A Good Pal
By joe4prez on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV new in 2002 and now have 82K miles. We've had a good experience with the van with very few issues. The only problems were replacing 3 coil packs at 65K miles and the fan module at 72K miles. Cost us about $500 for both. After 8 years the car is still solidly built, no electrical or mechanical issues, and no rusting. So far so good.

Horror!
By zpg on 08/08/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

Don't Buy It
By 02 Mazda Lx on 07/29/10 16:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We first saw the Mazda MPV at the 2001 LA Car Show. I fell in love with third row fold and sporty design. My wife and I have two boys and the car was perfect for our needs. Then the nightmare began. We have had the transmission flashed two times because of shift problems. The PCV pipe cracked and caused idle problems. The brake rotors went out of balance and shook the car like helicopter was above us. Now at 72K the transmission failed. Payed 1400 to replace it. 2 months later the radiator fluid has leaked into one of the transmission cooling lines and again the transmission misshifts. It is in the shop more than on the road. Save yourselves and do not buy this vehicle. I am trading mine in!

Used
By rich on 03/26/10 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car is awesome for me. The interior space with rear seats removed makes this van a winner hauling stuff, camping out or whatever. It's been a very dependable car with plenty of pep and it is really well balanced, even with a full load, the car drives the same!

Too many mechanical problems
By Jim on 01/26/10 09:03 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 3.0l engine and 5 speed gives the MPV a great drive. Fit and finish is good. But at 60,000 miles I have needed to replace ignition coils, have had numerous transmission problems and underside of the hood has rusted into swiss cheese. My MPV also seems to wreck rear tires, has a small coolant leak and the door locks don't work anymore. Exhaust fell apart at 40,000 miles. I expect to have problems with an older vehicle, but have never had problems like this with anything I've ever owned before. I love the car, but not as much as my mechanic.

One of the worst
By zzz on 12/04/09 05:45 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Shocked to see average consumer rating is 8.8. One if the worst ever owned. People must not own this vehicle for long, or drive it very much, otherwise how could you not have these persistent problems: coils, pcv hoses, fan control modules (all these have failed multiple times, some even after the recall work). Lesser frequent problem: tranny totally quit, front stabilizer links, control arms, wheel bearing, coolant reservoir cracked, intake bellow gone bad (too lean CEL), O2 sensor, catalytic converter below threshold, driver side window motor, flex pipe leak, rust everywhere. All these problems happened on an MPV bought new and religiously maintained.

Good value
By Nick072261 on 10/25/09 06:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife & I purchased this mini-van with 12,000 and we now have 66,000 miles on this vehicle. Initial problems included the Shift Solenoid for the transmission, oil gasket and seals around timing chain case cover were replaced and a noise with the fan was fixed. All work was covered under the warranty. We have put on 40,000 miles since our problems without any other issues. The car has a V6 dohc Ford American made engine that was used in the Taurus. Funny thing is our problems were all related to the Japanese parts - go figure! Anyway, I would consider buying another if they were still being made. We plan to keep this car until it dies (hopefully not anytime soon)!

Buyer Beware of Mazda
By turpster on 08/29/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 Mazdas and probably will not again. Neither were vere good. The MPV at 35,000mi. needed the transmission flushed which was not a Mazda recommended service. The Mazda rep said even though the flush wasn't listed in the manual they recommended it be done or the warranty would be voided. 50,000mi. PCV hose replaced under warranty. The vehicle had always seemed not to run smoothly before and after hose replacement. The transmission is a myriad of issues in how it operates and its quirks. The final was the new hose failing again and something else causing the motor to run very rough and at half power. At "68,900mi." we clunkered it for a Honda. How about that for value retention?

was in love for six years; now betrayed!
By sofla on 04/07/09 10:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely have loved this vehicle until this week. Bought it new off the lot, invested in all the recommended maintenance. So easy to handle, with a sportier look than most mom-vans. I have loved its versatility; it has been spacious enough inside for 2 kids and a dog on many 1,000-mile round trips. No problems, but last week stopped cold in the middle of a busy road. Two dealers haven't been able to isolate the problem, but we're getting a new (refurbished) $3,000 engine. Thought it was the coil, but replacing that didn't help. Now I don't trust that it won't do the same thing to me somewhere else! Really thought doing so much preventive maintenance would put us better off than this