Used 2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Best Car I've owned in 46 years
By Art Toye

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

From Accuras to Lexus, this is the best all around car I've owned in the last 5 decades. This actually the second Mazda in 1972. The first was a Mazda RX2 with a wankel rotary engine. That's was the start of Zoom Zoom. Anyway, I got the Grand Touring because the difference between Touring with Nav, and a few accesssories was $27k vs $31k. And, then you get all the bells and whisles included. Like what are leatherette seats that's included in the Touring. Why not go for real leather. Anyways, the radar braking and cruise control are two of the amazing features, standard. They allow you to set your highway speed and it will adjust if traffic slows down and speeds up again or it will slow down if someone cuts in front. Also, it also slams on the brakes if traffic stops. Handling is amazing through the canyons in southern CA. And it's like hitting a pool of taffy when you brake. The standard 19 inch wheels probably have something to do with it. Standard directional Xenon lights were a little foo-foo till you actually see them adjust going around corners or a dark freeway off ramp. They really help light up the road in the direction you are going. ( However, I hate to get an estimate if I ever have to replace them!!. Same for the side mirrors with the built-in lane change sensors) I am amazed at how well the lane change sensors work. When a car is beside you and signal a lane change, the car beeps, warning you. How it know the difference between a parked car on the right or objects not a factor on the left is amazing. I got 42 mpg doing 75 going LA to SF on a couple occasions when the car was new. I think I had tailwind though. Now it seems to get 32 to 34 consistently. I still get 40 once in a while. Around town I get between 24-28.

The absolute worst feature is the tom-tom voice nav system. Sometimes, I trying to program the Nav system by voice on long trips by voice. It never works but it give you someone to talk to. Manual programing is ok but a pain and I do use it, but I use my iphone when i want to get quick and easy GPS navigation. Another thing the Tom-tom does not do is show an overview map without a lot of fiddling with the controls, something you don't want to do while driving.

Other things I like about the Mazda 6 touring

It beeps to warn you of a car or person coming while backing up.
It runs on regular gas.
It gets great gas mileage.
It has great styling.
It handles great.
Huge trunk and the back seats fold down.

Things I don't like

The GPS.
The heated seats are lame, but I'm in southern CA.
I tend to hit the curb with tires and rims while parking. (never used to do that)

(BTW Mazda replace 2 wankel engines on my RX2 under warranty after they blew up from over reving)

New-to-me Mazda 6 has not disappointed
By Jason

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my 2014 Mazda 6 Touring (with tech package) one year ago. It had 17K miles and I have about 34K now. I chose the 6 over a 2012-2013 Maxima, 2012 Acura TL, and 2011/2012 Infiniti G37. While those other cars might give a little more in acceleration, the cost for premium gas and lower gas mileage was one main reason I chose the Mazda. I have been getting about 28mpg (40% hywy/60% city) and even though gas is pretty cheap now, I like that I can save a little by not paying for premium gas. I did drive all the other cars I was considering, and the only big difference was the acceleration from the G37. That car was wicked fast and tempting, but at my price point, the Mazda allowed me to get a newer car with way more miles left on the comprehensive and powertrain warranty. The G37 also had very little rear seat room--I couldn't even fit my feet under the front seat (when sitting in the back) because the motor for the power front seat leaves no room. The back seat of the Mazda 6 is better than any of the other options I considered. The Mazda will probably save me $ on the speeding tickets I would have gotten in a G37 as well. Ultimately, the Mazda was my practical choice. It doesn't have the power or prestige of the other cars I considered, but it handles really well, accelerates fast enough, has a great interior--feels like a luxury car to me--and has enough features to satisfy a driver coming from a 2006 Mazda three with no power features.

Other thoughts:
Like most say, the infotainment center is underwhelming and the Tom-Tom navigation is not user friendly.
The upgraded Bose sound system is not as good as what I would expect from Bose, so it is not worth paying a lot for. You could probably do better just upgrading the speakers of the base stereo.
Road noise is louder than luxury brand cars, but not a big deal for me.
The control knob by the armrest is awesome, but why they did not include a volume control there is beyond me. I think they may have added one on 2015s.
This is my second Mazda and I would definitely consider myself loyal to their brand now. I never had problems with my 2006 Mazda 3.
If you get a 6 with the bigger rims, tires are really expensive--like $800 for four after installation. I didn't see that coming and even though the 19" look nice, I would gladly trade down to the 17" rims.
I am 6'1" and the driver seat gives me good leg room while still leaving enough room behind me for my kids.

Car has been nothing but headaches
By AB789

2014 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Avoid buying this car. I bought a 2014 Mazda 6 with 35,000 miles. I had to take it back to the dealer four times within the first two months of having it. Twice it broke down on me and I had to get it towed. The transmission had to be replaced. The rear camera was not working. When I was driving on the highway a piece of protective plastic fell down and was shredded. Now the breaks are squealing. Avoid this car at all costs. Guess they don't make Mazdas like they used to! Used to have a 626 and it was great, earned my loyalty. My loyalty to Mazda is now completely gone. Go with Honda or Toyota.

Too tall!
By stush

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Good car. I'm tall so getting in an out of car was tricky.

Expensive to maintain
By Jennifer

2014 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

When my car was just a year old the air quit. Had to take it in three times before getting it repaired. MY BSM blind spot monitoring quit at around 18 months. $1300 to fix. This week I discovered that the finosh on my "premium rims" is peeling off. Very disappointed in the car. Maintaining the things that go wrong are expensive.