2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
By cbrianflynn on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
After test driving all of the competitors (Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai), I settled on a 2014 CX-5 Touring to replace a 2001 VW Jetta Wagon. I was tempted by the Sport model, but the larger engine in the Touring and GT is much peppier for passing. I've had the vehicle now for about 3 months and do not regret my decision. The performance is more than adequate, handling is pretty good and gas mileage has been better than my VW and more than acceptable. I drive long distances a couple of times a week and have enjoyed the cruise control. Overall, it's a solid and fun care to drive, with plenty of room for hauling kids, gear, etc. Perfect for a small family.
Favorite Features
I love the drive train. The engine loves to rev and the transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever driven. Handling is very good (though a bit heavy). The seats are very comfortable (took a trip of over 600 miles shortly after getting it and spent almost 12 hours in the seat one day with nary a problem). Cargo capacity is more than adequate. It is a fun car to drive! It's hard not to keep your foot out of the accelerator just to hear the engine rev! Love the cruise control, functionality, cargo space, and towing capacity (I added a trailer hitch for bikes and small trailer).
Suggested Improvements
There is no arm rest for the driver and the door rest is too far away from the steering wheel for me to get a good rest position. On long drives this is a pain. The storage pocket on the doors is not very useful; made for one water bottle and doesn't do a good job at that; could use more storage space for small items. Would like them to decouple some of the extras. I wanted the premium sound system, but not the moonroof - Can't do that. The base sound system is okay, but not outstanding. Would also like the adaptive headlights, but can't get them without the electronics package. Would like a tie down hook on the front for securing items on the roof rack (like a canoe).