2002 Lexus LS 430 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2002 LS 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (65 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

I love this car
By mchristiansen

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I must admit, I've only owned it for 5 days, but I'm so excited about it. We owned a '96 Cadillac Deville, which we traded in when we bought the Lexus. It was a great old car....comfortable, roomy, and built like a tank. Even though I'm nearing being 'an old lady', I wanted something more up to date...including some more recent technology that wasn't available in the cadillac.

Favorite Features

Even though the Lexus we purchased was not the 'ultra' model, it did still have Navigation and Marc Levinson audio. Next week, I am having bluetooth connectivity installed so I can use my phone and my iPod hands-free. This car had only 85 k on it, which is pretty darned low mileage for a 12 year old car. I love the extremely quiet ride, the moon roof, the sound system, the center console and the amazingly comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Someone else mentioned this and I agree...it's rather annoying having all the doors automatically lock after getting out of the drivers side. I suppose I'll figure all that out and will get used to it. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

'02 Lexus LS430 Ultra
By jeffdinohio

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a '02 Lexus LS430 with the Ultra package. This vehicle replaced a LS400 with well over 250,000 miles. You cannot compare the bullet-proof reliability of Lexus vs. the other so-called luxury brands. This particular Lexus is giving me 25+ mpg on the highway along with the best ride imaginable. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing out of a vehicle that is over 12 years old! Doesn't use a drop of oil and when you do change the oil it looks like it is still brand new. The Ultra package gives extra refinement especially to the rear seat passengers. The reclining, massaging seats are extraordinary for a journey of over a few hours. Definitely a 5 star vehicle and one I recommend.

Favorite Features

heated/cooled seats rear passenger audio controls rear reclining and massaging seats rock solid feel going down the road incredible gas mileage for a vehicle this size ease of mind knowing you will always arrive at your destination without any hitches reliable vehicle as the day is long with proper maintenance will last a lifetime

Suggested Improvements

none that I can think of

Love this car!
By Norge

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased as a CPO with 43,000 on the clock. Looked high and low for a black on black and finally found one. I have put 60,000 miles on the car (it has 104,000 now) and love it every time I get in it. Drives great, handles well and brakes hard and solid. Very smooth ride and still beautiful! Only issue was one of the mirrors would not fold all the way. Dealer replaced both under warranty with 2006 mirrors and promised they will outlast the car. Trunk struts went out too and were also replaced. Only issue is with the center arm rest. All the padding is gone. No idea but it is flat. Everything else works like new! Ac is ice cold and the heated seats could cook eggs.

Favorite Features

acceleration and leg room

Suggested Improvements

keyless starting and bluetooth which came out later but I heard the new cars are not as reliable as the old like mine so I will do without.

One of the Great Ones
By Doc

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for 2 years. I've put 20k on it, and the only trouble has been the battery. I've owned 6 s class Mercedes, a 5 series B'mer, 2q45, a qx4 and loads of caddy's and lincolns. They all have their strong points. This is my 2nd Lexus, and it has been trouble free. Time for another Lexus.

Favorite Features

Everything, Quick for the size, and gas mileage is good for the size and speed.

Suggested Improvements

All wooden shift nob.

Great Car
By Doc T

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car used 64k, it has been one of the better cars I've owned. I have had all the big ones except Jag. This is up there with the Benz's and Bimmers, I have only replaced the battery and tires but it has been very dependable. Gets 25mpg on hiway. Nice sound system. One Sunday I drove 12 hours from Jersey to Detroit sleeping for about 2 hours in the car, attended a service and turned around and drove 12 hours back. 60 miles from home before I had to stop and sleep again.

Favorite Features

Smooth very powerful and fast.

Suggested Improvements

None

Smooth
By Tony

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first used Lexus I ever purchased. I have been strictly a Mercedes guy up until now and didn't know quite what to expect. This 2002 LS430 is the most quiet, smooth riding car I have ever been in, far surpassing my many Mercedes and the few Rolls and Bentleys I have been in. It is, without a doubt, the finest car ever made.

Fantastic car!
By BeemerBill13

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 2002 LS430 with 78,000 miles on it in Feb. 2008. I sold my 1997 LS400 for this and what a difference! You wouldn't know this car from new, no dings, dents, or scratches! The previous owner serviced it with regularity. The car has the Ultra Luxury package so it has every option offered. I drive mostly highway miles and am impressed with getting 25+ (up to 27.5 already) driving it! A good solid ride. I am very pleased with it after 8 months of ownership and 9,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The upgraded leather package offers nice comfortable supple seating. The factory tinted (laminated) glass is great! The grey wood trim is beautiful. Additionally, the air conditioned seats are very nice. Looks awesome with crome wheels. Very quiet and enjoyable to drive on long trips

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the Laser Guided speed control, it is really un-necessary and can not be used on multi-lane expressways where curves are involved. The body style is a little plain. To change oil, you have to drop the front belly pan to get to the filter and drain plug, a real pain, like 14 bolts.

Superb car
By Andrej Skerjanec

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought it with 28K on the odometer. Now I have 130K. Car has been virtually trouble free. I do regular oil changes (every 5K) and standard maintenance as per the manual. I recently changed from 93 octane fuel to 89 and I'm now getting between 24-25 mpg in mixed driving and 27 mpg on the highway at an avg. speed of 80 mph. I noticed a slight improvement in fuel economy with no change in performance. I had no problems with a car so far, not a single minor thing went bad. This car has been over designed and it shows; you feel like it'll go forever. I moved to Lexus from Audi, which was a great car to drive as well, but it started falling apart after 35K. I use my Lexus as a daily commuter.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, Mark Levinson audio is great. The car has excellent acceleration-great when merging into a traffic. Overall, just the best combination of comfort, luxury and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of leather may not be the best. I've noticed wear on the steering wheel. Compared to other potential problems, this is a minor thing.

Love Life With Her
By Gimpyeti

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car is absoluting amazing. Every aspect is flattering in numerous ways. I currently own a Cadillac STS, CTS, and this car. This Lexus owns each in its own manner. The power steering is just soo fun to use along with the V8 engine. On first drive you'll be hooked.

Favorite Features

Steering, acceleration, comfort, cockpit noise (NONE)

Suggested Improvements

Honestly none.. If anything a sharper look with the cars edges..

WOW!!
By HIGHAUDIO

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I wanted the best big luxury vehicle for the money. It's a sleeper. Amazingly quiet. I've had people tell me they can't even hear the engine when the car is on. At 100+ mph, the LS 430 commands the road. If I had to buy another car, then I'd get another LS 430 in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Touch screen. Nav. Mark Levinson audio. Rear shade.

Suggested Improvements

None