2001 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Review: Great luxury, Expensive parts!

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan - Consumer Review

Great luxury, Expensive parts!
By Roger on

2001 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car used at auction when it had 65K miles. I now have 140K on it and it runs great. It is wonderfully luxurious, has a powerful engine, and very few things go wrong. But when they do, very few if any companies other than Lexus make parts (too few LS430's to make it worthwhile to them), and Lexus takes merciless advantage of their monopoly. Only Lexus sold the two catalytic converters I needed (budget about $1500 installed each), a pipe for the exhaust is $1200 uninstalled (mechanic told me it's $200 for other cars), even an extra key will set you back $200-$300!

Luxury, lack of road noise, reliability.

Not ripping off customers on parts. A premium is understandable, but just because I have a used Lexus doesn't mean I'm a millionaire, or don't mind being so obviously ripped off!
By lexusls430
on 05/26/12 10:18 AM (PDT)

Good point, although I disagree that its a ripoff. People buying this car should realize that the car is a $70,000.00 car no matter what you pay for it used. Its parts are very high quality and as the car ages, the fewer and fewer parts are made which are all factors of price. Its going to be expensive to maintain when it does need something. If not prepared for this, you may want to look at a Toyota. FYI- a spare aftermarket key is $50.00.