1996 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )
Reliability is out of this world
By adam2009m on 12/06/13 11:12 AM (PST)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Everyone thought I was stupid when I decided to drive this car from Chicago to Miami when it had 328K miles on it. I had 0 incidents during my round trip of over 3500 miles. Enough said, the best car ever built in my opinion.. I have more confidence in this car than driving a brand new car from any manufacturer. I change my oil every 5000 miles and it has a minor oil leak which I decided isn't worth fixing. I just top it off and it has been like that for couple years now. I bought this car used with 254k for 1700. I have already put 100k on it lol. I definitely got my money's worth.

My daughter loved this car!!
By slooper3 on 01/19/13 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

We bought this car from a auction for my daughter and it has been a wonderful car for her. She loves this car and I told her recently to change the oil in it and she took it to get changed. It started to run bad ever since. Since we changed the oil more problems have developed. Now it is sitting in the yard :( Wonderful car!!

modifications ruin the car :/
By treek336 on 01/05/13 08:02 AM (PST)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

i got the car 2 years ago, with no modifications on, so i start by the normal , stereo, speakers, but this last year i ruined the car, i install a amp 2 subs nd the consequences the battery is dead everytime i start it up, next i heated the springs to lower the car, yes the car is lower nd looks cool, but the problem is is unconformable to ride on, next on a drag race something happend to the engine, nd now the check engine light is on all the time, the car smokes from the exhaust a lot !

OMG
By troy124 on 06/28/11 21:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and it now has about 130,000 miles and runs like a champ. I'm pretty rough on cars/ Love to go fast/ and this car is awesome. Great on gas drives smooth and we never have any problem's with it. The car is worth about 4 to 5 thousand and in saying that I don't think I would find a car like this good for the same price. I'm shocked at how well it run seeing it is a 96 and has over 100,000 miles on it but I must say this car is super great, don't think we are getting rid of it until the wheels fall off. I would take this 96 lexus over these new 2010 american cars anyday.

The best car i ever had
By hugo on 09/06/10 18:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I got it from a good friend of my, at first I was worry but now I have had this car for at least 3 years and the only thing I have ever done is oil change and nothing else this car is the best car ever. The best purchase ever.

Most Trouble Free Car
By Jeff on 06/12/10 06:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Lexus es300 in 1995, used, with 130,000 well maintained miles. I drove all over the southeastern us and put another 128,000 miles on the car. 258,000 miles and still going strong. Just replaced transmission seal but the $550.00 is less then a new car and there's no depreciation at this point. Normal maintenance, Mobil 1 synthetic ( 8000 mile per change) and being alert to changing wear items makes a well built car very dependable. 1mz-fe 6 cylinder engine is powerful and dependable.

Good car to hold on to
By George on 05/01/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Purchased it in 1999, off a 3 year lease and 36K miles. Car runs well and accelerates well at high speeds. Body design has withstood the test of time. However, I did add a new transmission in 2004. Leather seat showing wear and tear. I would buy a new one.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Johnboy on 02/15/10 22:56 PM (PST)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '96 ES as it was coming off a 3-year lease (with 35k miles on it) in early '99... 11 years and 70,000 miles later, it still purrs like the well-oiled machine it was intended to be. I've always used premium unleaded gas in the car, and change the oil every 4,000 miles or so -- both of which are critical in extending the engine's life. Except for replacement of an alternator and an antenna motor, regularly scheduled maintenance is the only other work that's been performed. In my 45 years of driving American, European and Japanese cars, nothing matches the satisfaction of owning a Lexus. This baby is only worth about $5,000 now, but what could replace it for that price? Nothing.

love lexus cars
By lydiva on 08/04/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I've had my car for such a long time and i jst cant say how reliable this car has been for me. I've thought of giving it up but the only way i will is to get another used lexus. these cars are so well built. once u have one u cant go back to anything smaller also. my cd player don't work but i plug in my ipod and I'm good to go. i plan to get a used rx330 in the future once this dies. I've got 142k miles and never have to do much to it just routine things. I'm a single mom and need a good car and this worked well for years for me.

The BEST car ever?
By olan022 on 11/10/07 20:18 PM (PST)

1996 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought my black '96 ES 300 with 21000 miles on it in '99. It's nearly '08 and I have 94,000 miles on it with virtually no maintenance besides oil, batteries and tires. I can't say enough about how much I love this car. I do have a valve leak problem now that seem to be very common with this car and was thinking of selling it until I read the forums for the respective cars I was thinking of buying (SAAB, Audi, Mercedes/Benz) and finally reading about how many fellow ES 300 owners feel the same way I do about my car. Needless to say, I have a renewed loyalty to my car and now feel happy to get the oil problem fixed and drive this a bit longer just to see if it ever dies on me. It might not.