2001 Kia Optima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Sort Reviews by

2001 Kia Optima SE V6
By Erika

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The worst part about buying from a used car lot: you don't know what you're going to get. I did just that. Bought it w/94K later finding out the previous owner did not do ANY maintenance to this car. Little "fixes" add up very quickly. Kia service dept. knows what they're talking about. My regular mechanic still can't figure out a nasty chugging/"hiccup" the car does in reverse and idling which has been going on about 6 months now. They cleaned out the idle system, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I'll have to take it back to Kia to have it checked out. Also has a passenger side-impact airbag problem - $1600 to fix. I'll just go without the airbags... it's not worth it.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, tiptronic auto-manual, attractive design that receives much attention, woodgrain interior, price. Overall, nice, inexpensive vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Thicker paint, resale value, motors on windows don't seem strong. There might as well not be any dome light, because it's ridiculous how much space it covers. ABS should be standard! Seals need some re-engineering - it fogs up every summer morning - the only way to defog it is to use the heat.

Can't complain
By Erika S.

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Optima for a little over 10 months. There have been a few more little problems than expected, but I just can't part with it! I ran a risk buying it used and paid for it. Maintenance things such as brakes, tune-up, belts, filters, electrical etc. were never replaced. I am currently experiencing a problem with the passenger side-curtain airbag. $1400 replacement probably due to the car possibly having been in an accident at one point. I love this car to death, though. Looks and drives like a true luxury vehicle. I am a college student and it was an amazingly affordable vehicle that attracts a lot of attention at school. 102,700 miles and still running like new!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, woodgrain trim, auto-tiptronic transmission, V6 engine, side-curtain airbags, remote start/keyless entry, smooth ride, sunroof/moonroof combo, foot room, smooth ride, comfort, 5 headrests, flip-down cupholder/armrest in back. Fog lamps are a savior!

Suggested Improvements

Just minor, picky details: Thin paint, not good on a black car. Also, Kia needs to realize this is considered a LUXURY vehicle... ABS should come standard! Fuel economy could be better, too. Heated leather should have been optional.

Kia is a deathtrap.
By Rebecca McCoy

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my optima for 1 1/2 years and ultimately hate it. I am trying to get kia to take it back as a lemon, but of course they don't want to. there have been 5 recalls to date on this model, and one of those recalls almost caused the loss of life to myself and my 5 year old son on the freeway, as the vehicle failed to operated(ie:the crankshaft positioning sensor recall). i am currently experiencing the second failure of this particular recall. I would have been better off to spend the extra money to buy a honda or toyota. Even though this car has the warrenty, you will use it often. If you love your family, buy a different car.

Suggested Improvements

Take it off the market.

Excellent
By PDBurns

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car is great to drive, very resoponsive gets up to Hwy speed very quickly. Very little problems and what there was was taken care of right away. I would recomend this car to anyone.

Suggested Improvements

Yhe only thing I did not like was the lack of an interor light in the rear seat area

Over 2 years and still going strong
By kiaoptimadriver

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Besides the horrible re-sale and trade- in value, this has been a great car. We have yet to have any real problems out of this car.

Favorite Features

Options vs. price

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, quieter cabin, more horsepower at lower rpms.

Former Sales Person
By salesperson&owner

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

OK Who would have thought during the demo drive, that the interior dome light was positioned too far forward to service the rear seats, much less the rear floors. Even basic-bare-bones- buckets for automobiles, sold in America, ironically have big-bold- bright-bulb-ed interior dome lamps better served as light houses on the rocky shores of New England with doors closed. Understandably the 2001 Optima engineers could not have foreseen how impossible it would be, to locate any item on the rear floors or rear seats in our Optimas after dark. Why? Because their drawing boards were well lit during the design phase of the Optima’s interior. For crying out loud!

Favorite Features

Simulated Wood grain.

Suggested Improvements

Match the engine reliability with engine noises that sound like a reliable engine.

Minor incov. make BIG PROBLEMS
By pJ

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had to take in my car several times for electrical issues, moldings etc. Also received letter from Kia a year later stating the vehicle did not have a 70 hp engine as intially advertised when the vehicle was bought. The letter stated it had a 65 hp engine. Has depreciated and can not compare to similar models in its class do to HP and other factors. Engine ok...slow on start for V6. Will not buy again.

Favorite Features

sports shifter

Suggested Improvements

better interior/exterior. Wish they would advertise product correctly! Wish it would hold value better

Great car for the money
By sal

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had this car a short time, but I am very happy with it. I trade my Audi in on the Optima, and have been surprised by how nice the Kia handles. The Optima has a nice ride, and good design.

Favorite Features

The warrenty, the price, and the ride. They are all excellent

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers for the audio system.

Great car for the money
By Sal

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Favorite Features

The warrenty, the price, and the ride. They are all excellent

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers for the audio system.

Excellent Service department
By Redman

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Yes it has thin paint, but all of the car makers have thin paint these days. It had air leaks at the windows and the engine light came on because of the gas cap not being tight, but the Kia service department fix them and even gave me a loaner car when I needed one. If you want to stay between the Beamers and the MB's going from Las Vagas to LA this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Confort, Sound system, Ride and speed

Suggested Improvements

Body roll on sharp corners, it has a little lag when you step on the gas hard