2001 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
2001 Kia Optima SE V6
By Erika on 07/10/07 19:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The worst part about buying from a used car lot: you don't know what you're going to get. I did just that. Bought it w/94K later finding out the previous owner did not do ANY maintenance to this car. Little "fixes" add up very quickly. Kia service dept. knows what they're talking about. My regular mechanic still can't figure out a nasty chugging/"hiccup" the car does in reverse and idling which has been going on about 6 months now. They cleaned out the idle system, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I'll have to take it back to Kia to have it checked out. Also has a passenger side-impact airbag problem - $1600 to fix. I'll just go without the airbags... it's not worth it.

Can't complain
By Erika S. on 04/08/07 22:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Optima for a little over 10 months. There have been a few more little problems than expected, but I just can't part with it! I ran a risk buying it used and paid for it. Maintenance things such as brakes, tune-up, belts, filters, electrical etc. were never replaced. I am currently experiencing a problem with the passenger side-curtain airbag. $1400 replacement probably due to the car possibly having been in an accident at one point. I love this car to death, though. Looks and drives like a true luxury vehicle. I am a college student and it was an amazingly affordable vehicle that attracts a lot of attention at school. 102,700 miles and still running like new!

Kia is a deathtrap.
By Rebecca McCoy on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my optima for 1 1/2 years and ultimately hate it. I am trying to get kia to take it back as a lemon, but of course they don't want to. there have been 5 recalls to date on this model, and one of those recalls almost caused the loss of life to myself and my 5 year old son on the freeway, as the vehicle failed to operated(ie:the crankshaft positioning sensor recall). i am currently experiencing the second failure of this particular recall. I would have been better off to spend the extra money to buy a honda or toyota. Even though this car has the warrenty, you will use it often. If you love your family, buy a different car.

Excellent
By PDBurns on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car is great to drive, very resoponsive gets up to Hwy speed very quickly. Very little problems and what there was was taken care of right away. I would recomend this car to anyone.

Over 2 years and still going strong
By kiaoptimadriver on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Besides the horrible re-sale and trade- in value, this has been a great car. We have yet to have any real problems out of this car.

Former Sales Person
By salesperson&owner on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

OK Who would have thought during the demo drive, that the interior dome light was positioned too far forward to service the rear seats, much less the rear floors. Even basic-bare-bones- buckets for automobiles, sold in America, ironically have big-bold- bright-bulb-ed interior dome lamps better served as light houses on the rocky shores of New England with doors closed. Understandably the 2001 Optima engineers could not have foreseen how impossible it would be, to locate any item on the rear floors or rear seats in our Optimas after dark. Why? Because their drawing boards were well lit during the design phase of the Optima’s interior. For crying out loud!

Minor incov. make BIG PROBLEMS
By pJ on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had to take in my car several times for electrical issues, moldings etc. Also received letter from Kia a year later stating the vehicle did not have a 70 hp engine as intially advertised when the vehicle was bought. The letter stated it had a 65 hp engine. Has depreciated and can not compare to similar models in its class do to HP and other factors. Engine ok...slow on start for V6. Will not buy again.

Great car for the money
By sal on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had this car a short time, but I am very happy with it. I trade my Audi in on the Optima, and have been surprised by how nice the Kia handles. The Optima has a nice ride, and good design.

Great car for the money
By Sal on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Excellent Service department
By Redman on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Yes it has thin paint, but all of the car makers have thin paint these days. It had air leaks at the windows and the engine light came on because of the gas cap not being tight, but the Kia service department fix them and even gave me a loaner car when I needed one. If you want to stay between the Beamers and the MB's going from Las Vagas to LA this is the car for you.