Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

310,000kms
By dsantin

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Still going strong 310,000 kms. Live in heavy snow belt, rusty Ontario- rural. 4x4 excellent-- never stuck- plenty of confidence in snow and mud. Have used in mud, lagoons, ditches, snowy farmer fields, towing, fording water-- works well. Unexpected good manners and ride on highway. MPG fair. Roomy versatile interior. Starts/ runs very well-- NO RUST? Did not get skyroof-- you guys that got it and have problems- shame- This was a first year North American redesign-- ant1icipate problems with gimmicks. Some little things-- blower gone at 300,000- so what! Rear liftgate hinge thing- broke but found replacement at junkers for $400. Differential rear troubles after 180k

Favorite Features

Both off road and highway manners. Smooth engine. Good looks. Rust free- very unusual here! Great in deep snow. Towing, Large storage area. High driver position. Rescued a few drivers in snow banks. Fog lites.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials, better heater / defroster. The differential problems--- a macho Jeep-- come on Chrysler!!

The worst vehicle I have ever seen, bar none.
By sal42

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it new in 2008 and it was the worse mistake my family ever made on cars, EVER. On the test drive the dashboard was literally coming out and you could see the wires and tubing under the dash. I pleaded with my father to not buy it, yet he was swayed by the exterior styling. During 3 years of horror (aka vehicle ownership), 3 of the window motors broke leaving the windows stuck in place, the plastics/materials are horrendous and the dashboard popped out twice. Besides that the seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in, like sitting on concrete!!!!! The car is crampt, and the MPG figures are A LIE!!! The car barely got 10 MPG in the city, and maybe 16 or so freeway.

Favorite Features

Although it was by far and away a total junk and a perfect example of why Chrysler went bankrupt, it actually could turn on a dime. Don't ask me why the turning radius was so good and nothing else, but it could make U-turns like nothing!

Suggested Improvements

They should have never built this car, it really is that poorly designed and built. It really shows you why Chrysler went bankrupt. When you see cars this bad you feel like crying. If parts pop out on the test drive on a brand new car, you know it's bad. MPG figures given are a lie, the real MPG for the 3.7L 2WD is about 10 city/16 freeway, and that is no exaggeration. The car is a GAS HOG!!!!! And it's not a very big vehicle either, just goes to show you how Chrysler can't design an efficient and powerful engine if their lives depended on it. In general all Chrysler engines from that era were gas hogs and underperformed for their displacement. Dismal engineering.

It's a fine vehicle except for one thing...
By herc

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep now has 66,000 miles on it and it has been a very solid vehicle. It has also been stone cold reliable. The only reason I havenít rated it 5 stars across the board is because while I like the design of the interior, the typical Daimler mandated cost cutting cheap plastic materials are everywhere. Also, I think some of the exterior design couldíve been better. Iím not a fan of the giant squarish looking plastic covers over the headlights. Give me the design Bantam/Willys started with..so that means round headlights please. Other than the interior plastic and some exterior design issues I couldnít be happier with my Liberty.

Favorite Features

Visibility, decent handling, 20+ MPG hwy, towing, and it offers the best of a Jeep without being brutal on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials. Stop the Fiat-meisters from ruining the Liberty with the next gen Hyundai/Ford Escape look alike.

Am I the only one?? 2008 Liberty Sport 4x4
By jrramzak

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport brand new. As my first big purchase as an adult all on my own, I could not have been more excited about this vehicle. However, in the 4 years I have owned it, I have realized that this was the worst mistake of my life. At first, it was the four wheel drive that took a crap, and having never had a chance to use the four wheel drive yet, i was surprised. Then came the Sky Slider leak, and the interior light leak, followed by all four tires dry rotting out causing me to blow a tire while driving. Yet the tires still had at minimum 40% tread left. Then heater core died followed by the blower motor, then we had to replace a computer chip that was causing my

Favorite Features

transmission to lock up and not shift while driving. Then came the brake issues and now it's the radiator. I don't know what else I will have left to replace/fix on this car. It's has all been out of pocket costs, minus the chip. I keep up to date on maintenance and don't quite understand what's wrong with this vehicle. I'm assuming I have really bad luck and got a lemon. But, I'm afraid to drive this car anymore because I don't know what else will break. Has anyone else been through this?

I love my Jeep but there are a few character flaws
By drivenlp

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I actually built my Liberty up with a 3 inch lift kit, skid plates etc. and I believe it improved the exterior stance of the vehicle. Jeeps can get through anything (with the right tires, I highly recommend the BFGoodrich All Terrains) The interior is comfortable and there is A LOT of neat storage spaces, fold flat seats including the passenger seat. I have not had one mechanical problem. Very tight turning radius. What I dont like: I bought the skyslider and it is awesome for going to the beach etc, but it leaks water into my headliner which is now stained and starting to smell. Also this causes quite a bit of wind noise. I believe they fixed in 2009 a bit.

Favorite Features

-Well thought out interior storage spaces. -4 wheel drive is unparalleled. -tight turning radius makes off roading and parking lot maneuvering a breeze!

Suggested Improvements

Sky Slider roof was rushed to market. I love the feature but practicality for everyday does not work. I have had several people look at it, as well as numerous tests on it, and no one can tell where it is leaking into my headliner from. My entire headliner is now water-stained and if left in the sun it begins to smell musty. Wind noise at 70+ gets quite loud and whistles. (again the skyslider).