8 speed trans
By loc1183 on
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)
Well I never thought I would have to write a review. After working for Chrysler for 42 years and driven nothing but Chrysler producst I'm about to change. I purchased a 2014 Jeep Overland and have had to return it to the shop several times for transmission problems. Trans is a 8 speed and it really sucks. Jerks forward to approx. 2800 -3000 rpm. when starting out. When merging into traffic no response when accelerator is pressed then jumps into passing gear. Thought I was back in the sixties again. Dealership tells me that it is the characteristic of that vehicle. Well when you buy a $50000.00 vehicle you kind of expect everything to be right. Ok I think I'll try a Ford.
By lljpence
on 06/23/14 13:17 PM (PDT)

I have experienced the same problem. I was told it was a software issue and while it it much better, on occasion it still reacts slowly when accelerating. The nav system has been a nightmare with updates, floating arrows and incorrect maps. I have had to have the radio completely removed and replaced. I am going to trade it in on something not Jeep.

By skrichte
on 07/14/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

I have also been experiencing the same problem. Have had it in the shop a handful of times now. I actually had to let one of the Tech's take my vehicle for a couple nights b/c they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. Issue was well noticed by the Tech, and they did some reprogramming of the ECU. Worked fine for a bit, now its lunging as everyone is describing in the reviews. I thought friends were joking about Dodge tranny issues -- guess not. Moreover, we have a horrid stench that comes from the engine bay, through the vents. Again, they couldn't not find the issue. Still smells horrible to this day... Finally, brought it in for its first oil change and the Tech indicated the power steering fluid was low. He said "that seems to happen on this SUV for whatever reason." Really, Dodge/Jeep??? You can't get the power steering right either? Wow. When we have enough equity in this leased vehicle(after about a year), we will trade it in for something which doesn't lunge, smell, or burn power steering fluid.

By scaredofmyjeep
on 08/21/14 13:33 PM (PDT)

same problem here. passengers think I don't know how to drive. Now it is popping out of gear into neutral and won't go back in. This car is dangerous.!!!Same problem with nav system.

By janlaw
on 09/02/14 02:27 AM (PDT)

I have never had any of these issues with my car. Everything seems to be fine. I have a 2014 Summit and it has 20,000 mi on it and I haven't had to do anything but oil changes to it. I really have enjoyed it. I am sorry that you have had these things going wrong with yours. We took it on a 2200 mile trip this summer and it was a pleasure to travel in it. The nav worked great no transmission trouble. We ave between 24 to 25 mpg some times it was at 26 mpg. Best car trip we have ever had.

By katielc
on 10/20/14 11:07 AM (PDT)

I am having the exact same problem with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Every time I drive it at slow speeds, it slams from second gear down to first when I let off the gas. When I am driving at higher speeds it randomly up and down shifts. I thought the transmission seemed sluggish and mistimed from the get go, then the car actually stalled out one month after I purchased it. The check engine light came on and I took it to the dealership. They told me it was a "transmission flash" and that a software update would solve the problem. It didn't and when I called back, they told me that the problem was that I am a city driver. I refused to believe that and have since test driven the same vehicle at different dealerships and discovered that this problem did not exist in the two other Overland V-6s I test drove. I am planning to take it back in again this week-- assuming I can get an appointment with the service dept-- a whole other issue. I am saddened that after driving a Japanese car for 14 years, my first experience with an American one has been such an expensive disappointment. (Mine cost $60,000 with taxes!)