Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Never Again
By Jim

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep to downsize from a Chevy Suburban, not to go lower quality. Brake rotors replace within 6 months. Differentials are LOUD all the time. Heating and Air selector sometimes switches to different zones, sometimes doesn't. Three water pump replacements in 2 years. Warning light came on yesterday "Low Coolant" - so this is never going to end. The transmission hesitates from 2nd to 3rd gear, I don't even want to talk about the trouble of going to 4WD and back. I have to make sure I have a clear area before switching 4WD/2WD. However, I like the looks, I love the interior driving position and center console. The engine is still strong and torquey.

Favorite Features

Driving feel - almost like a sports car. Sitting position with the console around feels powerful and secure. Straight 6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes. Transmission. 4WD shift. Electric Windows. My seat broke now I teeter as I go around a corner. Leather seats with no heat? Water pump / cooling system. Differential gear coatings. Speakers not made of paper. Brakes again. Transmission again. Cooling system again. No bailout till fx

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
By AJ

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 4X4 Jeep in 2005 with 55,000 miles. Loved it when I bought it but started having problems about 6 months later. Had to replace output speed sensor, water pump,security sensor, door lock actuators, door checks, cvt boots, radiator sensor all under 75,000 miles. Gas mileage is terrible for a 6 cylinder averaging about 13 mpg. AC is ice cold and heat works very well and quick. Loved the outside temperature gauge with compass, average mpg, and fuel range. Very comfortable and roomy and fun to drive. Just sold it with 85,000 miles. Good fun vehicle if you have a warranty and don't have to worry about these problems.

Favorite Features

4X4. Style. Comfort. Roomy. Dashboard layout. Outside temperature gauge with compass. Cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. improved gas mileage. Hybrid.

Good styling poor reliability
By BCK9900

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Bad: AC problems common (some easily fixed for DIY) Brake system very poor design (cause rotors to be replaced more often) Radio system starts out as a plus until you crank it than it becomes a negative because there is no band pass thus you blow the tweeters Window motors go out quite frequently (4 sets on mine now) Brake lights have a fault (have you not noticed this on other jeeps on the road yet) Not easily fixed or tracked down Strut system sucks The Good: It's paid off

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

None

Going on 9 years and still kicking
By RAM

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I brought my Jeep with 111 miles. In the beginning I had some break issues and some repairs where I found out later the dealership was ripping me off. I did a lot of travel with this jeep and I received I thought excellent mileage. I've been able to travel a max of 4.5 hrs on one tank of gas and I like to speed. AC is still kicking, but driver seat needs to be reupholstered. Other than that not a bad deal considering I've been able to keep it this long and its still pretty when cleaned.

Favorite Features

looks, interior design

Suggested Improvements

brakes, belt, headlights go bad after 3 years not sure what's up with that. border on Laredo start to fade

Stay Away
By Dean

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this grand Cherokee back in 1999. It turned out to be the most unreliable car I had. The dealer took it back and I will never get a dodge/Jeep again. I think the main issue was with the new 4wd system they introduced that year. It cause many drivetrain issues. Look at all the recalls for this vehicle. My Jeep had all those issues.