1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
mikeark
By mikeark on 12/22/05 14:05 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1999, now have 90000 miles. Still love the looks and power of the 4.7 liter 8 w/ quadtrac. Some problems with brake rotors in front ... nothing serious. Mileage not real good, 15/19, but this is a heavy 4wd vehicle. The heater in the drivers seat has not worked in years and the hood will not stay up. I am concerned about the future after reading these reviews ... am looking at a Mazda3 5 door.

'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
By Chris on 10/17/05 19:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I haven't had this car too long, but long enough to "rate it." It's a great SUV, comfortable, not too bad on gas but right now it's in the shop for the crankshaft sensor, a part recalled in 2004 and the dealership isn't honoring it. I haven't had any real problems other than a speed sensor about two months ago when I first bought it. My sunroof tends to leak and it is really annoying. Other than that I love my Jeep and I wouldn't choose anything else. I also have a noise in the front left tire area, I'm thinking maybe the control arm or a ball joint, but it's expected, it has 86,000 miles on it and I only paid $8,500 for it. It's a Limited, fully loaded with EVERY option and accessory.

Getting a bad rap
By Jack Nicely on 09/27/05 19:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV does everything I expect from it. I don't get stuck when ever I feel like going over the curb and off the beaten path. It is an excellent car for my wife to lug the groceries or carry her Avon products. It is a comfortable ride for longer trips, 6-8 hours, and plenty of packing space. Pulls my small trailer just fine. Brakes and steering work fine, the ride is comfortable. It still feels new after 70,000+ miles. Interior gadgets are easy, such as the seat maneuvering or seat belts. My gas mileage isn't bad for a 6 cylinder, about 26 mpg. Maintenance has been minimal. It is a pleasure to take out and drive, plenty of pick up speed. The only problem we have is with the dealership maintenance

Jeep - it's the snow
By Intrepid man on 09/21/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The best ride in snow on the market. Long drives are a joy, no fatigue.

Could be worse...
By Jolly James on 09/08/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

My wife and I have owned four other Jeeps prior to this one, all of which we were very pleased with. We bought this one and also bought the extended warranty. We have many mechanical problems with this one that we didn't have with the others including new transmission, fuel pump & regulator, axle bearings, taillight assemblies shorting out, warped rotors, calipers that stick, and wind noise. Fortunately, everything has been covered under the warranty. Overall, it has a rock-solid motor, good styling & good value. I am not unhappy with the car, but I would be if we didn't have the warranty. Our warranty runs out in two more years, and we will probably sell it just before that.

Mine's been very good
By Like MY Jeep on 08/24/05 15:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Wow, I can't believe how lucky I've been. My Grand Cherokee Ltd has been great with only the brake issue ever a problem. I've been through 2 sets of rotors and pads in 4 years. I drive it fast and hard all the time and love the way it handles except for the side to side rocking over bumps which takes some getting used to. I have the 6 cylinder and AWD (not Quadra that came with the V8's) and my mpg seems to hover around 16-17 except in really cold weather when it drops to 14. Tows my 20' boat with ease. Upright comfy seating, leather is high quality, midsized (think station wagon). I think it's better looking (the '99 version) than the latest model. I liked my '93 Grand Cherokee Limited too. Guess I knew what I was buying.

Love My Jeep
By D. Stokes on 08/16/05 21:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This SUV rides so comfortably and we always get compliments on it. Very few issues. The computerized metrics/displays are really helpful and advanced.

JEEP = JUNK JUNK JUNK
By Bill on 08/07/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I put very limited mileage on this vehicle annually, and it is by far the worst quality vehicle I have ever owned. I have put new brakes and rotors on this vehicle TWICE, a front drive shaft, rear wiper motor, CV boots on the front TWICE, front radiator fan TWICE, rear CV boots, and a few other little things not worth mentioning, but you get the idea. Jeep equals junk, and that's the bottom line. I will never own another Daimler-Chrysler product again, and neither will my family or friends. Not to mention the service at the dealership left something to be desired.

Not a Jeep fan!
By carolina girl on 07/17/05 23:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased my Jeep new in 1999 with 50 miles. I now have 133,000 miles. I had a new transmission replaced the first month i owned it in 1999. I have also replaced the brakes front and back numerous times (recalled in 1999) including front calipers this year. I have fixed the rear suspension differential twice. The water pump in 2004. My key doesn't open the driver door and hasn't in 4 years so I have to use the keyless remote. The drivers side seat is broken. In spite of all the money and repairs made my Jeep still rides just like it's brand new. I have kept it serviced well over the years but I just don't think this vehicle is made to last. This will be my last Chrysler Jeep vehicle.

Jeep
By planekeeper1 on 06/19/05 14:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the '99 model after testing it Carmax. So far we have had 2 power window motors replaced, the water pump, the door lock system failed, 2 speakers and the brakes twice. I can't keep front brakes on this thing. The good news is that we bought the extended warranty ( the mechanics have no clue what they are doing by the way). On the bright side, it is good for long trips and has enough room for my family of 4 and all our stuff. The four wheel drive works well also. As soon as we can afford it, I am trading it for a Ford F150 pickup.