Used 2009 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Most Helpful|
Look elsewhere
By diggyp

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Drove this car for one week during west coast trip. Cannot recall that a car that was so unenjoyable to drive. First , the acceleration of the base V6 engine is very poor. Merges on the crowded California highways are just downright scary with a car that accelerates like an overloaded tractor trailer. 200 horsepower is inadequate for such a big SUV. Second, the car was not designed with visibility in mind. Without passengers, there are some large blind spots on both sides that make lane changes a harrowing experience. With passengers, you can forget about even being able to check if there are oncoming cars when you are looking to change lanes.

Favorite Features

There are some positives: Backup sensors; Third row seating

Suggested Improvements

Improve visibility; Better engine / acceleration

It can't be trusted
By Unhappy Jeep Owner

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Jeep in Oct new with 3 miles on it. In Nov we began having problems with the drive train. In a highway passing situation the RPM would red line but the transmission would lose power causing the Jeep to slow. This has happened at least 5 different times. It has been to the dealer every time. Each time they say they can't find the problem and that all the codes are correct. The first time we were told it was still in the break-in period, next they told us to turn off the traction cont but it happened again. Twice this issue has caused a near collision. We have contacted Chrysler and so far have not had any help. We have now gone to the NHTSA. Chrysler has a problem.

Favorite Features

I don't have any favorite features because I don't trust it any more.

Suggested Improvements

Find and fix this problem.

Sold a bad jeep that broke down on me
By Ms. Johnson

2009 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Jeep rides very smoothly as if you were in a luxury vehicle. The front seats are comfortable and the back seats are not comfortable on long trips. Your legs in the backs seat tends to hurt because the seats are up too high. I like the theater seats for view but not for comfort. My brand new jeep broke down on me: 1st the cover underneath the front end of my jeep that covers the oil fell down, 2nd my water pump went out, 3rd my tensioner belt went out that is to only name a few. I had to take my vehicle back several times to the dealer. I am not satisfied, because I take long trips and I am afraid that my jeep may brake down. The positive side of my jeep it runs through the snow perfect.

Favorite Features

My favorite is the smooth ride as if you were in a luxury vehicle; such as, a Benz. The 4x4 is excellent through the snow. The body style is nice.

Suggested Improvements

The rear theater seats need a control lever for arch individual seat to let a person lift or lower (adjust) their seats to fit their comfort. after you sell a vehicle and it keeps braking down and it is not classified under the lemon law, customers should immediately receive a new jeep.

Nice Presentation, short on performance
By Buddy Cote

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I rented a Jeep Commander V-8 for a long weekend of 800+ miles of driving my daughter home from college. If you like the classic Jeep look on outside it's appealing, but performance overall leaves much to be desired. 20 MPG highway is acceptable, but 15 city isn't, even for a V8 SUV. Interior has nice storage compartments, but seating is subpar, unsupportive, and DEADLY on long drives. Sight lines and visibility are however an asset.

Favorite Features

Outside 'clad' look, headlight assembly, outer rails, inside storage compartments

Suggested Improvements

Seating for both driver and front passenger is unsupportive, terrible for longer drives! Buttons and control knobs are not intuitive and poorly placed, cheap materials.

Not a real Jeep
By Le Roy Family

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought with 25 miles on the odometer. I come from a long line of JEEP lovers. Usually there is a lot of aftermarket support for JEEP except these fake Jeeps. I wanted a new JK 4 door but she wanted to seat 6+. So the Commander was it. At first she loved it as she only drives 16 miles to work and back 3 days. At only 1,400 miles the transmission seized and had to be fixed. We are at 10,000+ now. The back up warning and tire pressure monitor is constantly acting up and giving warning lights. I love it and hate it at the same time. The big boo boo is the IFS front suspension and the entire body is half plastic. I will stick with my 20 year old modified XJ at 200,000 miles, I can wheel it.

Favorite Features

I love the overall look of the vehicle, very JEEPish. Pretty peppy and also flex fuel.

Suggested Improvements

The Commander has the JEEP style, but that is it. Independent suspension? Come on JEEP, if I wanted that I would by a Toyota, this thing needs a solid axle front. The entire TRAIL RATED is total BS, tried wheeling it, fail! Very little aftermarket support, needs less plastic, more armor.