Used 2006 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

I think mine is a lemon
By surfsidejo

2006 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 06 S Type last Feb (2011) from a reputable Ford dealer. As soon as I got it home, my husband noticed the door seal was torn big time. I didn't notice when doing the test drive or checking it out, because I was always looking at the interior. Never thought to check areas like that. Anyway, $125.00 later we thought no more problems. 1 week later, husband was washing the car and noticed the lense on one of the fog lights was cracked. Took it for repair, $350.00, we thought we were good to go, spring comes along and we sure can't get cooled off. Everytime I slow down in traffic the AC gets warmer and warmer. Took it to reputable mechanic, $700.00 later we think we are good. Wrong.

Favorite Features

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. We bought a very good extended warranty and I have to say that is my favorite feature of this car for me. I ran out of space on the review window and I was just getting started. Let me just say that in the past year, if I had NOT purchased the extended warranty on this car, we would have spent $10,000.00 to date. That is one year. My brakes have been squeaking also, so the next thing on my list is to have those checked out. I wonder how much that is going to cost. I am amazed at all the good cars I've been reading about. I love to drive it but it is not the car for anyone on any kind of budget.

Muscle car in a Tuxedo
By Oldengineer

2006 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My car is the VDP model with navigation. The car is very luxurious both inside and out, yet, handles and runs like a muscle car. On trips, the fuel economy this car gets, despite having 300 HP on tap, is excellent. On the interstate, the car is dead quiet, and, very comfortable on long trips. This is my third Jag, and, by far, the best one yet.

Favorite Features

1. The powertrain with the 4.2V8 coupled to the 6 speed ZF transmission. 2. The super comfortable seating. 3. The classic styling and gorgeous interior. 4. The excellent braking system. 5. The dash and controls layout.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the dash message displays are hard to read in the daytime. The Nav system is cumbersome to use, and, doesn't offer the functionality that some of the portable systems do.

2006 Jaguar S type VDP
By Joseph

2006 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I also had that vibrating when speed was between 30000 - 50000 MPH. It was a simple fix, not the roof or ceiling as a previous poster overstated. I was angry my dealer charged me $100.00 to 'turn on' an electrical feature on an 'option' I paid for. Jaguar headquarters refunded me that $100.00 when I advised them this to be an unfair practice. The Premium audio system needs to be more powerful not necessarily to be louder but rather to render RICHER sound quality. The Sub Woofer is barely noticeable. The telephone volume was also too low to hear comfortably - probably associated with my comment above about the stereo. A/C does not cool the car unless the setting is set at 65 degrees.

Favorite Features

On screen navigation system - except there should also be Chinese languages for my wife to use.

Suggested Improvements

Better audio system and telephone system. Should be more powerful eliminating distortion. Include Chinese as a language choice. The depreciation of this vehicle is grossly unfair! Better merchandise support NET in the trunk. This net should secure at the bottom as well as the top.

rv
By Rava

2006 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Leather is great, every thing is electric, It has it's own personal phone with hands free, a lot of room in it.

Favorite Features

I like the phone

Suggested Improvements

Back lights have changed, and the car is longer now