Used 2004 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar S-Type

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Sportscar luxury
By Nice car

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving this car because it has sports car handling. I am having trouble with acceleration hesitation. Dealer shops are few and expensive. This car has a long hood and low ground clearance that my wife dislikes. The car is kind of difficult to get in, but comfortable once inside except for long trips. This car shines out good, but is a magnet for vandals.

Favorite Features

Tight steering, tremendous gas mileage (32+), moon roof, muti-toned leather interior. I like the acceleration power.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats are too tight a fit, there is little wiggle room once seated; there is too much road noise from the front and wind noise from near the windshield; the car has too little ground clearance.

Love/hate relationship
By Craig Mount

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I and everyone else who rides in the car love the styling, inside and out. It is very comfortable and cruises great on any highway - smooth, fast, quiet, and 30+ mpg. My spouse really loves it in every way. But I pay the maintenance and repairs!! And at 30000 miles it has had a lot of repairs - radio (several times), transmission, heater valve, upper radiator hose, trunk, front wheel well, etc. We have 5 vehicles and drive a lot of miles a year 85,000+. I love to drive this car - it is my favorite, but the repairs are very disappointing.

Favorite Features

Styling, classy appearance, highway performance, comfort, quiteness, sensors inside and out, AC system.

Suggested Improvements

Durability, transmission, cooling system, trunk shelf.

Best S-Type R
By Andy

2004 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I just purchased this 2004 S-Type R with only 32,214 miles in February of 2008. My previous Jag was a 2002 S-Type Sport 4.0 which I thought was one of the best cars that I have owned until I bought the R model. It handles like a sports car, rides like a luxury car and is just beautiful. The car brakes with discipline and accelerates without question. The car is classic Jaguar but with an understated look of aggression. The rims are very in-line with the overall appearance of the car. Whenever I take someone in it, they just sit there, like in a daze, speechless. Love this car.

Favorite Features

The whole package. Great front end with the larger grill. Love the Continemtal tires that look like steam rollers. Love the interior and comfort and the performance is beyond reproach. When you hear the supercharger whine up, there's nothing like that. Great motor sound, and the brakes are great.

Suggested Improvements

Better A/C, faster nav system and something that distinguishes that you have a supercharger. It was love at first sight!

In and out of the shop constantly
By CHRIS

2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a beautiful car. If it only ran as good as it looks. I had a 2001 S Type which was an excellent car. However, the reliability went south on this one. It has been in the shop many times - sometimes for weeks. Jaguar was not particularly responsive or compassionate about selling me a lemon. I won't buy another jaguar.

Favorite Features

The inside and outside coach work is beautiful - too bad the electrical system is not that good.

I will not drive any thing else
By dan00z28

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Jaguar's product is outstanding. I previously owned a 2003 x type which was perfect but a little under powered with the 2.5 motor (which Jaguar stopped making). But this time my wife encouraged me to move up. Now understand I own a lot of cars such as a 68 chevell, 2000 camaro z28, 2003 ford expedition, 96 mercedes sl 500 and this 2004 S type I bought this week. By far this my favorite vehicle of all.

Favorite Features

The look of the S type, the performance and the quiet features are all selling points for my Jaguar, Jaguar has a look and feel that is unique. The factory radio sounds suberb as if I was sitting at a concert.

Suggested Improvements

No complaints! This is a first time I bought a car and didn't buy Autotrader on the way home. No regrets!