2004 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:
Bad purchase
By J Simmons on 06/01/10 06:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The S type will make a person financially poor there is always a problem fuel system, a/c system. Every time I go in for an oil change there is a new repair problem.You can never get an assistance from the service department there a charge to tell you what is wrong with the car. The car is pretty and that is the only good things I can say. I will not purchase another Jaguar.

In the shop more than on the road
By Wendy Willis on 12/29/09 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2004 s-type spends far too much time in the shop. The car has 57,000 miles on it, but it seems to be falling apart. In the last 6 months my car has been in the shop 4 times. One time for 7 weeks because parts had to be made in Britain. Problems have been with the entire AC unit, radiator system, cooling leaks, catalytic converter, some kind of crack in the engine. Thank God for the extended warranty, however it is about to expire. I will be getting rid of this lemon next week as soon as I pick it up from being repaired yet again. It looks good, but runs terribly!

2004 Jaguar S-type 3.0L
By JDA on 04/29/09 10:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Superb car. Bought it in Nov 08 with 83K miles. It still had 1 yr/17K miles left on original factory extended warranty and I only paid $8,500 for the car at the dealer. Fantastic ride and quality. I've had $4,000+ of warranty work already to fix all problems (trans/motor/radiator leaks, and rear door lock, and transmission computer software reload). Highly recommend getting at least 6 months of warranty coverage to initially fix problems. Antifreeze is $17 per liter (Jag fluid only). New front brake pads and rotors will cost $700, so this car is not for the timid budget. Overall reliability has been very good though and a GREAT car overall. No regrets!

Incredible Value
By MM on 02/12/09 18:38 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I couldn't believe the price for this beautiful, like new Jaguar (under 12,450) purchased just this year. Never owned a Jaguar before, but am impressed by the 6-speed ZF automatic (same as used in BMW's 7 series), excellent fuel economy, and though a V6, it really accelerates. Gorgeous interior and exterior - can't take my eyes off of it. Quiet, smooth drive.

Saloon that means business
By Classic_Engineer on 09/18/08 15:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I found it with only 16k miles for ~$25k < than the BMW or MB. With a billion of those cars in L.A. this one stands out. The styling is beautiful, understated, and more masculine than the base S-Type, with performance to back up the R badge. No issues at 21k miles. BRILLIANT ENGINE! The flat torque band means very linear response, yet the car remains composed. 0-60 in 5.3s, 1/4mi in 13.5s, faster than you'll ever need. Very smooth in the city, but the CATS system really shines when you toss it into an off-camber turn. It's hard to upset this car. Push the SPORT button, punch it, downshift, come in very hot w/traction off, turn in, break it loose, and grin. Then roll up to the valet.

Sportscar luxury
By Nice car on 04/30/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving this car because it has sports car handling. I am having trouble with acceleration hesitation. Dealer shops are few and expensive. This car has a long hood and low ground clearance that my wife dislikes. The car is kind of difficult to get in, but comfortable once inside except for long trips. This car shines out good, but is a magnet for vandals.

Love/hate relationship
By Craig Mount on 04/03/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I and everyone else who rides in the car love the styling, inside and out. It is very comfortable and cruises great on any highway - smooth, fast, quiet, and 30+ mpg. My spouse really loves it in every way. But I pay the maintenance and repairs!! And at 30000 miles it has had a lot of repairs - radio (several times), transmission, heater valve, upper radiator hose, trunk, front wheel well, etc. We have 5 vehicles and drive a lot of miles a year 85,000+. I love to drive this car - it is my favorite, but the repairs are very disappointing.

Best S-Type R
By Andy on 02/19/08 15:13 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I just purchased this 2004 S-Type R with only 32,214 miles in February of 2008. My previous Jag was a 2002 S-Type Sport 4.0 which I thought was one of the best cars that I have owned until I bought the R model. It handles like a sports car, rides like a luxury car and is just beautiful. The car brakes with discipline and accelerates without question. The car is classic Jaguar but with an understated look of aggression. The rims are very in-line with the overall appearance of the car. Whenever I take someone in it, they just sit there, like in a daze, speechless. Love this car.

In and out of the shop constantly
By CHRIS on 02/12/08 12:40 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a beautiful car. If it only ran as good as it looks. I had a 2001 S Type which was an excellent car. However, the reliability went south on this one. It has been in the shop many times - sometimes for weeks. Jaguar was not particularly responsive or compassionate about selling me a lemon. I won't buy another jaguar.

I will not drive any thing else
By dan00z28 on 05/21/07 09:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Jaguar's product is outstanding. I previously owned a 2003 x type which was perfect but a little under powered with the 2.5 motor (which Jaguar stopped making). But this time my wife encouraged me to move up. Now understand I own a lot of cars such as a 68 chevell, 2000 camaro z28, 2003 ford expedition, 96 mercedes sl 500 and this 2004 S type I bought this week. By far this my favorite vehicle of all.