1997 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
I own a Rodeo and wanted a Trooper
By ccarnes on 03/17/12 22:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I just bought our Trooper w/ 133 k miles for 3K. The previous owner told me about the oil cooler o-rings leaking oil. Through the research I had done, I knew this was a common and easy to fix problem. Isuzu fixed the oil leak problem in 98, but it is very common in every year before that. ALL ISUZU'S USE LOTS OF OIL. It does not affect performance or longevity. I feel like I could go anywhere in our Trooper. It still looks sharp, but at 6'4" and 300 lb. it is a little cramped for me in the drivers seat. My kids have much more space in the back seat than they do in my Rodeo.

Perfect family car
By Jay Vaughn on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great and reliable vehicle, it has a strong unstoppable motor, automatic trans but it works great, 4wd works well never have had a single issue. has 225,176 miles. still stronger then ever runs like brand new. Have all paperwork on it its well maintained i would never want more from it.

Keep on tickin'
By DrDave on 06/01/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the original owner. Have 196,000 miles on it. I'm on my 3rd starter. Talked with other owners with some problem...hard to replace too. Have to drop crossmember. What's up with filling the transmission fluid...stinks! It's hard to get to and no dip stick...who's the DIP? Better replace your tranny filter or it'll start bucking like a bronco. Under powered with rather lousy mpg. Keep up with the tunes and it'll keep going. Great 4wd with studs in winter since i live in snow country.

The most underrated SUV ever.
By Trooper on 04/25/06 06:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I had this Isuzu for almost three years and it has been a real blessing for the whole family. It has the power one needs and the reliability to take you anywhere. This is way better car than any Ford or Chevy SUV can be.

lovin it
By mroute on 11/04/05 18:39 PM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had 1 problem in 2 years, a broken power steering hose. A little heavy on the gas consumption, but it is a big vehicle. Nice tall ride, able to see all the other idiots coming at me in traffic. Comfy.

This thing rocks!
By Frankie The Shard on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Rock solid truck. The best I've ever seen. Here's a cool thing in the midwest. Show me one that is all rusted out. You won't find many because of the excellent ground clearance and plastic coverings over the wheelwells. This truck is a dream for all of you who have to handle offroading and tough weather. Bring on the Landcruisers and LandRovers!!

Great Truck for the Money!
By tufdude on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased our very clean '97 Isuzu Trooper in September 2002 with 90,000 miles for $8000. Vehicle currently has 137,000 miles and the only repair we have had was a new fuel pump. This is a solid, quality truck from a little known manufacturer. We love our Trooper!

BEST SUV DEAL
By femurfx on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The best value out there for a vehicle that is 100% reliable, roomy and honestly fun to drive. I didn'y think I would like it as much as I do.

2003 Review
By Nolan Bryant on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Realiability has been a good experience for me.

Solid like a rock....
By Sam Krugolets on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Great SUV, reliability is great but new 2003 will be build in USA. We will see how it will be now.