Used 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata Hybrid model:

Be Careful!!
By karen

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan w/Panoramic Sunroof Package (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We were quite pleased with our Sonata Hybrid at first, but it definitely doesn't get the mileage that is posted on the sales price!! This past summer we ran into a major problem with the engine, a loud clanking sound started and from there we found out our engine needed to be replaced !! This happening to a car we had for just 3 years! So they had the car for about a month and a half because they couldn't find the parts needed to fix it, on top of that it was our fault that the engine had sludged up because they said we hadn't done appropriate oil changes totally not true!!They said they found large chunks of metal throughout the engine!! So therefore Hyundai responded that the work was not covered under warranty which we are still under!!! Thousands of dollars later we have our car back! Now 4 months later we have found out Hyundai has issued a recall for Hyundai sonatas 2011 and 2012 for this exact problem the recall states that they found large chunks of metal in the engine !! The exact same problem we had yet when we called about the recall our car is not in the recall!!! Ridiculous!!! I will not recommend Hyundai they don't stand up for the customer!

It's better then expected
By Mitch

While milage drop during the winter 24 city / 32 highway, it gets good when it worm up. Last trip from Iowa to Salt Lake City I got 36.7 avg while using cruise control at 80 mph. Comming back I drop the speed to 72 mph and use my skill to see what can I get out of this car. My average was 40.6 mpg

Just like riding in a boad
By elias7

Bought brand new 2013 sonata hybrid ltd and been driving it for 18 months. Drove many different brands in the past, (BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, GM, Nissan, Ford). This car has very poor driving dynamics, it rocks back and forth, nose dives too much on road imperfections and during braking.

Gas pedal is very irresponsive, almost dangerous when you're trying to clear an intersection at orange lights. Braking is too harsh when you first touch the pedal then fades to very poor when pressed hard. Panoramic room creaks, even after 3 attempts from dealer to fix. Seats are very uncomfortable on trips longer than 2 hours.
needs alignment every 20k. Not that good on gas. car makes you dizzy.

Just an ordinary car. Nothing special. It does what it's designed to do but with no spirit.

Fix the suspension, make the seats wider, adjust the gas and break pedal position. Fix the cruise control as it's temperamental. Improve fuel economy or reduce price.

NOT A BAD RIDE AT ALL
By samsmith76

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Got about 4K mi on my 2013 Sonata Hybrid LTD (no sunroof). People have mentioned they don’t like the brakes with this car but to me brakes are fine (I’m not a tailgater though!). They take a bit getting used to at first. People seem to forget that the brakes are specially designed to capture energy when you slow down and brake to help recharge the HEV battery. I quickly learned that you shouldn’t mash the brakes. Nice and gentle, steady as she goes = $aving $ at the pump!

LIKES: PRICE, VALUE, Warranty, lifetime HEV battery warranty. Nice styling, alloy wheels, chrome accents. Powerful engine 199 hp combined w/ gas + electric motor and has nice acceleration when you really need it. Roomy interior, comfortable seats, nice quiet ride, seems like a nice solid car so far. Great sound system (Infinity 400W). Decent mpg, 37-38 city, 40-41 on highway so far.

DISLIKES: Backup camera takes a bit to pop up on the LCD screen at times. There are some blinds spots in the car with its wide side door pillars and low profile roof styling. Mileage is good, but I want great mileage. Ride is usually nice but can be a little stiff on bumpy roads at times. The steering is good but can be bit dull at times. I get a small vibration in the speakers in the front door when music is real loud (with more bass than normal).

Safe
By consumeresq

I only had my '13 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for 6 weeks before it was totaled by someone running a red light.
The car did what is was supposed to and protected my son and I from serious injury.
The airbags went off and even the body shop said it fared very well for the impact it received.

I enjoyed the car and think you get a lot for your money.
The gas mileage was a little disappointing, but it had better than expected acceleration up hills.
I think it has great styling and looks a lot like a Lexus.
My only other complaint would be the gas pedal had a strange placement, I felt I had to have my seat too close in order to comfortable press on the gas pedal.

Navigation, back-up camera, power seats. Nice cell phone holder. Phone charger in back seat.

Gas pedal placement, power passenger seat. Be able to program all doors to unlock with one click. Maybe auto call with BlueLink when vehicle is in an accident (like OnStar does).