1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
elantra best economy car
By bluedragon on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

its fun to drive easy on the wallet has the power when needed.

Had1
By had1 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 59000 miles on it for my daughter. Based on reviews I thought it should hold up for ok for a first car. The car has 80000 miles now with no mechanical problems! We just went shopping for her second car, she wanted to "move up" a little. After driving four other manufactures cars guess what she bought... 2002 Elantra!

98 Elantra
By Treebeard5 on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has been a reliable vehicle. It lacks the comforts of more expensive vehicles, but for the money its not a bad buy. No mechanical problems, just general maintenance including belts, hoses, battery, tires, etc. Would buy Hyundai again.

Great for the money
By HAC on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car is reliable, economical, sound and safe. Have performed routine maintenance and the car still performs almost like new. Was involved in a collission (was rear- ended) and damage to the car was very limited, while the other car was severely damaged. Extremely safe car.

At first we were afraid
By AprilW on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

At first we had a lot of problems with this car. I think a lot of it had to do with the dealership more than anything--we had to take it back 4-5 times before they fixed what was wrong. Ever since it was fixed, though, we haven't had a problem with anything except the usual maintenance. We had to have a tune-up pretty early, plus other things that would typically last a little bit longer.

Fun Car/Reliable
By vinney on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1998 and my wife loves it. She would rather keep it than give it up. This car has the 5 speed that gives it some extra pep. I enjoy driving it so I can race some of the teenagers that think there civics are fast. I usually blow there doors off and I have nothing but stock.. The only issue that I had was regular maintanance. Battery, brakes, wipers and tires.

Great Car
By Derek Benoit on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle new andI was weary of Hyundai's reputation but decided to take my chances after a surprising test drive. This was also before they offered the great warranty. I have never regretted my decision. My Elantra now has 135,000 miles on it w/o any problems at all! The only items I have had to replace in over 4 years are considered normal maintanence such as wiper blades, tires, brakes, and a battery. The car has never failed to start, and has driven flawlessly in a number of extreme conditions as I live in the northeast. I just passed the strict Massachusetts emissions test w/o a problem at all.

If you can spend the money...upgrade
By Warren Burton on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car is 4 years old with 70K miles and wont pass smog by a large margin...this is a warning to you all. Of course the "great" new Hyundai warranty does not cover emissions at this point. The car accelerates so badly you almost get killed every time you have to merge on to the freeway. Using the airconditioning cuts what little power you have in half. Stay away from Romero Motors in Ontario California as they are a bunch of crooks and do not back up the products they sell.

If only I had done some research
By tueyjr on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought my Elantra, I was in need of a cheap vehicle fast. I wish I could go back and choose a bike, a three-legged blind mule, or a good pair of shoes. This was the worst buy. I began to think the check engine light was supposed to be on all the time. It was ok, though, because of Hyundai's warranty...right??? Well not if the warranty department claims nothing is wrong. It also liked to shift in and out of gears at constant speed and elevation, but according to the warranty department this was normal too. HMMM!!! I will never buy a Hundai product again.