Used 1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Got a spare Tranny?
By BoyDestructo

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used a bit over a year ago with 60K on it. It has proven to be more cheap than inexpensive. Everything about this car feels cheap. Now, with 71K on the odometer it's in need of a new transmission. Not inexpensive, definately cheap.

Favorite Features

Low used purchase price, decent mileage.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY!!!

Been a great car
By Bingo

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

So pleasantly surprised by this car since we bought it for a runaround localy. Has been just great and has done several 3-5 hour trips one way. Overall, can't beat the value and fun to drive experience of this car. (42mpg on turnpike speeds!!!) Would advise anyone to pick one of these up for everyday transportation.

Favorite Features

Above average stereo system both sound wise and options (am/fm, cassette and CD).

Suggested Improvements

Cloth holds up well on seats but nothing to brag home about from stylish point of view.

Serves its Purpose
By to dust

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car(new) because I was saving for a house. Now 3 children later, I use it to commute 70 miles a day. It now has 110,000 miles and it is a perfect car for my needs. It does not handle great, it is not the most comfortable car, and over 70 mph it sounds like the rubberband is going to snap. Overall, it has been very reliable and I still get better then 33 miles to the gallon. I have been very satified with the decision to buy this car.

Favorite Features

Cost to operate very low and the fuel economy is great.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats. The road noise at highway speeds.

Amazed by this car
By Jim D

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 2000 with 24K on it. Other then normal wear and tear parts, I have spent less then $300 on repairs to this car. It has over 90,000 miles on it now and has been through the hard New England winters and still runs great. I will be looking to get a new one whenever this one dies.

Favorite Features

Not bad on the budget.

Suggested Improvements

It does not like to go up hill.

Not bad for the buck!
By fce

1998 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Not a bad little car. I bought it for commuting with 105000 miles. It had a bad auto transmission. As far as I know this is the major downfall of this car. I have junk yard connections so I put the trans. in myself. It is only a 2 hour job at most. Bam! I got a decent little car. The car drives solid, no rattles, it even handles pretty good.

Favorite Features

Great MPG about 33 - 35 highway. Interior is very nice and durable. 1998 with 105K and the interior looks new.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission, Neutral drops will kill it quickly. Always make sure this car is stopped before changing gears. Or just get the 5 speed. Minor suggestion is the cup holder design, If you can not have a cup in it if you have something plugged into the cigarette lighter.